Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

badvillain

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah right now there are a hand full of these groups where i am. detroit.

They help entrepreneurs get off the ground.

You saw that this is a ship in international waters off the coast of SF? It was primarily going to house a lot of international tech people that couldn't get papers for one reason or another.

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
You saw that this is a ship in international waters off the coast of SF? It was primarily going to house a lot of international tech people that couldn't get papers for one reason or another.
lol, no,,,, i clicked and Assumed it was something for start ups :skip:

But that is Amazing.... now that I look at it , I have never heard of this:ohhh:

Daps
I genuinely love programming. I am now looking at this book:
amazon.com/C-Programming-Language-4th-ebook/dp/B00DUW4BMS/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1416602210&sr=1-1&keywords=c%2B%2B

Looking at different languages really helps you get a broader understanding of programming in general. Looking at Java, C++ and C# really help me understand some aspects of Javascript. I was hitting a roadblock with Javascript because it was getting hard to understand all of these class-based OO patterns books were emulating. It makes it a lot easier that all of the languages I'm looking at have C-styled syntax. Going into C++ is very helpful since most of the game-programming books of any merit are written in it. I want to get my skills up to where I can make serious programs as opposed to trivial 'roll your mouse over an image and watch it switch' sort of nonsense. Learning about main program loops and how everything integrates into that is of high significance to me. Having a strong, 'algorithm-based' foundation is important as well.

Check out these links. These are for a guy who works for RAD Game Tools that is teaching people on Twitch how to make a game from scratch without using DirectX or OpenGL.

http://handmadehero.org/
http://www.youtube.com/user/handmadeheroarchive/videos
https://twitter.com/handmade_hero

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I genuinely love programming. I am now looking at this book:
amazon.com/C-Programming-Language-4th-ebook/dp/B00DUW4BMS/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1416602210&sr=1-1&keywords=c%2B%2B

Looking at different languages really helps you get a broader understanding of programming in general. Looking at Java, C++ and C# really help me understand some aspects of Javascript. I was hitting a roadblock with Javascript because it was getting hard to understand all of these class-based OO patterns books were emulating. It makes it a lot easier that all of the languages I'm looking at have C-styled syntax. Going into C++ is very helpful since most of the game-programming books of any merit are written in it. I want to get my skills up to where I can make serious programs as opposed to trivial 'roll your mouse over an image and watch it switch' sort of nonsense. Learning about main program loops and how everything integrates into that is of high significance to me. Having a strong, 'algorithm-based' foundation is important as well.

that book is more of a reference with a view examples more suited for experienced developers try this one instead

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I find CSS a nice, relaxing thing to do when my brain gets overloaded with programming. When the new CSS comes out, I imagine pages will look amazing. People have done some pretty amazing things with CSS3 already.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
machine learning is one of the most interesting fields in engineering

Stanford has a series of lectures on youtube, check it out:

great introductory course, all you really need to know for this is some discrete mathematics. assignments for these lectures can be found online as well.

Andrew Ng was the founder of the Google Brain project at Google (who's technology is used for Android's speech recognition)

learn a bit of this, start some side projects, and make some money

Last edited:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
machine learning is one of the most interesting fields in engineering

Stanford has a series of lectures on youtube, check it out:

great introductory course, all you really need to know for this is some discrete mathematics. assignments for these lectures can be found online as well.

Andrew Ng was the founder of the Google Brain project at Google (who's technology is used for Android's speech recognition)

learn a bit of this, start some side projects, and make some money

What is a decent book to learn discrete math?

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
What is a decent book to learn discrete math?
Discrete math is hard as hell. The inability to pass this class is what made me stop being a CS major. Brush up on doing proofs if you decide to go this route.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Any free lance programmers here? If so did you purchase any cyber risk insurance?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I'll be starting as a Business Analyst working on a SCRUM Team using Agile Methodology. Anyone familiar?

I've heard of Agile software development, but not really that familiar with SCRUM.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Agile == scrum

I miss the days when we had months to do a project. Now I have to deal w weekly sprints.

lol that must be why all these websites look the same these days... bootstrap, possibly angular, etc. If they are drastically cutting down the time to make sites, then I guess you got to pare down as much as possible.

Overall, I feel I have a solid grasp of JS, but I still need to perfect my understanding of prototypes, closures and 'this.'

What technologies do you feel are necessary for the JS professional? I'll probably focus on 'base' things such as AJAX and jQuery in the near future and then pick up some framework. MongoDB and Node.js on the backend. I'll probably learn some SQL just to have that in my toolkit even though sql isn't often used in the JS stack.