Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
Thanks again. What else can I do with C#? (If you know). Also making a game takes lots of time plus other factors (music, sound, animation, marketing, etc). What can I do to replace my current job with learning programming? Just making 2k a month for now would be a blessing

C# is a popular language in web development. Just like PHP it is used for server side programming. A lot of big sites (e.g. banks) prefer using C# to PHP for server side web development because it is statically typed and forces you to organize your code in a way that is easy to maintain.

if you get a real development job 2K is a pittance :mjlol: That's NOTHING compared to your future potential earnings.

Know that it will take you a long time to reach the level the average college grad reaches as far as programming is concerned. If you really want to switch careers to developmennt you are going to have to dedicate a lot of time to it. I personally would recommend formal learning (whether its MOOCs or signing up for a course or two at community college).

doing programming as a hustle vs a hobby requires you to shift your attitude completely. it will stop being fun at times because you will have to do a whole bunch of stuff that YOU don't care about but the market does. if this iis something you are comfortable with .... read on ....

what you need at the end of the day is to build a portfolio. & it can't be filled with random shyt, it has to be filled with stuff that is directly relevant to the job market.

go to indeed, or monster or other job listing sites and look at all the C# openings and what the requirements are (if they say shyt like 'must have bachelors' just ignore that). get the list of skills and requirements and this will give you an idea of what kinda side projects you should add to your portfolio.

you know Meetup? go there and see if there are any C# meetups in your city. it will feel very strange going to these meetups since they are usually filled with cacs %90 of the time and you probably won't understand 95% of the stuff that they are talking about. however, once you go there long enough, certain stuff will just 'stick', and if you are a sociable guy and become a familiar face at meetings, people are more likely to take a chance on you.

i know that's a lot, but if you do step 1 (getting list of skills and requirements from C# job advertisements) and come back to this thread i'm sure a lot of brehs will give you advice on what projects to focus on.

Daps
The whole 'outsourcing to India' trope is waay overblown. It just doesn't happen as often as you think. Plus if indian developers ar so good why does silicon valley scoop up so much Indian talent? Why are Americann developers so highly paid? Because they are great at what they do and the market is willing to foot lots of $$$ for that talent.

The suckas who got :trash: for replacements in Bangalore probably saw that coming from a mile away

Daps
If you want to venture into game development don't ditch programming and learn unity (or unreal engine if your computer can handle it). These tools are so sophisticated that you can make very complex applications with very little coding.

Yes, nobody in this day and age should be fiddling with OpengGL or other low level APIs if they want to make a game. Unity and other game engines reduce the time it takes to prototype and release something, and in today's world, time is always a factor.

By the time you were able to render a cube:flabbynsick: using OpenGL, Deshawn living down the streeet already released two Subway Surfers clones on IOS and Playstore and is now getting $60K a day in ad money :whew: and is getting his dikk sucked by your girl while you read this :umad:

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
A programming language is basically a set of instructions to give to a computer (extremely simplified definition). In the modern world we live in there are many things that are powered by computers. Anything using a computerized system can be programmed. So there's alot you can do with a programming language like c#.

This is why I've personally stopped trying to program games from the ground up and utilize an engine like unity. With this approach to game development I can focus less on programming and more on other aspect like 3D art (I'm also learning blender [https://www.blender.org/] which is also free btw).

What is your current job? If your goal is to make money as soon as possible from coding then I can't offer any advice there. I used to study computer science but dropped out due to losing interest. Years ago many companies would outsource programming jobs to places like India, Bangledesh, etc. I don't know what the current climate is now with the job market so you have to ask someone else.

So you're saying your laptop doesn't meet the requirements outlined here? Unity - Unity - System Requirements

It even says:

Code:
The rest mostly depends on the complexity of your projects.

So as long as you're making simple stuff your laptop should handle it. Otherwise, if your laptop really is THAT bad then game development would be an uphill battle you may want to reconsider.

Unity is multiple platform as well plus smartphones.

These were made with Monogame:

'When I can actually code'. You say this like it will be weeks ago. It takes awhile to become really good. Also 3D isn't so easy. You have to be good with linear algebra (matrix, vectors) and physics.

From what I read on C# outside of games is mainly to make web applications.
I work retail part time while in community college. My laptop is an ASUS with 5th gen i3 and integrated graphics card. Only way I can make something 3d if it's cellshaded, something like Amnesia Dark Descent, or like 3d indie games from itch.io
I know 3d is complicated so I want to do 2d first. I could join in some other way with game designing that's not programming.
I thing I'm gonna stick with C# then later jump to python, html, css and javascript.

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The whole 'outsourcing to India' trope is waay overblown. It just doesn't happen as often as you think. Plus if indian developers ar so good why does silicon valley scoop up so much Indian talent? Why are Americann developers so highly paid? Because they are great at what they do and the market is willing to foot lots of $$$ for that talent.

The suckas who got :trash: for replacements in Bangalore probably saw that coming from a mile away

I don't know how it's like now but back in my day it was REALLY bad. Companies DID NOT hire American programmers at all. I personally knew many programmers who quit that shyt to pursue something else because the job market was looking bleak. When I was in school there was only like 11 CS majors. My math professor would rant about how there used to be hundreds of CS majors but not anymore. Anyway, this was 10+ years ago. Maybe now it's not as bad.

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
From what I read on C# outside of games is mainly to make web applications.
I work retail part time while in community college. My laptop is an ASUS with 5th gen i3 and integrated graphics card. Only way I can make something 3d if it's cellshaded, something like Amnesia Dark Descent, or like 3d indie games from itch.io
I know 3d is complicated so I want to do 2d first. I could join in some other way with game designing that's not programming.
I thing I'm gonna stick with C# then later jump to python, html, css and javascript.

Well, before pursuing a game library like MonoGame you're going to have to familiarize yourself with the c# language first.

Here's a simple piece of code I wrote. Do you understand it?

Code:
using System ;
using System.Collections.Generic ;

namespace ConsoleApplication
{

public class MyApp
    {

static public int EXIT_SUCCESS = 0 ;

static public int Main( string[] args )
        {

CCustomBoxBreh breh = new CCustomBoxBreh ();
            breh.DisplayHeader ();
            breh.MainMenu ();

Console.ReadLine ();
            return EXIT_SUCCESS;
        }
    }

public class CCustomBoxBreh
    {

public CCustomBoxBreh() {
        }

public void DisplayHeader()
        {

Console.WriteLine ("**************************************");
            Console.WriteLine ("**");
            Console.WriteLine ("**     CCustomBoxBreh v0.1");
        }

public void MainMenu()
        {

int nWidth = 0, nHeight = 0;
            int reply = 0;

Console.WriteLine ("Want me to draw a box? (1=yea, 2=nah)");
            reply = int.Parse (Console.ReadLine ());

switch (reply) {

case 1:

Console.WriteLine ("How wide?");
                nWidth = int.Parse (Console.ReadLine ());

Console.WriteLine ("How tall?");
                nHeight = int.Parse (Console.ReadLine ());

Console.WriteLine ("Alright here you go: ");
                this.DisplayBox (nWidth, nHeight);

break;

case 2:

Console.WriteLine ("fukk outta here then!");
                break;

default:

break;
            }
        }

private void DisplayBox( int nWidth, int nHeight )
        {

List<char> strOutput = new List<char> ();

for (int i = 0; i < nHeight; i++) {

for (int j = 0; j < nWidth; j++)
                    strOutput.Add ('*');

strOutput.Add ('\n');
            }

Console.WriteLine (strOutput.ToArray ());
        }
    }
}

MonoGame tutorial playlist: MonoGame Tutorials - YouTube

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
C# is a popular language in web development. Just like PHP it is used for server side programming. A lot of big sites (e.g. banks) prefer using C# to PHP for server side web development because it is statically typed and forces you to organize your code in a way that is easy to maintain.

if you get a real development job 2K is a pittance :mjlol: That's NOTHING compared to your future potential earnings.

Know that it will take you a long time to reach the level the average college grad reaches as far as programming is concerned. If you really want to switch careers to developmennt you are going to have to dedicate a lot of time to it. I personally would recommend formal learning (whether its MOOCs or signing up for a course or two at community college).

doing programming as a hustle vs a hobby requires you to shift your attitude completely. it will stop being fun at times because you will have to do a whole bunch of stuff that YOU don't care about but the market does. if this iis something you are comfortable with .... read on ....

what you need at the end of the day is to build a portfolio. & it can't be filled with random shyt, it has to be filled with stuff that is directly relevant to the job market.

go to indeed, or monster or other job listing sites and look at all the C# openings and what the requirements are (if they say shyt like 'must have bachelors' just ignore that). get the list of skills and requirements and this will give you an idea of what kinda side projects you should add to your portfolio.

you know Meetup? go there and see if there are any C# meetups in your city. it will feel very strange going to these meetups since they are usually filled with cacs %90 of the time and you probably won't understand 95% of the stuff that they are talking about. however, once you go there long enough, certain stuff will just 'stick', and if you are a sociable guy and become a familiar face at meetings, people are more likely to take a chance on you.

i know that's a lot, but if you do step 1 (getting list of skills and requirements from C# job advertisements) and come back to this thread i'm sure a lot of brehs will give you advice on what projects to focus on.
Thank you will try this. What's a MOOC?

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
Well, before pursuing a game library like MonoGame you're going to have to familiarize yourself with the c# language first.

Here's a simple piece of code I wrote. Do you understand it?

Code:
using System ;
using System.Collections.Generic ;

namespace ConsoleApplication
{

public class MyApp
    {

static public int EXIT_SUCCESS = 0 ;

static public int Main( string[] args )
        {

CCustomBoxBreh breh = new CCustomBoxBreh ();
            breh.DisplayHeader ();
            breh.MainMenu ();

Console.ReadLine ();
            return EXIT_SUCCESS;
        }
    }

public class CCustomBoxBreh
    {

public CCustomBoxBreh() {
        }

public void DisplayHeader()
        {

Console.WriteLine ("**     CCustomBoxBreh v0.1");
        }

public void MainMenu()
        {

int nWidth = 0, nHeight = 0;
            int reply = 0;

Console.WriteLine ("Want me to draw a box? (1=yea, 2=nah)");
            reply = int.Parse (Console.ReadLine ());

switch (reply) {

case 1:

Console.WriteLine ("How wide?");
                nWidth = int.Parse (Console.ReadLine ());

Console.WriteLine ("How tall?");
                nHeight = int.Parse (Console.ReadLine ());

Console.WriteLine ("Alright here you go: ");
                this.DisplayBox (nWidth, nHeight);

break;

case 2:

Console.WriteLine ("fukk outta here then!");
                break;

default:

break;
            }
        }

private void DisplayBox( int nWidth, int nHeight )
        {

List<char> strOutput = new List<char> ();

for (int i = 0; i < nHeight; i++) {

for (int j = 0; j < nWidth; j++)
                    strOutput.Add ('*');

strOutput.Add ('\n');
            }

Console.WriteLine (strOutput.ToArray ());
        }
    }
}

MonoGame tutorial playlist: MonoGame Tutorials - YouTube
I do not lol. I simply have visual studio community in my laptop and only know how to make variables and assign int lol

Daps
I don't know how it's like now but back in my day it was REALLY bad. Companies DID NOT hire American programmers at all. I personally knew many programmers who quit that shyt to pursue something else because the job market was looking bleak. When I was in school there was only like 11 CS majors. My math professor would rant about how there used to be hundreds of CS majors but not anymore. Anyway, this was 10+ years ago. Maybe now it's not as bad.

That's not how it is right now fam. I very much believe you though, because I hear bad stories of the dot com bubble crash and all the software engineers who quit the industry and went on to be bus drivers ... etc.. It's changed a lot. Some people say we are in another bubble but that's hard to tell. So much of our day to day life depends on technology.

Daps

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
Massive Open Online Course

Coursera is a good one - Coursera - Free Online Courses From Top Universities

Khan Academy is legit - Khan Academy

UDemy has some nice courses.

Other posters here will give you better example, because I'm personally not really plugged in to what's happening in the C# world or what the best resources are.
Thank you so much. fukking with YouTube tutorials right now but I will jump to those. Only bad thing bout Coursera their seasonal and have a deadline to enter them.

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Some serious gamedev going on right here (not mine):

attachment.php

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
@kevm3 or anybody else

I'm down. I'm thinking how about a 2D beat-em up game using Unity 3D/C# to start?

I think it's important to stress any skill level is welcome( Even if you never programmed a day in your life ), with this project you can:

1.) Have something to put on your resume
2.) Learn to work with other developers( this is a challenge no matter your skill level )
3.) We aren't looking to make money off the game
4.) Questions can be asked here or on Github
5.) Since other fellow developers are working with you, you'll learn at an easier pace , plus we can share websites/youtube videos if somebody gets stuck on something.

I mean the list goes on, I've never worked with Github before( We use Team foundation server @ work ), so i would need to pick it up.

If we get enough people to join this project, I'm looking at this framework to get started - Asset Store . I can pay for it and put it up on Github for everybody.

For the art direction, I've posted a good Udemy Pixel art course and we can all go through it at the sametime( post your artwork in here etc ). I'm thinking outside of work + school, I can dedicate around 20 hours a week or so.

Edit: also if we don't want to be linked to the Coli, I'm thinking maybe an IRC chat room or something along those lines.
I actually bought that pixel art course. Breh I think it'll be easier drawing and learning how to animate (vector art).