Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Not gonna front. I got burned out by this full-stack developer BootCamp class. :mjcry:
Honestly, the last third of the class sometimes had me wondering if I'm as smart as I thought that was :sadcam:
shyt's a lot to take in in just a little over 5 months.:why:
We're presenting our final projects this afternoon. After that im gonna take a break and then get back to it in the new year. My brain is hurting from some of the backend stuff

Last edited:

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Not gonna front. I got burned out by this full-stack developer BootCamp class. :mjcry:
Honestly, the last third of the class sometimes had me wondering if I'm as smart as I thought that was :sadcam:
shyt's a lot to take in in just a little over 5 months.:why:
We're presenting our final projects this afternoon. After that im gonna take a break and then get back to it in the new year. My brain is hurting from some of the backend stuff

I remember when I went to a bootcamp and I felt the same way.

Not only that, but our curriculum didn't really match the languages/frameworks that people were looking for in the area.

I had to take it on myself to go out and teach myself what I was missing, and a little over a year later got my job. I really could have applied sooner, but I went way overboard learning Go, Elixir and Haskell on top of what we were taught at the bootcamp which was mainly Javascript and PHP (although I didn't mess with learning PHP much).

Anyways, point is, a bootcamp is really condensed and very few people absorb it all (ours was 3 months). At least you could put it on your resume, but now is the time to really learn for yourself, because that's what you're going to be paid to do anyways.

Best bet would be to build that portfolio and start looking for something - while attending meetups if you can.

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
I remember when I went to a bootcamp and I felt the same way.

Not only that, but our curriculum didn't really match the languages/frameworks that people were looking for in the area.

I had to take it on myself to go out and teach myself what I was missing, and a little over a year later got my job. I really could have applied sooner, but I went way overboard learning Go, Elixir and Haskell on top of what we were taught at the bootcamp which was mainly Javascript and PHP (although I didn't mess with learning PHP much).

Anyways, point is, a bootcamp is really condensed and very few people absorb it all (ours was 3 months). At least you could put it on your resume, but now is the time to really learn for yourself, because that's what you're going to be paid to do anyways.

Best bet would be to build that portfolio and start looking for something - while attending meetups if you can.

Thanks. And i know i'll need to review for myself too. Below is what we covered. Just posting the downloaded class contents. THe numbers represent which week we went in dept with the topic

01-html-git-css
02-css-bootstrap
03-javascript
04-jquery
05-timers
06-ajax
07-firebase
08-project-week
09-project-week

10-nodejs
11-js-constructors
12-mysql
13-express
14-handlebars
15-sequelize
16-testing
17-project-week
18-project-week

19-aws
20-npm
21-appsec
22-d3

00-mongo
00-react

I wanna say i started getting burned out right around handlebars and sequelize. I took a week off the week we did handlebars and was never able to catchup with those concepts (handlebars and sequelize) moving forward.

AWS, NPM and appSecurity werent that hard and i understood them but again, by then i was so burned out i was putting very little effort in as i just wanted it to be over. We also didnt have time to cover the ones in red (React and mondoDB)

Last edited:

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Fellas,

Not necessarily programming but does anyone have any links for a crash course in SQL? I have an interview coming up and I need to do as much prep as possible.

Lord willing, If I could nail this job then we talking over 60% increase in pay.

Side note: There have been some dudes eating in this IT field since the early 2010’s :wow:
SQL is fairly easy to understand but i'm not sure where i could get you a crash course. Might have a few PDFs that elaborate on stuff but i'd say check youtube too.

Daps
Freelance did not help him at all + the fact that he's in CA. Everybody and they moms can make a website. And boot camps keep on rolling out these folks. But I definitely agree with the center message of the video of getting a backup. It's kind of backs up the retention rate in this field.
Is it still worth it to get into programming at this point?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Thanks. And i know i'll need to review for myself too. Below is what we covered. Just posting the downloaded class contents. THe numbers represent which week we went in dept with the topic

01-html-git-css
02-css-bootstrap
03-javascript
04-jquery
05-timers
06-ajax
07-firebase
08-project-week
09-project-week

10-nodejs
11-js-constructors
12-mysql
13-express
14-handlebars
15-sequelize
16-testing
17-project-week
18-project-week

19-aws
20-npm
21-appsec
22-d3

00-mongo
00-react

I wanna say i started getting burned out right around handlebars and sequelize. I took a week off the week we did handlebars and was never able to catchup with those concepts (handlebars and sequelize) moving forward.

AWS, NPM and appSecurity werent that hard and i understood them but again, by then i was so burned out i was putting very little effort in as i just wanted it to be over. We also didnt have time to cover the ones in red (React and mondoDB)
:picard: basically only web technologies. I'm not saying that's bad but unless you make it an effort to branch out, you're going to have a lot of competition.

Double J

Banned
Daps
The MVC design pattern is great. Especially with Java. You can create an app in Android and use the same exact logic model code to make a desktop version in JavaFX and vice versa. You only have to worry about the controller and the view.

I just made a desktop program in JavaFX and then literally just copied and pasted my model code from that into the Android version and it works seamlessly :wow: :ahh:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
giphy.gif

Got some InMail from a FANG company about possible opportunities. I might have to really follow through this time.

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
God I love Kotlin:

Code:
data class Person(var firstName:String, var lastName:String, var age:Int)

fun main(args: Array<String>) = runBlocking {

val job = GlobalScope.launch {

val people:List<Person> = listOf(
            Person( "Charles", "dikkens", 60 ),
            Person( "Lewis", "Carroll", 42 ),
            Person( "Thomas", "Carlyle", 51 ),
            Person( "Charlotte", "Bronte", 45 ),
            Person( "Matthew", "Arnold", 39 )
        )

people.stream()
         .filter { it.age > 50 }
         .forEach { println( "${it.firstName}")
    }

job.join()
}

Last edited:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
giphy.gif

Got some InMail from a FANG company about possible opportunities. I might have to really follow through this time.
So I followed through and have the opportunity to interview if I'd like. I told the recruiter I'm not in any rush for several months. That'll give me time to prepare and actually work towards understanding the C.S. concepts that I never paid proper attention to. It all boils down to me raising my game if I want to secure a career defining move. I'll have to put together a gameplan and start to take action.

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Anyone familiar with reactive programming? (i.e.: futures, promises, Rx extensions, etc.)

shyts hard to follow.

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA
anybody try phaser 3? :ohhh:
I need some good resources to learn it I'm trying work on some simple games that can bring in some passive income