Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm checking out other people's portfolios that they post on reddit. And quite frankly, I'm a bit confused.

This guy for example: Petar Stevovski | Portfolio

He has really simple projects on his site: A flappy bird clone, a weather app, etc. Are these things impressive enough to a potential employer? I'm thinking these projects are way too simple and unimpressive. Like, I can literally code a flappy bird clone over the weekend myself.

Are people really getting hired showing off simple shyt like that?

Here I am stressing myself out trying to make a full-fledged website with a spring boot backend. Perhaps I'm on the wrong path over-analyzing, overthinking shyt?

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
I'm checking out other people's portfolios that they post on reddit. And quite frankly, I'm a bit confused.

He has really simple projects on his site: A flappy bird clone, a weather app, etc. Are these things impressive enough to a potential employer? I'm thinking these projects are way too simple and unimpressive. Like, I can literally code a flappy bird clone over the weekend myself.

Here I am stressing myself out trying to make a full-fledged website with a spring boot backend. Perhaps I'm on the wrong path over-analyzing, overthinking shyt?

It's very possible that you're over-analyzing and overthinking. Today's potential employers want to see the most simple and elegant solutions, not something that's over-engineered.

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm learning Kotlin right now too, really interested in the Arrow-kt library.

I want an alternative to Haskell (spectacular language, but makes some easy things like debugging difficult and the library system + ecosystem are weak) and don't like Scala that much. Kotlin looks a lot less verbose than Scala.

That language is growing real quick.

Check out my shytty binary search tree in kotlin:

Code:
data class Node<T: Comparable<T>>( var value:T, var left:Node<T>? = null, var right:Node<T>? = null ) {

fun addNode( value:T ) {

when( value.compareTo( this.value )) {
            -1 -> if( left == null ) left = Node( value ) else left?.addNode( value )
            0, 1 -> if( right == null ) right = Node( value ) else right?.addNode( value )
        }
    }

fun visit() {
        left?.visit()
        println( "${this.value}")
        right?.visit()
    }

fun search( data:T ) {

when {
            data == this.value -> println( "Found $data")
            data < this.value -> left?.search(data)
            data > this.value -> right?.search(data)
            else -> println( "Not Found!")
        }
    }
}

class Tree<T: Comparable<T>> {

var root:Node<T>? = null

fun from( list:Collection<T> ) {

list.forEach{ this.addValue( it ) }
    }

fun addValue( value:T ) {

//root?.addNode( value ) ?: Node( value )

if( root == null )
            root = Node( value )

else
            root?.addNode( value )
    }

fun search( data: T ) = root?.search(data)

fun traverse() {
        root?.visit() ?: throw NullPointerException( "What the hell?" )
    }
}

It's very possible that you're over-analyzing and overthinking. Today's potential employers want to see the most simple and elegant solutions, not something that's over-engineered.

Think I'm gonna code a flappy bird clone in JS just for the hell of it.

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles

Absolutely. I think people are holding companies up to a higher regard than they really are. I realized after I got my first job that I was overthinking things before getting hired. The codebases (from a major company btw) were actually a downgrade from my personal projects.

Chances are you're plenty good enough to work at most places.

No BS, the code in your projects if you're using a modern toolstack is probably more up-to-date than most companies'. This is because projects/products they're maintaining were built awhile ago, with what used to be a modern tech stack when it started. That's why so many complaints exist about horrible legacy codebases.

Now if they're trying to keep up to date, they must refactor everything. But because the foundation is on outdated tech, it doesn't quite transfer one-to-one, so not all the benefits of the modern tech are there.

If you've been learning new things the last 3-5 months, you're probably exponentially ahead of the enterprise curve.

Last edited:

DJSmooth

Superstar
Daps

Then do it and stop talking about it.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I'm going to have to lay down the law on these people at work. They keep adding shyt that needs to be done when our deadline is next week, and our original set of requirements aren't even complete. It's like they want this project to fail.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

To get into the industry, you definitely have the talent. You just have to pick either the front or backend and pick an in demand framework. Most of these recruiters don't know about general programming skill or don't really care. They search by keywords, so you will get much more hits if you can show a high competence in React, Angular or Vue on the front-end or Spring MVC, Node.js or asp.net core on the backend. I would say just pick one and put up a portfolio and apply nonstop. You will probably have to hit up 50 to 100 companies before one takes you on. I had to do something similar for my first and second jobs. It will probably be easier to get in on the front-end since these frameworks are newer and there isn't a massive supply of guys with 5 to 10 years of experience in said framework and you can actively display your work by uploading it somewhere.

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
To get into the industry, you definitely have the talent. You just have to pick either the front or backend and pick an in demand framework. Most of these recruiters don't know about general programming skill or don't really care. They search by keywords, so you will get much more hits if you can show a high competence in React, Angular or Vue on the front-end or Spring MVC, Node.js or asp.net core on the backend. I would say just pick one and put up a portfolio and apply nonstop. You will probably have to hit up 50 to 100 companies before one takes you on. I had to do something similar for my first and second jobs. It will probably be easier to get in on the front-end since these frameworks are newer and there isn't a massive supply of guys with 5 to 10 years of experience in said framework and you can actively display your work by uploading it somewhere.

Just spent all morning making this: pikadadon/KBulletin

Basic CRUD with Spring Boot backend and VueJS frontend.

How can I actually run this?

'Clone or Download' -> 'Download as Zip' -> Open the pom.xml w/ IntelliJ as a Maven project.