Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Honestly, I think I might get into the teaching/training side of the things. You remember the old gold rushes? The people that got rich were the ones selling the shovels. There are simply too many people trying to flood into the industry and wages are dropping. The fact that someone could have worked at mcdonalds and then 3 months later go through a bootcamp and be in the industry doesn't really sound that sustainable to me. The supply of candidates will greatly outsupply the demand eventually, and hence lowering wages.

Or I might have to get in on the business side of things.

There's already an explosion of 'software engineering education'. Lots of idiots coming out with poorly written books and shytty udemy courses. Though there are some real gems hidden among the ocean of garbage.

I actually had plans to make youtube tutorials but I lost my voice.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
There's already an explosion of 'software engineering education'. Lots of idiots coming out with poorly written books and shytty udemy courses. Though there are some real gems hidden among the ocean of garbage.

I actually had plans to make youtube tutorials but I lost my voice.

There's a ton out there, but as you mentioned, they can be pretty garbage and they don't usually make interesting projects. I think one of the big benefits as well is that it just increases your visibility. If you're that guy on youtube with 50,000 subscribers who watch your video, you have a leg up on a lot of people.

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Honestly, I think I might get into the teaching/training side of the things. You remember the old gold rushes? The people that got rich were the ones selling the shovels. There are simply too many people trying to flood into the industry and wages are dropping. The fact that someone could have worked at mcdonalds and then 3 months later go through a bootcamp and be in the industry doesn't really sound that sustainable to me. The supply of candidates will greatly outsupply the demand eventually, and hence lowering wages.

Or I might have to get in on the business side of things.

If you enjoy teaching/training, then go for it. I think the trick is to find something you enjoy that has a relationship to what you gained within a business setting, and you parlay that into another field entirely.

There's's so much emphasis on "ohh I can code or I got some knowledge of a computer, then I gotta be a dev" rather than finding opportunities where you are outright stronger than the other applicants.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
If you enjoy teaching/training, then go for it. I think the trick is to find something you enjoy that has a relationship to what you gained within a business setting, and you parlay that into another field entirely.

There's's so much emphasis on "ohh I can code or I got some knowledge of a computer, then I gotta be a dev" rather than finding opportunities where you are outright stronger than the other applicants.

Yea, I definitely enjoy teaching as well, and I'm looking for opportunities out of the rat race. I've been in the industry for about 3 years and I already see how turbulent it is and I'm listening when these older guys say it's harder to find a job as you get older. For example, you think you're doing well, you're making some fat salary, and the company just lays you off because they want to get the numbers right. Your next job, you MIGHT make what you were making, but then again you could be making less.

kickz

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
fukking interview processes these days are a joke..:picard:

Did 2 phone interviews, and now cats want me to come on site for a couple hours including 4 separate meetings:hhh:

2 of them technical:gucci:

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta

Did 2 phone interviews, and now cats want me to come on site for a couple hours including 4 separate meetings:hhh:

Good Luck, I think 2 technical interviews is kinda of overkill. Make sure that's the standard procedure for all the applicants, if you feel me:mjpls:

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I fear shyt like this. Why can't you give the person 1 interview and that's it? Why 2 phone interviews and 4 separate interviews? Personally I hate talking about myself. So I don't think I can do that.

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I fear shyt like this. Why can't you give the person 1 interview and that's it? Why 2 phone interviews and 4 separate interviews? Personally I hate talking about myself. So I don't think I can do that.

I think 4 onsites is telling, I get if you apply to the world bank, maybe Dow Jones. They usually structured.
  • Team
  • Manager
  • Then department head or
  • Board (almost never)
Outside of notable companies, no need. If the team likes how you work and you made it past HR, why make it excessive?

kickz

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Its a damn waste of time, one of the tech interviews I even gotta come with a solution ready for some design exercise..:dahell:

This just makes me want to raise the asking price, 30% raise plus Fridays I work from home or no deal:ufdup:

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I dropped my specialization for my masters, that puts me ahead a semester and I could finish this program in November. My goal now is to start my own contracting firm, pay myself as an admin and put other people on. If I could land a remote PM role and be an admin for my business on the side, I'm with it. The reason why I don't want to be the one consulting for my business is because defense contracts don't typically offer full telework. Maybe in three years time they will though. I don't know, I just need a plan because this commuting thing is for the birds. Debt free aside the mortgage, masters, pmp cert and a remote role with my own company sounds like a decent place to be in a few years.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis

I assume this must be a tech company? they are the only ones I hear doing this.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is why I ask for salary/benefit information up front. You're not about to waste my time for a salary I don't even want. Also, you have to develop a very nasty arrogance when interviewing. Like the pleasure is strictly all theirs and you're doing them all a favor bringing your skills and experience into their little mediocre organization.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio

man my current job had the following during its 8 week hiring process

Phone interview with HR.
Skype interview with HR.
First round of in person interviews with my now current manager and coworker on my team.
Another round of phone/skype interview with HR.
Had to do a case study regarding how I would handle a product roadmap.
Get 5 references to fill out their information online through a special portal.
Final in person interview with a product owner of a software they used that I now am a product owner of.
HR lady calls me a couple of days after and lets me know they liked me and want to bring me on.
Sent me a conditional offer letter to my email on the basis my background checks panned out.
A week after the official offer letter was sent electronically.

kickz

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Wasted my damn time, they said I aced the tech interview but didn't have the temperament or something for their culture :dame:

They probably didn't like that at the end when they said they would like to bring me in one more time I said how about a phone call :pachaha:

I was not about to do another 3 hour day, if your process is this long then you aren't worth my damn time:mjpls:

I assume this must be a tech company? they are the only ones I hear doing this.

Yep.

wastedmermaid

Superstar
Daps
Been mostly using Java during my internship (a lot of spring boot stuff). That’s good M-F, but on the weekends when I have some more free time would it be better to delve deeper into java based programming and maybe learn scala for example or try and learn another language?