Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Reading some of these posts I sometimes feel like someone who recently got out of prison after a 10-year stint. There's all these things I'm not familiar with like github, slack, etc. I do remember using IRC back in the day though. It's convenient but the main thing I don't like about it is that people can easily get your IP address. (maybe it's different now I don't know) Seems like a major security risk.

Also I'm mainly a c++ guy. I don't mess with python, vb, c#, or android development. So all the projects I'll start will be c++. If you're a python developer, for example, you can start your own thing and have other python developers contribute/help/join in.

Last edited:

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
Reading some of these posts I some times feel like someone who recently got out of prison after a 10-year stint. There's all these things I'm not familiar with like github, slack, etc. I do remember using IRC back in the day though. It's convenient but the main thing I don't like about it is that people can easily get your IP address. (maybe it's different now I don't know) Seems like a major security risk.

Also I'm mainly a c++ guy. I don't mess with python, vb, c#, or android development. So all the projects I'll start will be c++. If you're a python developer, for example, you can start your own thing and have other python developers contribute/help/join in.

I'd really like for there to be an entire developer section where we could have separate threads for each programming language so we can maintain a separation of concerns. this thread is really useful but it's a lot for a person to weed through especially if they're looking for specific information.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
@kevm3 or anybody else

I'm down. I'm thinking how about a 2D beat-em up game using Unity 3D/C# to start?

I think it's important to stress any skill level is welcome( Even if you never programmed a day in your life ), with this project you can:

1.) Have something to put on your resume
2.) Learn to work with other developers( this is a challenge no matter your skill level )
3.) We aren't looking to make money off the game
4.) Questions can be asked here or on Github
5.) Since other fellow developers are working with you, you'll learn at an easier pace , plus we can share websites/youtube videos if somebody gets stuck on something.

I mean the list goes on, I've never worked with Github before( We use Team foundation server @ work ), so i would need to pick it up.

If we get enough people to join this project, I'm looking at this framework to get started - Asset Store . I can pay for it and put it up on Github for everybody.

For the art direction, I've posted a good Udemy Pixel art course and we can all go through it at the sametime( post your artwork in here etc ). I'm thinking outside of work + school, I can dedicate around 20 hours a week or so.

Edit: also if we don't want to be linked to the Coli, I'm thinking maybe an IRC chat room or something along those lines.

I'll try to contribute something

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Alright guys I'll make the thread soon. Should I do it in the Locker Room for more visibility?

Currently I'm on Arch Linux dikking around with the desktop environment (openbox). It's oddly....kinda fun.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
Alright guys I'll make the thread soon. Should I do it in the Locker Room for more visibility?

Currently I'm on Arch Linux dikking around with the desktop environment (openbox). It's oddly....kinda fun.

It should be here in higher learning until we get our own dedicated section.

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

We should make a thread on each board informing on this as they're plenty of software developers that stay on one board :pachaha:

keepemup

Banned
Daps
Cool idea but ... :jbhmm:

Easier when somebody has already started something decent and puts it up on GitHub. But usually most ppl who have a good thing going won't open source it on the off chance they are able to monetize it. Another thing, is that GitHub is a professional tool for devs. I don't think that most ppl here would want their github accounts to get picked up on thecoli where they've posted about cac this and cac that :ld:or 'chinks' :mindblown: - good luck surviving in the tech industry after that.
Most of us who program are the sane and more reasonable folk. I don't think that's an issue.

It would be dope to work on something together. If the shyt kicks off that would be epic. There could be a movie. :whoo: I'd have to play myself naturally :obama:.

Daps

how difficult is arch linux to set up? was gonna install it on vmware a couple nights ago but then i realized how much little free time i have these days. i don't wanna spend days just trying to get the desktop gui to show up.

chipmarket

Presidential
Supporter
Daps
E2GvKD9.png

:flabbynsick:

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
how difficult is arch linux to set up? was gonna install it on vmware a couple nights ago but then i realized how much little free time i have these days. i don't wanna spend days just trying to get the desktop gui to show up.

Honestly I wouldn't recommend it. The installation itself isn't THAT bad. The problem is what comes after the installation. Lots of tweaking and adjusting but alot of control over your desktop. It's better (and easier) to just use either Antergos or Manjaro (they're basically Arch Linux derivatives that come with a graphical installer). I'm currently using Antergos/KDE.

keepemup

Banned
Daps
I got an internship with hertz :wow:
Sucks though, my first business meeting I couldn't think of anything to add the discussion, I was pathetic. How do you find a way to inject, because my mind was blank. :francis:
It could work if we do make coli group then it shouldn't link to back tot he coli
I'm down for it, though I'm not sure how much allocate with school
I ask a question in every single meeting as a rule. At least one question.

Or if somebody poses something explore the possible alternatives.

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I could use some help on this, I'm writing a program that gets the factorial of a number in a child process and sends it to the parent in . The problem is I the exit(result) passes the incorrect value unless I divide it by 255, but my prof has disallow this. So is there another system call I can use or something?
Code:
    if (child_pid == 0) { //child process
        printf("Child of Process PID  is: %d\n", child_pid);
        getFactorial();
        exit (result);
    }
    else { //parent process
        wait(&result);
        //result = (result/255);
        printf("\nParent PID is: %d\n", getpid());
        printf("Factorial of %d = %d\n", value, result);

return 0;