Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Does anyone know of a book that talks about software design in general? I've been reading all these books on syntax, and now I'm reading a general book about object oriented principles, but I need a decent one that talks about how to structure software, the program loop, state, etc.

I know I just mention this, but Look up Design Patterns( Its actually on my mind because my job is sending me to a design patterns class next week ).

I only read the first 2 chapters, but this book looks decent

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
@lotuseater80 , o Yeah Please don't take my previous post as a " Don't even think about it, Don't try it". I'm a firm believer in inventions happen when people are told they can't do something ,they don't listen and go forward with their dream anyway. I myself hope to create an innovative first person shooter one day and start a game studio from it ( I have few failed prototypes, but must keep pushing lol). I think an African RPG done right would be a hit and totally different from whats out there now. I thought about doing it myself, but i'm not really into role playing games.

With that said, I forgot to add this site. Most of the videos are using an older version of Unity 3D, but most of the coding( Using C# ) is still the same.

http://www.burgzergarcade.com/hack-slash-rpg-unity3d-game-engine-tutorial

Another word of advance, Python will not cut it for any type of serious game. It's just way toooooo slow. You have 3 options

1.) C++ ( Look into the Unreal Engine )
2.) C# ( Unity 3D )
3.) Java :scust:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Anyone here familiar with tumblr and HTML?

The theme that I'm using got all messed up after they updated their site, so the photosets that I drop are muggy and low resolution now. I've been fiddling around with the code for like a week now and I can't seem to figure out how to fix this shyt at all. Just trying to see if anybody on here knows a workaround before I go and cop a premium theme to display my photos how I would like to.

:snoop:

Sounds like it may be an image scaling problem where images are being forced down to some specific resolution. Look at the css class that the images are being affected by and look for height and width properties... if you can find the particular css for that class, post it here.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I know I just mention this, but Look up Design Patterns( Its actually on my mind because my job is sending me to a design patterns class next week ).

Thanks for the link. Head First makes a lot of quality titles. Interestingly enough, that's the area I've been at in my programming studies... I'm actually reading a book on design patterns, but specifically with Javascript. Since JS has no classes and it structured different, the implementations are a lot different. I can't wait to get my Java/C# skills up and see how design patterns are implemented in them so I can fully compare and contrast.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Static is for when you want data shared among all instances of a particular class Or you want to do one thing, but you don't want to create an instance just to get the results. You are using statics all the time and don't even know it :blessed:

A perfect example is the Math Class in Java( https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/lang/Math.html ). As you can see they are all static functions, the reasoning behind this is, With all of those functions organized together, what if I only wanted to use "one" of those functions and never use the Math class again? It's a big waste to create a instance of the math class and then use the function.

Non Static, you would have to create an instance

Math :mjcry: = new Math();

:mjcry:.Function ( input );

Static Example:
Math.Function ( input ) // Done:blessed:

Good Tutorial

I would also recommend looking up the Design pattern - Singleton . Best way to think about a singleton is a Game Manager in a video game. I want a object to manage all of the resources in the scene and I want to make absolutely sure that only one object can do this or all hell would break loose if you had 2 objects doing the same thing.

Thanks for the post. I need to spend more time on C#/Java because I'm used to JS where you don't have to fit everything inside of a class, so getting used to the more structured approach in C# and Java is a bit different. So basically a static allows you to use a function from a class without creating an instance.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

Thinking about getting this book and beginning a study on algorithms. What I like about it is that it has sample code in Java as opposed to pseudocode

ryda518

Randy Orton=Legend Killer
Daps
Reppin
bx all day
I'm going to sign up for Treehouse and see how it goes. I'm still going to be studying from books and online examples but brehs.......

I can not watch another damn video on youtube of with an indian dude as the narrator, where I have to rewind just to understand what he is saying. Hell even the white people teaching this on youtube are some cringe worthy nerdy mothfukkas, and right now I need some professionals teaching me.

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston

Ha, my course requires this book. Got a quiz on the Factory pattern on Tuesday :sadcam:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I'm going to sign up for Treehouse and see how it goes. I'm still going to be studying from books and online examples but brehs.......

I can not watch another damn video on youtube of with an indian dude as the narrator, where I have to rewind just to understand what he is saying. Hell even the white people teaching this on youtube are some cringe worthy nerdy mothfukkas, and right now I need some professionals teaching me.

Are you still working on javascript?
If so, check out
https://frontendmasters.com/

lynda.com also has some excellent series, especially Ray Villalobos, although that is a subscription only site.

Also, I really enjoy javascript as it's the first programming language that I really learned seriously, but I feel like you will need to pick up some Java or C#. I'm messing around with both C# and Java right now, and it's very helpful due to the fact that these languages force you to code in a structured way, which translates over to Javascript. You also won't have any idea what a lot of these Javascript books are talking about until you pick up a classic OO language like one of the aforementioned... things like 'getters' and 'setters' make little sense in Javascript until you learn a language like Java.

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
2lj0riv.gif

Nameischosen

Banned
Daps
Whats going on fellas, I been lurking in the background for a while but I'm actually happy to see discussion of such being brought to the forefront.

For those who are interested in programming in Java. I have a excellent website that is from a University in Finland. They offer free Java programming 101/102 that coincide with any major public/private school in the states. Its free and there is also live support that is at your disposal. There is no deadline, and everything is at your own pace. I am willing to help where I can if you have any questions(which you will) regarding any exercises. There is also a IRC channel and google group where you can ask questions. Please be advise these are real TAs who speak Finnish && || English and there is a time zone difference.

To start:
http://mooc.cs.helsinki.fi/programming-part1

WEEK 1
  • input
  • printing on screen
  • conditional statements
WEEK 2
  • loops
  • basics of methods
WEEK 3
  • methods
  • ArrayList data structure
WEEK 4
  • basics of objects
WEEK 5
  • more on objects
WEEK 6
  • tables
  • sorting
  • searching

Last edited:

badvillain

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
27 pages deep, damnnn.

- Employed as Senior Fullstack/Generalist Webapp developer
- Interests/Hobbies: Low-level programming, C++, QT/QML, Cross-platform/cross-device Apps, OS Design(*nix systems), X Server/displays

*Pulls up seat*

Sane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London Town
27 pages deep, damnnn.

- Employed as Senior Fullstack/Generalist Webapp developer
- Interests/Hobbies: Low-level programming, C++, QT/QML, Cross-platform/cross-device Apps, OS Design(*nix systems), X Server/displays

*Pulls up seat*
:ehh:

CELL

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My Web Developer brehs :blessed:

You up on Grunt? Any articles/books you can recommend for a breh.