Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

keepemup

Banned
Daps
Ok so I got a cold ass idea for an app, but Im still learning HTML and CSS lol...so who do I go to to make the app for me?
What can it range in cost wise? Id like a map of the city in it like Uber

I have no idea how to license ideas. In my opinion you'll either need a lot of capital, or at least be a decent programmer where you can get involved with others. Maybe the github community will be willing to work with you.
But if you do ever get around to doing it yourself, one of the best books to learn app making is Android Programming - The Big Nerd Ranch Guide. You'll need to download Android Studio which Google makes readily available ( http://developer.android.com/tools/studio/index.html) and you'll need an android device to actually verify that your app works as intended.

Donald J Trump

H.N.I.C
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
USA
I have no idea how to license ideas. In my opinion you'll either need a lot of capital, or at least be a decent programmer where you can get involved with others. Maybe the github community will be willing to work with you.
But if you do ever get around to doing it yourself, one of the best books to learn app making is Android Programming - The Big Nerd Ranch Guide. You'll need to download Android Studio which Google makes readily available ( http://developer.android.com/tools/studio/index.html) and you'll need an android device to actually verify that your app works as intended.
is there an equivalent one for apple?
also after I get done learning HTML and CSS, what do you suggest I learn next so that I may make my own app one day

keepemup

Banned
Daps
also after I get done learning HTML and CSS, what do you suggest I learn next so that I may make my own app one day
Why of course

The development tools you will need can be found here: https://developer.apple.com/devcenter/ios/index.action

And there is a book that will help you as well: iOS Programming | Big Nerd Ranch

For the books that I've mentioned, you can simply google the title along with the term 'pdf' and you'll easily be able to download an electronic copy of the book.

For creating internet apps, you really need javascript and jquery and some sql, because any good app these days will more than likely involve interaction with a database.
I highly recommend this book: A Software Engineer Learns HTML5, JavaScript & jQuery

Sane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London Town
Ok so I got a cold ass idea for an app, but Im still learning HTML and CSS lol...so who do I go to to make the app for me?
You should make it yourself. You'll learn faster that way

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

Stick with HTML/CSS/Javascript until you have a solid grasp of those. You can make web apps with those and you can even make phone apps using 'phonegap'. Trying to hone in on android development will be too much for you, since Java is a very different language from javascript.

Richard Wright

Living Legend
Daps

If your serious about an app, inbox me. I could have an entire team working on it.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I've been spending the past few days reading about object oriented programming and also going through a basic book on c++. It's fun messing around with all the different languages. I think I'll stay in the C branch for a while (Java, C#, Javascript(Cish in syntax), C++, PHP). What has messing around with these different languages taught me? It keeps me from getting overly tethered to one 'way' of doing things in programming.

Although 'procedural code' is typically seen as bad, I think learning a procedural language like C is a positive in understanding what is going on, simply because it shows you that computer programs are essentially instructions that are sequentially executed. Being exposed to nothing but OO can hide that point. OO isn't something that is mandatory to use when programming, but it's a useful abstraction that allows for better organization of code and makes it easier for larger teams to work together.

Functional programming is an interesting twist as well, and it'll be very interesting seeing how it is really used in Javascript. Can't wait to go through this book on it.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I think one of the biggest aspects of learning programming is patience. It's very easy to want to rush and learn everything to make these super awesome programs, but really, it doesn't work that way. Don't rush to 'make an app' or rush to make a money. Take your time and understand programming and realize that it may take years for you to really understand what you are doing.

I prefer to avoid what is a 'shallow' approach to the subject, which consists of starting from ground zero, going to some 'coding bootcamp' and learning how to crank out 'apps' in 3 months. I think that sort of environment will give you a shallow understanding of programming and create the sort of programmer that is always on stackoverflow or some such site googling solutions to the myriad of problems they will face, and they will end up creating a slop of code that, although it might work initially, they don't really understand exactly why it works, and i will be unmaintainable. Ultimately, I'm trying to avoid becoming a 'library user', aka someone who knows a bit about programming, but if the library doesn't supply the feature, I'm stuck and unable to do anything.

This is a fantastic read for someone who is interested in the field
http://norvig.com/21-days.html

It's 'learn programming in 10 years' instead of 21 days. In other words. The 10 years thing is more of an arbitrary number, but it's essentially saying to treat programming as a craft that you seek to master, and recognize that it takes TIME... it's no different than the master sculptor or painter whose first concern isn't making a ton of money, but is rather learning everything about and mastering all the concepts to produce enduring artwork.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis

Mobile Platforms ( iOS & Android ) have built-in Map api's.

https://www.codeschool.com/courses/ios-operation-mapkit

Honestly, for hiring a programmer. You are better off doing it yourself unless you have $$$$$ to throw away. Apps usually take months to make.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Emberjs, its been so long! Time to get it poppin again.

Man, how do you guys stay focused on learning something. I have all these ideas and there's so many different platforms to work on...

Richard Wright

Living Legend
Daps
Emberjs, its been so long! Time to get it poppin again.

Man, how do you guys stay focused on learning something. I have all these ideas and there's so many different platforms to work on...

Its easier to learn when theres a check in it :mjpls:

@kevm3

Dont underestimate libraries breh. In the real world getting it done on time is just as important as getting it done right.

Richard Wright

Living Legend
Daps
Started my new internship today. I report directly to the CTO. Only making 12/hour though :upsetfavre:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

@kevm3

Dont underestimate libraries breh. In the real world getting it done on time is just as important as getting it done right.

For production purposes, I'd definitely utilize a library. There's no sense in reinventing the wheel there. When it comes to studying, I'd rather work on making things from scratch. For example, I'd have no problems utilizing the typical tools of the trade if I'm making a website for someone, but if I'm making my own game for learning purposes, I'd rather go and do things from scratch just to have a real understanding of what I'm doing. For a commercial game, I'd have to go with an engine, since writing game engines from scratch with a single programmer isn't as feasible as it used to be when games were simple 2d.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ

@kevm3

Its not necessarily about the current check, but its about that future check, and endless possibilities.