Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I don't think the "best programming language" discussion will ever die. As many times as a new language has came out to replace ______, nothing's ever really gone away. Ill watch the video later, but I'm sure they're talking about pros and cons of languages, but I'd be surprised if they come up with a "best".
Yeah, John Carmack pretty much said he works with C++ the most so he knows it the best. Basically it'll come down to what you're most comfortable with and whoever is building a project should take into account how many which __ programmers can you find.

Highlights/discussion from interview:
  • Using Python right now mainly because of the work he's doing with General A.I.
  • Not a fan of Template C++ much, mainly sticks to the basics. Very C-like/influenced code.
  • Likes what Golang is doing and matches what he described earlier: easy to get people onboard, very simple language.
  • Only used Rust for a short period, no opinions on it.
  • Thinks Javascript is really good for what it does. Pretty impressed the language is kept together considering what the code looks like underneath the hood.
    • Edit: Said Javascript expanding to many things. Mainly really good for U.I programming.
  • Ran for a few years with Lisp, Haskell and the functional programming languages. Made him think about problems differently but basically said too much over abstraction.
    • Along similar lines mentioned he thinks people should emphasize that they work on a team, so the over-abstractions make things more complicated and the functional programming community is really known for that (building their own systems/language).
One of the previous companies I worked at had a few people who personally worked with or on the same team as John Carmack over at Zenimax. Said dude was insane as a worker.

Last edited:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I'll be honest, I be on the same wave. I respect if for how you can put together front ends with it, but I've had my chance with it outside of front ends. Hard pass.
I'm not much of a fan of it either but I work with what they tell me to :manny: . I'm not high enough up on the totem pole to dictate direction and people above me actually listen.

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
Anyone else have the occasional week where they don't do shyt? I'm a lil burnt after my last project ended and ive been moved onto a new one.
The last 3 weeks have been a drag for me. I was basically doing nothing acting like im working. It wasnt until 2 days ago I started to be productive again. Sleeping 2 hours earlier than usual helped a lot, it seems. Proper sleep is really underrated.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
hinks Javascript is really good for what it does. Pretty impressed the language is kept together considering what the code looks like underneath the hood.
  • Edit: Said Javascript expanding to many things. Mainly really good for U.I programming.

That's a horrible take. Whoever said that should have their whole bloodline ashamed of them. :scust:

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
Kind of a crazy question to ask, but what ya'll think is the next wave? Right now everything is web/A.I. and Javascript (basically anything with a web browser or an interface to the web is using Javascript). I'm trying to imagine what the next meta/interface is going to be (probably a trillion dollar question tbh).

Honestly, if I had the time I'd become a master at Smalltalk.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
As someone who defended scrum on here, this was a good artcile to read to understand how its been misused:

My company does Scrum in every way but the correct way. One organization I was with struggled through SAFe because most of the teams came from waterfall disguised as agile. Probably the least stressful time I had was when my new team picked up Kanban.

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
What yall think about quantum computing? would love to be up on a tech before a good percentage of the population.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
What yall think about quantum computing? would love to be up on a tech before a good percentage of the population.

like in the early days of computing there is less separation between maths, electronics, computer science and now additionally advanced physics

there's lots of work to be done with quantum algorithms. especially fast quantum proof security algorithms.

google has a team.

DWAVE too (iirc)

what do you think about quantum computing?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
It's something I wanted to get into. I played around with QDK and Q# but ran out of steam. I'm in the same boat, I'd like to be ahead of the power curve on it.