Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

MrPentatonic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
I'm going to keep it one hundred. I'm interested in making games so I've dabbled into C# for monogame. BUT I'm not that good at drawing so I've been slowly working on that but I want to cake. So i heard web development is easier to jump into then programming and building a resume to get into the IT world. Is this true? I would like to eventually get into IT and learn multiple languages but if the shyt of web dev is true. Which language do I dive in? Java? HTTP? Or Php?

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
I'll see if i can get the ball rolling ( my work talk lingo :laff::laff:) and post it here.
Do you stare into your monitor as you say this to some Jason Sudiskis looking cac who got some mug with come corny shyt on it and his chaps polo shirt tucked in to not laugh?

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
C++ just isn't as popular as it used to be. These days if you want to stay employed the best languages to have under your belt are Java, C#, Python and Javascript. C++ is very niche. Even in game development it's really only used when you are building game engines, and majority of people working at game development studios don't do that. Unity pretty much caused the indie video game scene to blow up and you mainly use C# there. I know a few companies where even the majority of employees are artists / designers and the few programmers that are there program with C# on Unity. Dynamics of the industry have changed. I would strongly recomment you focus on and master at least one of the languages I've mentioned so that you don't feel so out of place. C++ is good but it's really niche so you are pigeonholing to only a few developer roles (you might even get paid less on average).
And @kevm3
This solely for programming or web design?
What are your thoughts on this?

I want to learn C# btw

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
Microsoft virtual academy has been a big help to me recently with c#
Is it free?
Also 3 months free www.pluralsight.com subscription when you register with microsoft visual studio dev essentials btw if anyone is interested.

They got some good learning vids
I got the community edition I think it's called (free shyt).
I know I should look into in depth tutorials or books but what you think of this
A C# Crash Course - RB Whitaker's Wiki
Also in layman terms what can I do with C# besides apps and games?

Daps
And @kevm3
This solely for programming or web design?
What are your thoughts on this?

I want to learn C# btw

i don't wanna be that guy again, but you have to understand the terminology you are using here

i'm assuming you know what programming means. is PHP a programming language? Yes.

im assuming by web design you mean working on the visible parts of a website (html, css). is PHP used for this? No not really. PHP is used in web development but on the server side. So for instance when you click a login button and your credentials are sent to the server and verified ... etc, that's the kind of thing that PHP is involved with. but for painting the actual button or pictures or whatever .... no.

is PHP worth learning?

my answer: it's worth familiarizing yourself with. it's a part of the history of the web. PHP's popularity is on the wane though, so I personally wouldn't recommend spending a lot of time on it. PHP got drop kicked by Ruby and the whole Rails ecosystem, and these days Ruby ain't exactly hot shyt in the whole web ecosystem either. So PHP ... that's a losing bet to me. C# is a pretty useful language to learn. But what's your background and how new are you to programming? Regardless of circumstance, my advice is always to start simple. You are not going to learn shyt overloading yourself at an early stage and you are always learning if you are a dev anyways. So be humble start small, keep at it, always be open to new ideas, listen to ppl , etc, you are on your way to becoming a rockstar dev.

disclaimer: didn't watch the video, so if i repeated stuff in there sorry

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
i don't wanna be that guy again, but you have to understand the terminology you are using here

i'm assuming you know what programming means. is PHP a programming language? Yes.

im assuming by web design you mean working on the visible parts of a website (html, css). is PHP used for this? No not really. PHP is used in web development but on the server side. So for instance when you click a login button and your credentials are sent to the server and verified ... etc, that's the kind of thing that PHP is involved with. but for painting the actual button or pictures or whatever .... no.

is PHP worth learning?

my answer: it's worth familiarizing yourself with. it's a part of the history of the web. PHP's popularity is on the wane though, so I personally wouldn't recommend spending a lot of time on it. PHP got drop kicked by Ruby and the whole Rails ecosystem, and these days Ruby ain't exactly hot shyt in the whole web ecosystem either. So PHP ... that's a losing bet to me. C# is a pretty useful language to learn. But what's your background and how new are you to programming? Regardless of circumstance, my advice is always to start simple. You are not going to learn shyt overloading yourself at an early stage and you are always learning if you are a dev anyways. So be humble start small, keep at it, always be open to new ideas, listen to ppl , etc, you are on your way to becoming a rockstar dev.

disclaimer: didn't watch the video, so if i repeated stuff in there sorry
First of all thanks for answering and going in-depth for a new comer like me.
When you first replied I didn't know shyt. Just educated myself for like an hour lol.
I know API, SDK, prototyping and pseudocode. Kinda confused on the difference between compiled and scripted languages?
I know different languages do different things :skip:.
I know that I want to learn C# to use monogame to make a game. That's more of a long term goal. I want to learn C# regardless since I've already know a bit (variables, integers and leaving notes). I'm 21 and I don't want to go to university. I want to be in IT via building a portfolio. I want to start making money, maybe (freelance?) web developer is the quickest route while I learn more languages and build a portfolio. I'm in community college and I work part time retail. I hate having these bosses that are a$$holes for no reason and school is so boring. I've always been the student who does great when interested. No longer interested, feel like I'm wasting my time and I know I am. I know it's possible to break free reading from others online but I just don't know where to start since it's all overwhelming. I know this road will take time but I'm determined if you elders can give a youngin some direction. Thanks again breh.

Daps
First of all thanks for answering and going in-depth for a new comer like me.
When you first replied I didn't know shyt. Just educated myself for like an hour lol.
I know API, SDK, prototyping and pseudocode. Kinda confused on the difference between compiled and scripted languages?
I know different languages do different things :skip:.
I know that I want to learn C# to use monogame to make a game. That's more of a long term goal. I want to learn C# regardless since I've already know a bit (variables, integers and leaving notes). I'm 21 and I don't want to go to university. I want to be in IT via building a portfolio. I want to start making money, maybe (freelance?) web developer is the quickest route while I learn more languages and build a portfolio. I'm in community college and I work part time retail. I hate having these bosses that are a$$holes for no reason and school is so boring. I've always been the student who does great when interested. No longer interested, feel like I'm wasting my time and I know I am. I know it's possible to break free reading from others online but I just don't know where to start since it's all overwhelming. I know this road will take time but I'm determined if you elders can give a youngin some direction. Thanks again breh.

no worries breh, i'm not exactly sure how my post tied into API, SDK etc but I'm glad you were able to educate yourself.

If you are dead set on learning C# then completely forget about PHP or any other cool sounding language you may hear about in this thread or wherever. It is WAAY TOO EASY to get sidetracked and spread yourself thin. & this is precisely what you don't want to do when you are starting out.
Get a C# book, get a Monogame book and just start your project .... since you don't know anything be comfortable with banging your head against the wall and having to basically :trash: a lot of the code you spent days on but don't despair as this is part of the learning process.

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
no worries breh, i'm not exactly sure how my post tied into API, SDK etc but I'm glad you were able to educate yourself.

If you are dead set on learning C# then completely forget about PHP or any other cool sounding language you may hear about in this thread or wherever. It is WAAY TOO EASY to get sidetracked and spread yourself thin. & this is precisely what you don't want to do when you are starting out.
Get a C# book, get a Monogame book and just start your project .... since you don't know anything be comfortable with banging your head against the wall and having to basically :trash: a lot of the code you spent days on but don't despair as this is part of the learning process.
Thanks again. What else can I do with C#? (If you know). Also making a game takes lots of time plus other factors (music, sound, animation, marketing, etc). What can I do to replace my current job with learning programming? Just making 2k a month for now would be a blessing

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thanks again. What else can I do with C#? (If you know) making a game takes lots of time plus other factors (music, sound, animation, marketing, etc). What can I do to replace my current job with learning programming? Just making 2k a month for now would be a blessing

If you want to venture into game development ditch programming and learn unity (or unreal engine if your computer can handle it). These tools are so sophisticated that you can make very complex applications with very little coding.

Unity

Unreal

Last edited:

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
If you want to venture into game development don't ditch programming and learn unity (or unreal engine if your computer can handle it). These tools are so sophisticated that you can make very complex applications with very little coding.

Unity

Unreal

I'm familiar with both but my laptop can't handle neither plus monogame can go to every platform and you only to code it all once. Monogame is only 2d btw. 3d would be dope with a team, I'd be down to make some 3d shyt with coli brehs when I can actually code.

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thanks again. What else can I do with C#? (If you know).

A programming language is basically a set of instructions to give to a computer (extremely simplified definition). In the modern world we live in there are many things that are powered by computers. Anything using a computerized system can be programmed. So there's alot you can do with a programming language like c#.

Also making a game takes lots of time plus other factors (music, sound, animation, marketing, etc)

This is why I've personally stopped trying to program games from the ground up and utilize an engine like unity. With this approach to game development I can focus less on programming and more on other aspect like 3D art (I'm also learning blender [https://www.blender.org/] which is also free btw).

What can I do to replace my current job with learning programming?

What is your current job? If your goal is to make money as soon as possible from coding then I can't offer any advice there. I used to study computer science but dropped out due to losing interest. Years ago many companies would outsource programming jobs to places like India, Bangledesh, etc. I don't know what the current climate is now with the job market so you have to ask someone else.

I'm familiar with both but my laptop can't handle neither

So you're saying your laptop doesn't meet the requirements outlined here? Unity - Unity - System Requirements

It even says:

Code:
The rest mostly depends on the complexity of your projects.

So as long as you're making simple stuff your laptop should handle it. Otherwise, if your laptop really is THAT bad then game development would be an uphill battle you may want to reconsider.

plus monogame can go to every platform and you only to code it all once

Unity is multiple platform as well plus smartphones.

Monogame is only 2d btw

These were made with Monogame:

I'd be down to make some 3d shyt with coli brehs when I can actually code.

'When I can actually code'. You say this like it will be weeks from now. It takes awhile to become really good. Also 3D isn't so easy. You have to be good with linear algebra (matrix, vectors) and physics.

Last edited: