Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
Getting back on track with my Python course, dropped the ball on it since February due to other things but I'll be finishing up the course within the next month. Then playing around with the language for a few months creating different little projects for practice.

• Dap
Reactions: .r.

dontreadthis

philly.
Daps
these job requirements are crazy as hell. been studying Object Oriented Programming (C# mainly) and learning to create things on my own for the last 4 years or so and just recently got into .NET/Web development the past year. want to find something entry level and all these listings I see are asking for 2-3 years developing or more if you didn't major in CS like me (Business Major). Then they have the nerve to list all types of clearances, TS, SCI, AND want a polygraph for a junior level position. it's hell even getting to sit down with a company :francis:.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
these job requirements are crazy as hell. been studying Object Oriented Programming (C# mainly) and learning to create things on my own for the last 4 years or so and just recently got into .NET/Web development the past year. want to find something entry level and all these listings I see are asking for 2-3 years developing or more if you didn't major in CS like me (Business Major). Then they have the nerve to list all types of clearances, TS, SCI, AND want a polygraph for a junior level position. it's hell even getting to sit down with a company :francis:.
Sounds like you're trying to get in with a defense contractor. They'll always have high standards. The rest is on point though, 3+ years experience in 5 different areas for a college grad or entry level position. I just want one company to stop playing games and list what they want for real, because you damn sure aren't looking for an entry level person with mid level experience.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

Bootcamps have flooded the bottom end of the market, so it's a lot harder to get in. Since there are so many new candidates, companies don't really want to spend time training them.

That's what really sucks about the programming market right now. They want several years of experience, but put it down as an 'entry level' position. How can it be entry level? It will take months of nonstop applying to get a new job. It took me 2 months of applying and I already had a year of experience in a new technology (Angular 2). If you're really serious about wanting a job in programming, these days you'll have to work for it. Keep applying nonstop and the biggest thing to do is to put up projects that people can look at. If you can't put up a website, create a game or whatever you are using your language for, create a youtube channel, then a blog and put up footage of your game. Also, point to the github. People really want to see what you've done. That's going to distinguish you from some guy coming out of coding camp.

KingTut

Green diamonds like a dill pickle
Daps
Reppin
TX
I just started the basics of Python and I have a quick question. Is there a good program out there for creating python apps with windows gui?

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
Getting back on track with my Python course, dropped the ball on it since February due to other things but I'll be finishing up the course within the next month.

fukk that, I finished the course today. No time for bullshytting anymore.

I think I'll focus on Python for the next 3-4 months or so, practicing 8-14 hours per week. Not sure if that is enough time for me to feel fully comfortable with it (it is my first programming language), but if it isn't, maybe I'll throw another month or two on top of that. Then I'm thinking I'll take a Java course and really focus on the language for about 6 months. I'm trying to learn things with an eye toward developing skills suitable for mobile app development. I don't expect to be a full stack developer or a master coder necessarily, and I'm not seeking programming jobs (I'm learning to code primarily for entrepreneurial ventures), I just want to be competent and able to build at least a functioning version of something that can be seriously put out.

MrPentatonic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just started free code camp, is it even worth completing all of that?

Yep, infact freecodecamp most probably isn't enough. Do that, Some udemy courses and then when you are comfortable, research into branching out to specializing in a framework if you want to get a job. Just keep doing stuff, best way to build your skills.

One guy made a list of courses people should do alongside freecodecamp, I'll up the link later on.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Bootcamps have flooded the bottom end of the market, so it's a lot harder to get in. Since there are so many new candidates, companies don't really want to spend time training them.

That's what really sucks about the programming market right now. They want several years of experience, but put it down as an 'entry level' position. How can it be entry level? It will take months of nonstop applying to get a new job. It took me 2 months of applying and I already had a year of experience in a new technology (Angular 2). If you're really serious about wanting a job in programming, these days you'll have to work for it. Keep applying nonstop and the biggest thing to do is to put up projects that people can look at. If you can't put up a website, create a game or whatever you are using your language for, create a youtube channel, then a blog and put up footage of your game. Also, point to the github. People really want to see what you've done. That's going to distinguish you from some guy coming out of coding camp.
I'm trying to start posting things on my youtube page.