Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Just started working on my personal site. I'm only going to have a splash slideshow for now, with additional links to my social networking profiles. I will build/add-on a portfolio/blog in the future.

Any thoughts/suggestions/critiques on the design/concept is always appreciated: http://goo.gl/pL4CKy

The site has a nice theme. If I was to change something, I would take the twitter, facebook, etc. icons, and put it on the bar at top that fades in as opposed to each of the slides. They take away from the focus on the content of the site. Every time I scroll to a new slide, that's what my eyes end up looking at instead of being focused on the center of the screen with the content.

badvillain

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've been taking a break from 'web development' studies and getting more into the computer science type aspect of everything. More specifically, I've been looking over things like data structures/algorithms as well as design patterns.

One interesting observation I've learned is that you shouldn't be afraid to make 'dirty prototypes.' In other words, don't try to make your initial attempt 'perfect' and beautiful and don't take a design pattern as some end all, be all. A design pattern is a tool, and if you can 'refactor' into it, that's better than trying to force fit design patterns into your initial coding attempt.

It's sort of like with art. You draw several loose sketches before you start working on a more structured and careful design. If you try to make the first iteration your only one and you try to fill it with all sorts of details, you are putting yourself in a situation where you may not even like the result, but you just wasted a bunch of time that would have been saved if you put optimization at the tail end of the process instead of trying to create 'perfect code' initially.

Totally agree...With the mock up I posted, I am going to use codemirror for the code slides and actually code the little graphics like the "css is awesome"(think of it as little codepens). I designed that in illustrator on Tuesday and yesterday converted it all to markup. I could have "wasted time" and started coding the responsive code mirror/graphic blocks; but instead i just saved them out as SVGs and am getting the "look/feel" stuff done. After I do the transitions and slideshow, put it up on the web; then I'll refactor.

Last edited:

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Black Friday sales on Udemy.com alot of programming courses on there for $11 ( was $10 yesterday ), The prices go up everyday.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
You know whats crazy, this is real passion and even I can't wrap my head around it. Notch ( Minecraft creator ), is about to be a billionaire or very very close to it, he's already worth over $100 Million, Yet he's always on Twitter talking about little game programming projects he's working on or asking programming questions.:mindblown::mindblown:

Edit: On a side note, sometimes I really really hate working in a team. We spend a ton of time arguing over stuff. Its like these fukkers forgot the simplest concept, A Method should only do one thing!!! Some of them will try to have a function do several things and then suffer through debug hell..

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Totally agree...With the mock up I posted, I am going to use codemirror for the code slides and actually code the little graphics ike the "css is awesome"(think of it little codepens). I designed that in illustrator on Tuesday and yesterday converted it all to markup. I could have "wasted time" and started coding the rsponsive code mirror/graphic blocks; but instead i just saved them out as SVGs and am getting the "look/feel" stuff done. After I do the transitions and slideshow, put it up on the web; then Ill refactor.

What are some of the programs you use on the visual side of the equation? I know they stopped 'selling' Photoshop, and you can only use the latest version through some sort of subscription service. I'll probably end up purchasing Paint Shop Pro, which has always been my 'go to' graphics program, especially since I could never afford Photoshop.

I'll have to post up some of the various things I've done... when it's said and done though, I think I'm more of a 'programmer' than a designer, because my color matching and all of that other stuff is off lol. I much prefer to be coding functionality and doing off the wall stuff than anything else. I'll have to get back into my CSS studies somewhat soon, but I've been way more concerned with learning Javascript, Java and C#.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
You know whats crazy, this is real passion and even I can't wrap my head around it. Notch ( Minecraft creator ), is about to be a billionaire or very very close to it, he's already worth over $100 Million, Yet he's always on Twitter talking about little game programming projects he's working on or asking programming questions.:mindblown::mindblown:

Edit: On a side note, sometimes I really really hate working in a team. We spend a ton of time arguing over stuff. Its like these fukkers forgot the simplest concept, A Method should only do one thing!!! Some of them will try to have a function do several things and then suffer through debug hell..

That's why I don't blame him for leaving the company. You got guys like Bill Gates who might have been solid programmers, but they had more of a business knack and were 'tech visionaires' that ultimately decided to focus on that end. On the other hand, you have pure programmers who don't want to be bothered with leading teams, nor do they want to impose their vision on the future. Me personally, I probably fall in the latter category. I wouldn't want to be in a huge, corporate atmosphere, cracking the whip over the back of fellow staff members, making sure they are carrying their load. I'd much rather be coding some concept. I hate management type work.

Daps
http://lifehacker.com/these-are-the-highest-paying-programming-skills-to-have-1661389920

These Are the Highest Paying Programming Skills to Have on Your Resume
Patrick Allan
ProfileFollow

Patrick Allan

Filed to: programming
Today 4:00pm
mj1xkjjnwiufvn2xylxz.png

Programming in general is a valuable skill when it comes to searching for jobs, but employers will pay more for some of them. If you're wondering what you should learn to broaden your horizon, here's a list of the top 12 paying skills right now.

The digital news site Quartz scoured an exhaustive report from the Brookings Institution containing data on thousands of American job ads, and then filtered out all of the programming skills. The salary for each skill listed is an average based on those thousands of job listings. Here are the top five:

1. Ruby on Rails: $109,460
  2. Objective C: $108,225
  3. Python: $100,717
  4. JAVA: $94,908
  5. C++: $93,502
It's important to keep in mind that a high salary doesn't necessarily mean that the the position is high demand. Additionally, focusing on only one skill can hurt you down the line if a certain language falls dramatically in use or popularity. Pick a few of the most sought after skills to become familiar with and, most importantly, learn how to learn. If you know how to pick up any programming skill quickly, you'll be much better off. To read more and see the rest of the top 12, check out the link below.

The Top Programming Languages, Ranked by Job Demand, Popularity, More
If you're interested in learning to code, for fun or financial gain, this interactive chart… Read more

These programming skills will earn you the most money | Quartz

badvillain

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What are some of the programs you use on the visual side of the equation? I know they stopped 'selling' Photoshop, and you can only use the latest version through some sort of subscription service. I'll probably end up purchasing Paint Shop Pro, which has always been my 'go to' graphics program, especially since I could never afford Photoshop.

I'll have to post up some of the various things I've done... when it's said and done though, I think I'm more of a 'programmer' than a designer, because my color matching and all of that other stuff is off lol. I much prefer to be coding functionality and doing off the wall stuff than anything else. I'll have to get back into my CSS studies somewhat soon, but I've been way more concerned with learning Javascript, Java and C#.

We all have different passions. I've always been a UI/UX type of guy, so the more I wanted to control the way things looked or transitioned; the more I had to learn programming. It's funny how many different subsets of development there are.

And for the visual side, I have a Creative Cloud subscription (it's a must as a contractor) and run it in a VM (I've tried rdp, vnc, wine and VM's offered the best performance). I'm real interested in the "Streaming Photoshop" that will be released to the public in about 6 months. I also use beta.avocode.com, to avoid opening a VM to inspect PSDs handed to me by a designer.

I don't use Photoshop that often myself though. If I'm designing I do wires in Illustrator and then design on top of that. I do flat/near-flat stuff only, so it works and I like their artboards.

For colors you should check out this little app: http://croma.numixproject.org/#/

Last edited:

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
lol, you can tell how they feel about this dude by the picture they put up..

They might as well have posted this shyt...
images

President Obama’s plan to overhaul the nation’s immigration policies could not only save up to five million people from deportation, it will also affect the U.S. tech industry.

Obama will rely on an executive action for immigration reform, rather than working with Congress. In a Nov. 20 speech, he asserted that his actions are lawful. “To those members of Congress who question my authority to make our immigration system work better, or question the wisdom of me acting where Congress has failed, I have one answer: Pass a bill,” he told the nation.

Obama’s plan will expand the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program (DACA), which grants work permits and some legal protections to unauthorized immigrants who arrived in the United States as children. Under the new guidelines, unauthorized immigrants whose children are U.S. citizens, and who have lived in the country for at least five years, will also be protected. Those immigrants will need to pass criminal background checks and pay taxes.

“I will make it easier and faster for high-skilled immigrants, graduates and entrepreneurs to stay and contribute to our economy,” Obama added. On paper, his plan will streamline the ability of foreign entrepreneurs and STEM workers to obtain visas, although specifics went unannounced; spouses of certain visa holders, including at least a portion of those with an H-1B, will have the ability to obtain work permits.

Some tech pundits seemed unimpressed with that part of Obama’s plan. “If this is all there is, then the president has missed a real opportunity,” Russ Harrison, a senior legislative representative at the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, told Re/Code. “He could have taken steps to make it easier for skilled immigrants to become Americans through the green card system, protecting foreign workers and Americans in the process.”

http://news.dice.com/2014/11/21/obama-immigration-overhaul-affect-tech/

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I genuinely love programming. I am now looking at this book:
amazon.com/C-Programming-Language-4th-ebook/dp/B00DUW4BMS/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1416602210&sr=1-1&keywords=c%2B%2B

Looking at different languages really helps you get a broader understanding of programming in general. Looking at Java, C++ and C# really help me understand some aspects of Javascript. I was hitting a roadblock with Javascript because it was getting hard to understand all of these class-based OO patterns books were emulating. It makes it a lot easier that all of the languages I'm looking at have C-styled syntax. Going into C++ is very helpful since most of the game-programming books of any merit are written in it. I want to get my skills up to where I can make serious programs as opposed to trivial 'roll your mouse over an image and watch it switch' sort of nonsense. Learning about main program loops and how everything integrates into that is of high significance to me. Having a strong, 'algorithm-based' foundation is important as well.