Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Yesterday, I received the instructions for the classes final* project. Topic-wise, it's pretty open ended. Pick a product or a business\industry (can be made up) and make a site (min. 7 pages). And a bunch of requirements from stuff I've learned over the last 4 weeks.

I'm making a website for a fictional custom PC company. I've already thought of a few features that I can put in to hit some of the project requirements.

*Passing this project means I go on to a proper bootcamp.
I presented my project on Friday. No grade: just pass or fail... AND I PASSED! I've been trying to study before the bootcamp starts. I've been working on javascript problems off of https://edabit.com/ . Even the easy ones are giving me trouble.

:sadcam:

Edit: There one breh in our class who didn't pass. 1 out of almost 20. I felt bad for him.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Somebody explain how in the hell my skills and qualifications don't fit for an entry level position in where I tailored my resume and touched on each and every requirement they listed :gucci:. This shyt has me wanting to just start knocking people out. I mean there is literally no reason for this constant rejection.

semtex

:)
Daps
Somebody explain how in the hell my skills and qualifications don't fit for an entry level position in where I tailored my resume and touched on each and every requirement they listed :gucci:. This shyt has me wanting to just start knocking people out. I mean there is literally no reason for this constant rejection.
How long you been looking?

WheatThins

All Star
Daps
3 years ago i was unemployed and laid off my job. i had a few coding skills, but not that much, barely javascript. last job i had paid around 48K

in the past 2 years i got my masters in a computer science-y program and on tutorial videos + freelancing projects like shyt. learned javascript, php, python, java, and some c

today i landed my first official job as a developer since i graduated in may, a lil under 6 figs + benefits with a great company

coding is the best thing thats ever happened to me brehs :blessed:

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
3 years ago i was unemployed and laid off my job. i had a few coding skills, but not that much, barely javascript. last job i had paid around 48K

in the past 2 years i got my masters in a computer science-y program and on tutorial videos + freelancing projects like shyt. learned javascript, php, python, java, and some c

today i landed my first official job as a developer since i graduated in may, a lil under 6 figs + benefits with a great company

coding is the best thing thats ever happened to me brehs :blessed:
Congrats breh,:myman:
Did the master degree open more doors for you?

WheatThins

All Star
Daps
Congrats brehette,:myman:
Did the master degree open more doors for you?
fixed :mjpls:

but definitely, my program had a bit of a design focus too which the company said they liked a lot. i actually have a masters in fine art, not even a ms lol

im so happy. this is more money than anyone in my family has ever made :mjlol: :mjcry:

Daps
Reppin
NULL

but definitely, my program had a bit of a design focus too which the company said they liked a lot. i actually have a masters in fine art, not even a ms lol

im so happy. this is more money than anyone in my family has ever made :mjlol: :mjcry:
Congrats!!!

What city you in?? Tryna scope the scene a lil. I'm a dev, but I am SUFFOCATING in my role. It's all my fault, tho. I should've known better than to develop for an insurance conglomerate. :mjcry:

selam

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL

:krs:
I'm soproud of you

WheatThins

All Star
Daps
Congrats!!!

What city you in?? Tryna scope the scene a lil. I'm a dev, but I am SUFFOCATING in my role. It's all my fault, tho. I should've known better than to develop for an insurance conglomerate. :mjcry:
im on the east coast, dc. i try to only apply to jobs that make things i have fun using lol

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Got off the phone with an HR person. She said my resume stood out because it wasn't just Java focused (Java role). She made it out to be like I have a shot but she might have been getting ahead of herself. We'll know for sure when my info gets to a technical person.

I have an online screen for a telecommunications giant that I need to knock out before the weekend is over. I know it's bad but I haven't been doing any interview prep in well over a month now. I'm just setting myself up for failure :francis: That shyt is just so tedious though, the not fun side of writing code. I'm gonna have to want to change otherwise I'll be sat up here all day forever.