Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Anyone familiar with reactive programming? (i.e.: futures, promises, Rx extensions, etc.)

shyts hard to follow.
I've briefly done stuff with that concept. It deals with asynchronous operations. So let's say you make an API call to my.api/longOperation. You're expecting some data back but there's no telling how long it will take. So instead of returning some JSON object, you return a Promise that eventually some data will be returned. So when longOperation finally finishes 60 seconds later on the back end, it gives you that data you were promised.

wastedmermaid

Superstar
Daps
Learning spring boot from some Indian guy on youtube. Everything makes sense to me now. It's crazy how having a good teacher makes a world of difference. Most of the udemy courses and youtube tutorials are fukking awful.

Do you have the link for the YT spring boot video
:feedme:

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've briefly done stuff with that concept. It deals with asynchronous operations. So let's say you make an API call to my.api/longOperation. You're expecting some data back but there's no telling how long it will take. So instead of returning some JSON object, you return a Promise that eventually some data will be returned. So when longOperation finally finishes 60 seconds later on the back end, it gives you that data you were promised.

Brehette here gives a good presentation on it. Though, here she's using RxJava from Kotlin.

dterpsss

SOHH OG Class 2004
Daps
Reppin
Home of the terrapins
So I followed through and have the opportunity to interview if I'd like. I told the recruiter I'm not in any rush for several months. That'll give me time to prepare and actually work towards understanding the C.S. concepts that I never paid proper attention to. It all boils down to me raising my game if I want to secure a career defining move. I'll have to put together a gameplan and start to take action.

Leetcode should be your girlfriend for the next two months if you are serious, what’s your experience? What schools?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Leetcode should be your girlfriend for the next two months if you are serious, what’s your experience? What schools?
B.S in C.S., a year of back end development, been going some systems engineering the past few months. I don't need to make the switch, but I think I need to make the switch, if you understand what I mean. Maybe if I make myself believe this is a necessary move then I'll buckle down.

dterpsss

SOHH OG Class 2004
Daps
Reppin
Home of the terrapins
B.S in C.S., a year of back end development, been going some systems engineering the past few months. I don't need to make the switch, but I think I need to make the switch, if you understand what I mean. Maybe if I make myself believe this is a necessary move then I'll buckle down.
FAANG comes calling you gotta take it, you just need to make sure your whiteboard game is sharp

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
FAANG comes calling you gotta take it, you just need to make sure your whiteboard game is sharp
And that's the weakest part of my game :mjgrin:. I have time though. I'm going to make use of the resources I was provided, try to work some (loose) internal connections I have, and see where things shake out. At the least I can take solace in the fact that they've reached out to me. Not everyone gets to say that. At least not my current peers.

dterpsss

SOHH OG Class 2004
Daps
Reppin
Home of the terrapins
And that's the weakest part of my game :mjgrin:. I have time though. I'm going to make use of the resources I was provided, try to work some (loose) internal connections I have, and see where things shake out. At the least I can take solace in the fact that they've reached out to me. Not everyone gets to say that. At least not my current peers.

yea you should definitely over prepare, if FAANG fails holla at me, I’m just outside FAANG tier and Referrals are my side hustle :lolbron:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
yea you should definitely over prepare, if FAANG fails holla at me, I’m just outside FAANG tier and Referrals are my side hustle :lolbron:
I take being FAANG material for granted because I've gotten emails from some of their head hunters before. In my mind, you sought me out, I'm clearly the real deal, just give me my damn money :yeshrug:. The real world don't work that way though :mjcry:.