Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Brehettes out number them on my team :mjpls:
I joke and all but I work with decent people. We have a pretty large number of women relative to other teams I think. The team is of course really white. Followed by Indian (typically contractors) then a few Hispanic and Asian, and then a handful of black people. The subgroup of the org I actually belong to is the same, just swap Asian and Indian, and I'm one of like 3 black people.

horizon

Veteran
Daps
I joke and all but I work with decent people. We have a pretty large number of women relative to other teams I think. The team is of course really white. Followed by Indian (typically contractors) then a few Hispanic and Asian, and then a handful of black people. The subgroup of the org I actually belong to is the same, just swap Asian and Indian, and I'm one of like 3 black people.
Yeah I just wanted to see what the team makeup was like for others because my team of 2 white dudes, 2 Indians (1 woman), 1 Vietnamese woman, 3 black women, and myself caught me way off guard.

Dion Isus

Pro
Daps
Monika Crooks shares her journey into a Cloud Career by learning Salesforce, attaining multiple certifications, attending Dreamforce, studying Trailhead, and more.

Monika shares how she landed a job in the Salesforce ecosystem making a six-figure salary! This is a journey that took her less than a year and a half and led to an increase of over $50k more per year.

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No I use IntelliJ everyday but I can't seem to get this to run. A little help?

What exactly is the problem?

C#, HTML/CSS, few Javascript frameworks. Self-taught/Bootcamp recent grad. still tryna get in the game.

Sounds like you're a frontend developer. Not much success getting a job? Have you a portfolio?

wastedmermaid

Superstar
Daps
Thinking about working my personal github:jbhmm:

What sort of personal projects would y’all recommend that are interesting/look good to potential employers?

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
I bought a beginner's book for C Programming and I'm really enjoying it. Code Blocks may be an ugly IDE. I love how light it is. I'm on Chapter 4

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
What are you learning C for?
if you have more than 6-7 months to prepare before you'll start actively looking for jobs one thing I may recommend you is to start with the C programming language. C is a small language, it doesn't have many things, most C books are shorter than any introduction to higher level languages. Learning C teaches you a lot about computing. An awful lot.

To put it differently. I'm confident that if I spent 2 months learning C (at least 4 hours a day) and solving easy and intermediate leetcode or similar problems and then spent 4 months learning another higher language I'd be a much better programmer than if I just started in this other higher language.

There's much too much focus on too many technologies, there's too much noise in higher level languages. You'll be tempted way too soon to move from "how do I go from input to output" which is the very essence of programming to developing full programs.

I know that text input and output isn't sexy, but remember point 1? We want the best and possibly the shortest path to get ourselves onto being decent and proficient asap. C might be slower at first. But then you move unto another language and not only you'll find that in the end you're solving the same problems you were solving with C (because it's always the same fukkin problem as I told you) but you need to do so with an endless amount of different APIs and conflicting, similar methods.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps

Kind of misguided, I think. If you want to learn about computer science fundamentals then do that. But from working with the people I do, I've come to understand that you pick the best tool for the task and that you want to gather as much relevant information as you can about the problem. I could tell you to go learn Assembly for the same reason he says to go learn C, but it doesn't get you that much closer to the end goal. If you're set on C then more power to you but I wouldn't do it just because it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Freedman

Choppers For Karate Nggas
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
Why all the C hate ? I think it's good place to start if you want to learn the fundamentals of programming like loops , if/else statements, input/output , Arrays , lists, and learning memory allocation let's you know how most modern languages work behind the scenes. I'm probably biased though because I'm taking a computer architecture class this semester so I'm using a lot of C and Assembly lol. Actually just ordered some microcontrollers and sensors because I want to learn more about writing Embedded firmware and that's still done mostly in C