Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
Mad late to this thread but to those who are just starting out and looking to make it with no formal education -

- learn git
- maintain a place for the stuff you build. everything you build. Even when you're learning. Commit everything
- this is your portfolio
- you can look back at it too and judge your progress.
- go back and rewrite some stuff. Combine ideas.

it's easier for the front end guys to have stuff to show.

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
Created a mini Python program to automate calculations that I routinely do at work.

Was running into a bit of an issue with the calculated values. Turns out I used the wrong "round" function.

I needed a "roundup" function...which Python does not explicitly have (v 2.7 at least)

Need to use "ceil" function instead.

round(1.25) = 1, whereas math.ceil(1.25) = 2

You gotta be careful with this programming shyt. :merchant:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Mad late to this thread but to those who are just starting out and looking to make it with no formal education -

- learn git
- maintain a place for the stuff you build. everything you build. Even when you're learning. Commit everything
- this is your portfolio
- you can look back at it too and judge your progress.
- go back and rewrite some stuff. Combine ideas.

it's easier for the front end guys to have stuff to show.

I`m not a dev, but can I store School projects I did in SQL Server in Github?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I'm fairly certain you can. Either way your should make one, there's no downside to it.
I dont have classes this summer so I`m going to read up on it.

I assume it would be me just uploading my SQL code and it can be compiled or something? Like I can put the code and have comments in the code explaining why I did what? I still have the code for a bunch of my assignments so I`d probably just need to re read the projects to understand the context for why I did what I did.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Check
SQL/MySQL at master · dhaval1406/SQL · GitHub
In not familiar with SQL too much so I can't tell you too much. But you can pretty much host any type of programming project. All it is is version control.

Got it so I assume I can just upload the relevant files, and Git helps me manage them? Like I said it would be just me uploading projects. I`m taking a Tableau course next spring so I def want that stuff on there. This helps a lot.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Got it so I assume I can just upload the relevant files, and Git helps me manage them? Like I said it would be just me uploading projects. I`m taking a Tableau course next spring so I def want that stuff on there. This helps a lot.
Yeah. I suggest you watch some YouTube videos on using the command line tools and upload some of your stuff.

Basically you designate a folder as the root and that forms the project structure, bringing in all of the files and folders inside. You commit changes and then push them to GitHub. If you make a mistake you can pull a previous version of your project from GitHub OR if you want to test a new feature you can fork from the master branch to avoid messing up what you've done.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Yeah. I suggest you watch some YouTube videos on using the command line tools and upload some of your stuff.

Basically you designate a folder as the root and that forms the project structure, bringing in all of the files and folders inside. You commit changes and then push them to GitHub. If you make a mistake you can pull a previous version of your project from GitHub OR if you want to test a new feature you can fork from the master branch to avoid messing up what you've done.

I`m not taking classes this summer so I`ll try to research. Thanks

KritNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Costa Rica
I`m not taking classes this summer so I`ll try to research. Thanks
It takes about a week to get used to a simple git workflow and it is invaluable. It takes a few months to fully understand using git/github in a team environment but using version control will save you countless hours.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
It takes about a week to get used to a simple git workflow and it is invaluable. It takes a few months to fully understand using git/github in a team environment but using version control will save you countless hours.

I`m a BA not a dev, but I assume I could use Github as a repository for functional documentation/specs?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I really wish I had stuck with Ruby on Rails. Just had a recruiter hit me with this:

If you are a Ruby on Rails Developer with experience, please read on!

We are a company in the Healthcare Industry that created and integrated particular technology used by Doctor's into a smartphone application. As the creator of this mobile technology, we have been receiving from our thousands of active users a tremendous amount of data. We are advancing the practice of medicine for doctors and society and we are just getting started.

We are close to Caltrain and supply car and bike parking for employees. We strive to make your life outside work as smooth as possible while you're at work, and we offer a long list of benefits to make that happen.

APPLY IMMEDIATELY to be apart of the team that improves the practice of medicine!
What You Will Be Doing
As a Ruby on Rails Developer on the mobile application team , you will be an integral member of our engineering team, responsible for developing industry-leading applications transforming the healthcare industry and consumers use, engage, and act on their health data. You will be a key player in our big data play, partnering with our Data Science team to improve algorithm functionality.
What You Need for this Position
What we are looking for :

Must Haves:

- Ruby on Rails Stack
- PostgreSQL
- GO
- TDD/BDD w/ RSpec/Cucumber
- React.js

- Senior level software engineer ready to build highly visible apps - ideally in Ruby
- Open Source contributors are preferred
- Engineers who can raise the skill level of their teammates with a desire to give back - tech talks, lightning talks, etc..
- Wide knowledge of web apps - scalability, growth, mentorship
- Experience implementing Service Oriented Architecture or micro-services
- Good intuition for weighing trade-offs
- Product instincts, work with our product and design teams to understand customer pain points, come up with solutions, and then prototype, iterate and launch
frequently
What's In It for You
-$160,000 - $190,000
- competitive stock options
- Flexible and generous vacation policy
- Maternity / Paternity Leave
- TriNet medical coverage, employee 100% covered for medical, dental and vision
- Equipment allowance to build out your ideal workspace
- Mobile reimbursement
- Stocked kitchen + weekly catered lunches
- A supportive, collaborative group of people who understand that success depends on the team
So, if you are a Ruby on Rails Developer with experience, please apply today!

Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S.

Preferred Skills