Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA
Honestly it looks like I may need some help with my site on the frontend. I've been tinkering with the CSS for <b>hours</b> and still can't get the result I want. I'm not built for this frontend shyt as it's too tedious and mind numbing for me.

I did c++ as a teenager. It was my first language. Didn't do anything professionally with it though.

Yeah it's really depressing.
What are you working on?
I suck still but I would like to work on a project with someone else. I'm focusing on frontend

Takerstani

Extraterrestrial
Supporter
Daps
Honestly it looks like I may need some help with my site on the frontend. I've been tinkering with the CSS for <b>hours</b> and still can't get the result I want. I'm not built for this frontend shyt as it's too tedious and mind numbing for me.
Despite knowing how to draw, my mind doesn't work like that either. I either use templates or take pieces of CSS (from w3, example sites) I want for specific parts of the site, adjust it how I want, and put it together like that. I prefer backend programming.

krazykid18

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yoooo does anybody know where to get hacked or full copies of Power BI and Cognos Analytics or is that even possible in this era like it was back in the golden age of 00 to 07

MrPentatonic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Anybody having css trouble you really gotta learn the css fundamentals, css box model, margin padding border, in-line vs block element etc elsewise it’s always gonna be a struggle! Once you learn them it all becomes less guesswork.

A lot of sites don’t put enough emphasis on learning the fundamentals that’s why a lot of people struggle with it imo

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Microsoft is getting away from IE and is working on releasing their own Chromium based browser. If any of you have worked professionally on the front-end, you know all about the nightmare that was IE. Edge was better in many regards, but I'm looking forward to not having to completely neuter your site or worry about why everything is working great in every browser EXCEPT IE.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
In regards to the front-end, it is only getting more and more time consuming and complicated as time goes on. The front end is no longer designers who have a touch of programming ability. It's more along the lines of building an app, but you have to make the html morph and look great in all kinds of different devices with responsive design. The upside to this vastly increased complexity is the increase in front-end salaries.

krazykid18

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
nikkas still using Cognos? Lol

What do they use now Watson Analytics ...plenty of companies using IBM Cognos or IBM SPSS modeler i'm confused by the question plenty of these jobs pay 150k and aren't as stressful shyt Hyperion developers make 250k

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
:snoop: I've had the most exhausting 3 round interview. First 2 rounds went okay, third round wasn't technical and dude looked like he wasn't in a good mood.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
What do they use now Watson Analytics ...plenty of companies using IBM Cognos or IBM SPSS modeler i'm confused by the question plenty of these jobs pay 150k and aren't as stressful shyt Hyperion developers make 250k

Damn near every company I've worked for has moved away from the Cognos platform (UPS, The Home Depot, Emory, Deloitte, Comcast, Coca-Cola, Delta, etc). I got homies and family in the BI space as well and they've stated the same. Matter fact, a good amount of job offers I get is about migrating solutions out of Cognos to other techs. What I'm saying is Cognos is a dated technology in the BI/Analytics world.

EDIT: Also you have cats that can still pull 150k programming Cobol, C, and Fortran but those jobs are few and far between because companies have moved on to other languages for most general development.

Tableau, Qlik, SAS, Power BI, SSRS etc. >>> Cognos today

Hyperion is a very niche technology.

Last edited:

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Fellas,

Not necessarily programming but does anyone have any links for a crash course in SQL? I have an interview coming up and I need to do as much prep as possible.

Lord willing, If I could nail this job then we talking over 60% increase in pay.

Side note: There have been some dudes eating in this IT field since the early 2010’s :wow:

krazykid18

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Damn near every company I've worked for has moved away from the Cognos platform (UPS, The Home Depot, Emory, Deloitte, Comcast, Coca-Cola, Delta, etc). I got homies and family in the BI space as well and they've stated the same. Matter fact, a good amount of job offers I get is about migrating solutions out of Cognos to other techs. What I'm saying is Cognos is a dated technology in the BI/Analytics world.

EDIT: Also you have cats that can still pull 150k programming Cobol, C, and Fortran but those jobs are few and far between because companies have moved on to other languages for most general development.

Tableau, Qlik, SAS, Power BI, SSRS etc. >>> Cognos today

Hyperion is a very niche technology.

Ok cool, so do you have access to the software that i need can you PM me and we can discuss more offline no need to derail this thread

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Y'all got any notable locations to apply to, :hhh: These companies down south i'm applying to playing too many games.

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
:snoop: I've had the most exhausting 3 round interview. First 2 rounds went okay, third round wasn't technical and dude looked like he wasn't in a good mood.

All a part of the filtering process right?

Corporate white privilege is a trip brehs....

But for real, the bolded is what I really have a problem with.

But I wouldn't want to work for a company with people like that anyway. If you can't put their personal issues aside when giving an impartial technical assessment (technical can mean anything), chances are I'm going to hate working for you whenever you start feeling the pressure. That same dude probably lashes out at his team when it's crunch time.

Keep applying breh. Remember, it's not just the job or work you're doing, but the pond you're working in. If the people around you are crappy, you're not going to grow at the rate you could.

Like I said in the thread I linked to, there's so much bs that goes on in the interviewing process.

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Fellas,

Not necessarily programming but does anyone have any links for a crash course in SQL? I have an interview coming up and I need to do as much prep as possible.

Lord willing, If I could nail this job then we talking over 60% increase in pay.

Side note: There have been some dudes eating in this IT field since the early 2010’s :wow: