Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Arithmetic

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
When I try to download Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64) - 14.0.23026:

z0lWuY8.png

When I try to download Python 3.5.2:

0rdgquq.png

When I try to repair Visual C++:

yTYpWOq.png
Do you have any Windows Updates available?

Carrera Lu

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Jerz
Anybody got a resume template that they have gotten interviews/jobs with?

I'm not sure if i'm not having any success because my projects sucked or the way i described them does.

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
@Cali_livin I made it breh :wow: spent 90% of my day trying to fix it.

I had to set things so that only Windows components would run at startup, then I started Windows Update and let it run for 6 hours after I ran the Windows Update Diagnostic. It still said it was searching for updates after 6 hours so I went ahead and canceled it and tried to reinstall the C++ package with a clean install. It worked :blessed: then I tried downloading Python and it worked :blessed:

Thanks for the help breh :salute: I used elements from Following a clean install, Windows Update remains at "Checking For Updates" forever... to find a solution

Last edited:

Arithmetic

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
@Cali_livin I made it breh :wow: spent 90% of my day trying to fix it.

I had to set things so that only Windows components would run at startup, then I started Windows Update and let it run for 6 hours after I ran the Windows Update Diagnostic. It still said it was searching for updates after 6 hours so I went ahead and canceled it and tried to reinstall the C++ package with a clean install. It worked :blessed: then I tried downloading Python and it worked :blessed:

Thanks for the help breh :salute: I used elements from Following a clean install, Windows Update remains at "Checking For Updates" forever... to find a solution
Good to hear. Now you continue on your journey

delta

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Ghetto Denizen

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
So for my DOD contracting brehs I've been getting emails from recruiters about fully cleared positions paying 170 to 200k for my people with my level experience. I got about 7 years experience software developing as it stands.

Are they blowing smoke up my ass no homo, are fully cleared devs really making 170 to 200k in the DMV area?

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
Working with dictionaries and functions now. in Python.

Getting kinda complicated.
:mjgrin:
I'm completing all of the exercises, but I feel like there's a ton of other ways to code more efficiently.

Also, the attention to detail that's necessary to code effectively is just...:wow:

Can't tell you how many exercises that didn't execute due to missing a ":" or "()".

:sadcam:

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
51 optional ones that stall out at 0% when I attempt to install :snoop:

I'm going to try to get those installed and retry the Python & C++ sequence
Python 3.5+ all need visual c++, try downloading python 3.4, it should not need the visual studio portion.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
try to stay away from windows.
linux/unix is the way to go.
windows only if you are forced to.
tbh many technologies these days will run on both platforms. c#/.NET is one area where windows is more or less mandatory.
go linux - probably redhat (rel) or centos although ubuntu is easier to use (in my experience).
learn a few programing languages - c++/c (foundational), scripting (at least one scripting and one more general language - bash, php, JS etc) and then a framework/stack or two.
then sybase or oracle.. mysql otherwise.
get to know a popular web app server and development environment.
stay away from GUI's if you dont have a talent for design.. although i agree with others above that there are a lot of ops in GUI dev.
it's tough these days. you need to know a lot more than a few years ago and there is a lot more global competition.