Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Anyome with solid experience take a look at VMWare. They seem to pay very well and basically all of their openings are for people who have been in the industry for a while. Also it looks like Apple is trying to overhaul their Maps app because they're doing a lot of hiring in that team. It's a damn shame you need a Mac to develop for Mac though. A quiet way to ensure you're getting the right type of developer :cacjpls:.

• Dap
Reactions: .r.

KritNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Costa Rica
.....wtf. I think I dropped the ball in my life. I was a very good programmer but the job market back in my day was really fukked up. Everything was being outsourced to Indians. I feel like a fukking idiot. Should've stayed with it.

Edit: I don't understand how brehs who follow some 6-week 'bootcamp' training are able to land jobs. It can't be that easy....can it?

I wouldn't say it is that easy. I went to a bootcamp 15 months ago and have been very fortunate to get where I am now.

You really can't learn that much in 6 weeks. Even worse you might think you are a "full stack dev" but as time progresses you will realize just how much you don't know. I got my first dev job 1 year ago. It was a remote position paying $30,000, it was a huge paycut from my previous job. I got myself into some pretty serious debt during this time but I learned a ton and started gradually growing my skillset.

After 6 months I convinced the company to give me a raise to $50,000. This made my financial situation more manageable and I was starting to be tasked with harder projects. In those 6 months I learned a new language (Elixir) and was able to bill all my hours to clients. I began to get the feeling that I was not learning fast enough because I was working a remote job

I decided to make a move to a new town with a bigger tech scene two weeks ago so I could potentially find a job. I just accepted a job offer today at a software company where I will start at $73,000. I am going to be in a more formal setting and no longer working remote but I think it will help me grow as a developer. The pay bump has allowed me to get a nice apartment downtown.

Looking back on this it was a very stressful year and I really worked my ass off and I am just starting to make decent money. I would be take all the reports of people saying they are getting 80-100K offers fresh out of bootcamp with a grain of salt.

One of the most important things I did during this past year is attend Meetups and network. You will have a much higher chance of getting a job somewhere you happen to know someone at that company.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I wouldn't say it is that easy. I went to a bootcamp 15 months ago and have been very fortunate to get where I am now.

You really can't learn that much in 6 weeks. Even worse you might think you are a "full stack dev" but as time progresses you will realize just how much you don't know. I got my first dev job 1 year ago. It was a remote position paying $30,000, it was a huge paycut from my previous job. I got myself into some pretty serious debt during this time but I learned a ton and started gradually growing my skillset.

After 6 months I convinced the company to give me a raise to $50,000. This made my financial situation more manageable and I was starting to be tasked with harder projects. In those 6 months I learned a new language (Elixir) and was able to bill all my hours to clients. I began to get the feeling that I was not learning fast enough because I was working a remote job

I decided to make a move to a new town with a bigger tech scene two weeks ago so I could potentially find a job. I just accepted a job offer today at a software company where I will start at $73,000. I am going to be in a more formal setting and no longer working remote but I think it will help me grow as a developer. The pay bump has allowed me to get a nice apartment downtown.

Looking back on this it was a very stressful year and I really worked my ass off and I am just starting to make decent money. I would be take all the reports of people saying they are getting 80-100K offers fresh out of bootcamp with a grain of salt.

One of the most important things I did during this past year is attend Meetups and network. You will have a much higher chance of getting a job somewhere you happen to know someone at that company.

Congrats bro on the raise

I think those 100k out of school things are pure luck or they live in some big city where the cost of living is insane.

I agree that there is so much to learn that you can never learn it all. The front end alone... angular 2 in particular has me so busy I'm finding it hard to have time to really learn the backend to my satisfaction.

KritNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Costa Rica
Congrats bro on the raise

I think those 100k out of school things are pure luck or they live in some big city where the cost of living is insane.

I agree that there is so much to learn that you can never learn it all. The front end alone... angular 2 in particular has me so busy I'm finding it hard to have time to really learn the backend to my satisfaction.
Yea I have decided that despite how excited I am by Elixir, I am going to focus on Ruby and try to learn it in and out. Hopefully Elixir does not blow up in 3 years and I feel like I screwed myself.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Yea I have decided that despite how excited I am by Elixir, I am going to focus on Ruby and try to learn it in and out. Hopefully Elixir does not blow up in 3 years and I feel like I screwed myself.
Yeah man, it's better to be a master at one language than mediocre in two. Knowing how to completely put together a site is better than kind of knowing a couple of languages, but unable to fully construct a site. If elixir really takes off, it won't take you too long to learn it.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Rxjs/ReactX and redux have been taking up nearly all of my time.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I'm in love with React but I've been checking out Vue lately
Oops, I meant to say Reactive X. On the front-end I've been stuck in Angular 2 world. After a year there's still a ton I'm still trying to catch up on lol. Vue has definitely been picking up a lot of hype lately. I heard it's quite easy to work with. I think I'll stick with Angular 2 for a while beyond the fact that I use it for my job because of Typescript. I don't think I want to ever go back to plain JS.

Spin

All Star
Daps

Just being exposed to Elixir or another functional programming language will give you a heads up in the long run. I have been bouncing back and forth between development and more IT related stuff myself. Seems like this stuff is never ending. You're doing the right thing by getting your salary up.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
If you want to save a ton of money, go to packtpub.com and sign up for their little $30 a month subscription. You have access to just about all their books and videos on the site. I believe O'reilly has a similar program. The only downside is you have to read the book through your browser.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Had a call about a consultant position. I basically confirmed that consulting isn't for me.
"What do you know about consulting?"
:dahell:Nothing a$$hole, you're supposed to fill me in on that.
"What makes you interested in our company?"
:dahell:A job, the fukk else for?