Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

badvillain

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Do any of you use SASS or LESS for css? I really need to get back to honing my css. I've been putting it on the backburner for JS and Java.

badvillain

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Do any of you use SASS or LESS for css? I really need to get back to honing my css. I've been putting it on the backburner for JS and Java.

I got into Less first because of it offering the client-side library. Now I use compass w SASS and usually only work in a Node dev env. But they are both pretty similar.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Did you hear about Angular 2.0? A lot of people have been kicking up dust about it since it's quite different from version 1 and is an attempt to push Google's "AtScript" language. Google really wants to replace Javascript in the browser. This is their second attempt, the first one being Dart.

I'm glad I didn't really commit to learning Angular too much if that's what's coming down the pipeline.

badvillain

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Did you hear about Angular 2.0? A lot of people have been kicking up dust about it since it's quite different from version 1 and is an attempt to push Google's "AtScript" language. Google really wants to replace Javascript in the browser. This is their second attempt, the first one being Dart.

I'm not even sold on Angular 1.x 100%. I think the MVVM they implement is really good for forms, but in team settings it gets hard to manage(unless everyone has the exact same coding conventions). So well see; they did take a lot of the bullshyt out now.

For example: I logged some ng-attributes before during development and was very disappointed that it was just using a timeout and firing a function every second checking to see if the scope key's value had change. Moving forward, I know they'll be using object.observe rather than bubbling up timeouts

Angular 2.0 dev Rob Eisenberg on why he's leaving Angular 2.0:http://eisenbergeffect.bluespire.com/leaving-angular/

Last edited:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I've come across it a couple of times while searching for some programming related odd n end. I think I actually have it bookmarked.

javascriptweekly.com is a nice js oriented news site

badvillain

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just started working on my personal site. I'm only going to have a splash slideshow for now, with additional links to my social networking profiles. I will build/add-on a portfolio/blog in the future.

Any thoughts/suggestions/critiques on the design/concept is always appreciated: http://goo.gl/pL4CKy

Perfectson

Banned
Daps
Anyone good enough to develop a good looking social media site? Looking for a developer/designer

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I've been taking a break from 'web development' studies and getting more into the computer science type aspect of everything. More specifically, I've been looking over things like data structures/algorithms as well as design patterns.

One interesting observation I've learned is that you shouldn't be afraid to make 'dirty prototypes.' In other words, don't try to make your initial attempt 'perfect' and beautiful and don't take a design pattern as some end all, be all. A design pattern is a tool, and if you can 'refactor' into it, that's better than trying to force fit design patterns into your initial coding attempt.

It's sort of like with art. You draw several loose sketches before you start working on a more structured and careful design. If you try to make the first iteration your only one and you try to fill it with all sorts of details, you are putting yourself in a situation where you may not even like the result, but you just wasted a bunch of time that would have been saved if you put optimization at the tail end of the process instead of trying to create 'perfect code' initially.