Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
for ssl use letsencrypt (with certbot). it's free :blessed: and good enough for hobby/project sites :ehh: .

to setup on linux it is just a handful of commands.

digital ocean has a tutorial for linux ..

on windows .... :scust:

with lunanode you set up your server then you have to go into the DNS section and set up an A record and NS records to lunanodes nameservers.

on the namecheap side go into the DNS section and point three entries at the lunanode nameservers using toggle set to "custom DNS".

if you are running your own linux server then set up ufw. blacklist everything and then just open the ports for ssl (maybe change from 22), desktop (3389 if you are using it) and your web stuff (80, 443).

if you are hosting linux on amazon then still use ufw but you might need to open more ports. i don't know amazon hosting.

which webserver(s) are you using? you might have mentioned it before but i haven't read all of the previous posts.

:hhh::picard::scust:
I'm not using a a dedicated server to host on amazon. I just set up an s3 bucket, set it to allow public access and to server the files as a website, and then used cloudfront to act as like a website sitting on a CDN (i think thats how they explained it). I think letsencrypt didn't have a method for creating an SSL cert for a namescheap domain (or maybe it was GoDaddy).

Sorry, I might be confusing you guys about the SSL and domain. My business partner has the Godaddy domain on his Godaddy account, but i don't have the login for that. I needed an SSL cert so I could serve the backend api with https, so I just bought a new domain with namescheap (similarly named) and got the SSL for that site and used if for https.

Now I'm working on creating just a static webpage, since the api backend is for my mobile app, I just wanted something simple where I didn't have to worry about a server.

Lol @ your windows comment. I will only ever host on Linux. They shoulda never told me about WSL and Docker desktop. Love me some linux deployments

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
I'm not using a a dedicated server to host on amazon. I just set up an s3 bucket, set it to allow public access and to server the files as a website, and then used cloudfront to act as like a website sitting on a CDN (i think thats how they explained it). I think letsencrypt didn't have a method for creating an SSL cert for a namescheap domain (or maybe it was GoDaddy).

letsencrypt (as i use it) needs a configured server (e.g. apache) with your ssl domain configured. the configured domainname needs to resolve to the host that you run letsencrypt on (proof of ownership). it then generates a key set, signs them, places them in /etc/... and configures the server (apache) to use them. certs are signed for 90 days and certbot sets up a timer/cron to renew the certs automatically on a regular basis.

it needs to run as root.

Sorry, I might be confusing you guys about the SSL and domain. My business partner has the Godaddy domain on his Godaddy account, but i don't have the login for that. I needed an SSL cert so I could serve the backend api with https, so I just bought a new domain with namescheap (similarly named) and got the SSL for that site and used if for https.

ok. with lets encrypt you don't need domain ownership. the domain should be pointed at your server ip though.

Now I'm working on creating just a static webpage, since the api backend is for my mobile app, I just wanted something simple where I didn't have to worry about a server.

have a look at lunanode. it's pretty straightforward to use and you can create a model image which can then be used to create servers whenever you need them. you can also create standard servers like LAMP, wordpress, gitlab etc. an m.1s (1 cpu basic server) is priced at 3.50 USD p/m.

lunanode hosts servers in canada.

Lol @ your windows comment. I will only ever host on Linux.

:blessed:

They shoulda never told me about WSL and Docker desktop. Love me some linux deployments

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
letsencrypt (as i use it) needs a configured server (e.g. apache) with your ssl domain configured. the configured domainname needs to resolve to the host that you run letsencrypt on (proof of ownership). it then generates a key set, signs them, places them in /etc/... and configures the server (apache) to use them. certs are signed for 90 days and certbot sets up a timer/cron to renew the certs automatically on a regular basis.

it needs to run as root.

ok. with lets encrypt you don't need domain ownership. the domain should be pointed at your server ip though.
Ok, so then with namescheap, if I use them or Godaddy for site hosting, it won't work because we don't actually get access to the server, but can do sftp to manage site files. But if I point the CNAMEs to my own server, I can just use LetsEncrypt on that server and we'd be gucci?

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
Ok, so then with namescheap, if I use them or Godaddy for site hosting, it won't work because we don't actually get access to the server, but can do sftp to manage site files. But if I point the CNAMEs to my own server, I can just use LetsEncrypt on that server and we'd be gucci?

yes. should be.

:ehh:

the available platforms/servers are on this page.

Screenshot-2023-05-26-at-16-39-38.png

Screenshot-2023-05-26-at-16-39-47.png

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
After doing all this work to get my react-native running with expo-cli, It creates an APK file that can't run. Now I'm rying to copy over the needed files in a straight react native project to see if I can get it to build without expo. This was after first creating a new expo project and then copying over the code from the old react native project, cause that was erroring. I think the errors were just conflicts in the package versions, or at least I hope so. Hopefully I can figure this out, because expo was 0 help in telling me why the app can run in the expo go app, but not when I install the app by itself. We'll see how long I can stay up tonight

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
An example of Prompt Engineer requirements:

You Have:

• 3+ years of experience with implementing machine learning models and other data science techniques to analyze collected data in Python leveraging libraries, including PyTorch
  • 2+ years of experience with designing, building, and executing statistical models and developing ML algorithms, including supervised, unsupervised, or reinforcement applications
  • 2+ years of experience with analyzing structured and unstructured data sources
  • 1+ years of experience with designing and developing AI prompts using large language models, including GPT-3 or ChatGPT and other solutions, including Lex or Rasa
  • Experience with refining general purpose language models for specific applications
  • Experience with natural language processing methods, including text mining, conversational AI, or leveraging large language models
  • Experience with engineering, testing and evaluating the performance of AI prompts
  • Ability to obtain a security clearance
  • Bachelor's degree

Nice If You Have:

• Experience with distributed programming languages, including Spark or Scala
  • Experience with data engineering and data science tools, including Databricks, ElasticSearch, Apache NiFi, or StreamSets
  • Experience with cloud services, including AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud
  • Experience with visualization packages, including Plotly, Seaborn, or ggplot2
  • Experience with performing data transformations or data modeling
  • Experience with leveraging dashboard solutions, including Plotly, Django, Streamlit, or Flask
  • Possession of excellent verbal and written communication skills
  • Possession of excellent critical thinking skills to assess numbers, trends, and data to reach new conclusions based on findings

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
Had to give a presentation at my job , and needed my web browser for it . The window is was opened to was the coli's homepage with my username and all ...hope one of them don't decide to do some investigation on me :sadcam::sadcam: it was recorded too.

I usually clear my browsing history so nothing weird shows on the url bar, while typing.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Had to give a presentation at my job , and needed my web browser for it . The window is was opened to was the coli's homepage with my username and all ...hope one of them don't decide to do some investigation on me :sadcam::sadcam:
:snoop: why are you on The Coli with a company device? Hope it wasn't recorded for somebody to really pore over in the future.

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
:snoop: why are you on The Coli with a company device? Hope it wasn't recorded for somebody to really pore over in the future.
It was on my personal computer , I work remotely and yet they didnt send me a company laptop, and it was recorded but it was just 5 people besides me ...2 of my peers that im doing training with ...my mentor and and 2 other guys.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Damn, no company laptop? They got you vpn/remote desktopping into a computer or something?
It was on my personal computer , I work remotely and yet they didnt send me a company laptop, and it was recorded but it was just 5 people besides me ...2 of my peers that im doing training with ...my mentor and and 2 other guys.