Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Seriously, even giving it more thought, I'm not even going to touch Elm and going to keep going with React instead. I don't want to spread myself too thin and value depth over breadth. Just going to run with Golang, React and Elixir/Phoenix and brush up on vanilla Javascript and jQuery with CSS.

I know in interviews they'll ask why I chose to use a certain language for a project, the answer "because I wanted to try something new" won't hold as much weight as giving them the pros and cons of what I chose.

I mainly learn by building projects too. I'll end up picking a language and thinking about what I want to make with it and as build I'll learn how to use the language to add features the features that I want to the project. Right now I'm building a Yelp-type app with Elixir/Phoenix. After that I'll start my job search.

I haven't found too many project-based books, but know they're out there.
Web Development with Go: Building Scalable Web Apps and RESTful Services is a great book that's project-based for anyone else interested in building something with Golang. I highly recommend this one after getting some of the syntax down.

That sounds like a great idea. You are making a great choice in paring down and focusing. When it comes down to it, programming languages are there for you to build something, and it can be easy to lose sight of that and just forever dabble around in different languages. At the end of the day, these different languages just allow us different ways of doing the same thing, which is building software.

I'm going to keep my focus on Javascript/Typescript and C# and really start getting into making stuff and then into subjects like design patterns and data structures and algorithms.

Sane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London Town
I've dabbled in so many languages recently, Clojure, Chicken Scheme, OCaml, JavaScript, Objective C. I've enjoyed using most of them, especially the functional languages like clojure, ocaml and scheme. They really force you to think in different way.

Every time I hear about a new language it has me curious :lupe::sadcam:
I'm still interested in messing with C, Rust and D.:sadcam:
I very nearly bought a book on Haskell just a week ago:sadcam:
Just heard about Nim lang as well:sadcam:
On top of that I've just bought a book on Digital Signal Processing...

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I've dabbled in so many languages recently, Clojure, Chicken Scheme, OCaml, JavaScript, Objective C. I've enjoyed using most of them, especially the functional languages like clojure, ocaml and scheme. They really force you to think in different way.

Every time I hear about a new language it has me curious :lupe::sadcam:
I'm still interested in messing with C, Rust and D.:sadcam:
I very nearly bought a book on Haskell just a week ago:sadcam:
Just heard about Nim lang as well:sadcam:
On top of that I've just bought a book on Digital Signal Processing...

You can read "Learn you a Haskell" for free online:
Syntax in Functions - Learn You a Haskell for Great Good!

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Thinking of signing up for a hackathon here in Cleveland in about a month, does anyone have any experience in these?
What is the skill level necessary?
Do I need to know a myriad of languages?

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
Thinking of signing up for a hackathon here in Cleveland in about a month, does anyone have any experience in these?

you should definitely go, there's no skill level requirement and you'll meet beginners all the way up to pros.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
I'll definitely check it out then, thank you.

the most valuable aspect about these sort of events is showing your face. getting familiar with the people who attend these events can make it much easier for you to land a job in the field.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Especially when you're in school for something entirely different and have a part-time job :mjcry:
I'm a fukkup Mama :wow:

I got my degree in another field and was working at a hotel full time until I got this job. Luckily, I was working overnight and had free time to mess around with programming. If your job lets you have access to a computer with the internet, learn javascript and view your results in the browser. f you really want in on this field, you can do it. Just spend all your free time hard at pursuit.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Where/when is this? I've attended a few events recently, but I haven't heard of this hack-a-thon. Unless I overlooked a few key emails.