Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Anyone comfortable with Visual Studio? We get access to the newest version at school, while we do HTML, but the auto-fill features make me feel 10x sloppier, and I'm trying to avoid bad habits.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Anyone comfortable with Visual Studio? We get access to the newest version at school, while we do HTML, but the auto-fill features make me feel 10x sloppier, and I'm trying to avoid bad habits.

You can get Visual Studio Community Edition for free. There's nothing wrong with auto-complete. Just type everything all the way out if you want to really ingrain it into your memory.

If you're just doing simple HTML pages with maybe a touch of javascript, then use Visual Studio Code or Brackets. They are much more lightweight. For bigger projects, VS Code or a Jetbrains IDE is great, but for smaller projects it may be preferable to go with a lighter weight solution since those products have a lot less stuff to sort through.

semtex

:)
Daps
Boy I`m about to be in for a handful. Going to be supporting this insanely fragmented Legacy application, and from the looks the documentation for it is outdated as hell and all over the place.
:martin:
welcome to my life. :mjlol: they got me working on shyt that senior and principal devs scared to touch. The boy shinin though :youngsabo:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
welcome to my life. :mjlol: they got me working on shyt that senior and principal devs scared to touch. The boy shinin though :youngsabo:

Yeah from what I hear the BAs before me were lazy which doesn't help with there at least being up to date documentation so I can learn the systems and be able to make solid requirements and stuff. I will say they let me know up front in the interview this would be tough which I respected.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis

Yeah it takes a little time to get use to intellisense. But trust me I use to write C++ code back in 96 - 2000(back when Borland C++ was the goto complier ), where we had no where near as many features. You'll love it after you get used to it.

I'm using VS 2013 Premium at work, here's a couple of features I use everyday :

Edit and Continue - https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bcew296c.aspx - I love the Edit and Continue feature. You can set a breakpoint and once your code hits that point, you can edit your code in real time. Truly a time saver.

Immediate window - Great for looking a variables and manipulating data in real time

Bookmarks - Great for navigating large programs

Call Hierarchy - I tend to use this feature when I don't understand the flow of the program
Call Hierarchy

I'm sure there's other things I use, but i tend to use these features everyday at work/home.

Also Microsoft gave another presentation at my job on the following( I actually missed this presentation due to another meeting )

Last edited:

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
shyt. while posting those videos, I realize I did something at work I tell other developers not to do all the time :snoop:

Don't Repeat Yourself - Programmer 97-things

clean-code-and-code-smells-32-728.jpg

LOL.. I cannot believe i fell victim to doing this crap myself.......time to log into my work computer and fix this:mjcry:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I been picking up Java to go with Ruby and I've been looking into Python as well. I don't expect to be a master at all those languages, but it feels great being able to look at code and understand what is going on. Delving into Java and C# will really help me improve my Typescript.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Just jumped into Python @Data-Hawk

So far so good: :ehh:

Using version 2.7 as that is what is used in my textbook. This UI is rather...minimalist, no?

Yeah, Python was really meant to be used in the Linux world, most scripting languages were meant to automate system admin tasks. But because of the ease of use, people wanted to start using them to make actual programs.

I believe you can make GUI's with Python using GTK/TK. I would also look into Python with visual studio. I'll post more about this when I get off work.

Edit: also if you want to have some fun. Look into Python + Raspberry PI

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I asked this question in the other IT thread, but I see this thread has a different focus. So I wanted to ask here as well. I'm making a career leap of sorts. Torn between software development/engineering or network admin. I've been accepted into two parallel programs that will provide paid internships and training:
--On the coding side, it's akin to most of these coding bootcamps that have popped up in recent years, but they also prep you for the MTA cert.
--The other option on the network support end is very CISCO-centric, and gets you the CCNA for routing & switching, and wireless.

I can only do one. I'm torn as to which direction to take. I love dealing with infrastructure and I have a strong interest in network security. BUT so far, coding has been pretty fun. What I'm wondering, however, is if there is a clear path to network security (CEH being the bare minimum of what I wish to do) from coding. I know programming languages are certainly helpful. But would there be a smooth path, or would I more or less have to do "extra" in order to make the two work hand-in-hand? With my background in social work, I actually want to create some app's on the mental health tip that will make treatment less daunting and laborious for clients and their families. But I also want to open a group home in the near future that will have an IT type of niche as part of the treatment model. Which direction would you recommend: coding, or networking?

Daps
ANyone in here fuxks with Elixir. Seems to be the next big thing. I am reading Dave Thomas's book on it right now and I am attending the Conference next weekend in Orlando.

There's lots of trendy languages - Elixir, Go, Clojure, Hacksell - dabble but don't expect it to be marketable fam. I want to mess around with a functional language just to expand my horizons a little bit but I don't have a lot of long term faith in some of these languages so don't pigeon hole yourself too much. Definitely keep in mind which are the most marketable.

Also update us on this thread the shyt you learned dude!!!

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
Man, I'm loving this Python programming thus far:
:wow:

Working on raw_input and formating outputs with {}. Once you start working with inputs/outputs you really start to envision the programming possibilities.

Currently making simple restaurant menus based on time-of-day inputs. (Hey, gotta start somewhere...)

Damn, why did I choose mechanical engineering and not computer science?
:mjcry:

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Man, I'm loving this Python programming thus far:
:wow:

Working on raw_input and formating outputs with {}. Once you start working with inputs/outputs you really start to envision the programming possibilities.

Currently making simple restaurant menus based on time-of-day inputs. (Hey, gotta start somewhere...)

Damn, why did I choose mechanical engineering and not computer science?
:mjcry:

I highly highly recommend Python + Visual Studio . I haven't touched Python in some time, but combing both made things alot easier( and just all around fun )

Python Code Optimizing Tools| Visual Studio

Why write Python in Visual Studio?