Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
@Data-Hawk

Any thoughts on Swift?

I played around with it for about a week. It's 20x better than Objective-C and I really like the playground feature for Xcode.

The only downside you are stuck programming for one platform(iOS). Xamarin is becoming pretty popular (Microsoft just bought the company ). It allows you to write Mobile applications for Android and iOS using C# with up to 75% of the same code base.

Mobile App Development & App Creation Software - Xamarin

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Interesting how there's a great many programmers on here. How would you guys feel about all of us participating in various crowd-sourced, open source projects? (ranging from desktop applications to 3d games)

Daps
Interesting how there's a great many programmers on here. How would you guys feel about all of us participating in various crowd-sourced, open source projects? (ranging from desktop applications to 3d games)

Cool idea but ... :jbhmm:

Easier when somebody has already started something decent and puts it up on GitHub. But usually most ppl who have a good thing going won't open source it on the off chance they are able to monetize it. Another thing, is that GitHub is a professional tool for devs. I don't think that most ppl here would want their github accounts to get picked up on thecoli where they've posted about cac this and cac that :ld:or 'chinks' :mindblown: - good luck surviving in the tech industry after that.

Daps
I played around with it for about a week. It's 20x better than Objective-C and I really like the playground feature for Xcode.

The only downside you are stuck programming for one platform(iOS). Xamarin is becoming pretty popular (Microsoft just bought the company ). It allows you to write Mobile applications for Android and iOS using C# with up to 75% of the same code base.

Mobile App Development & App Creation Software - Xamarin

What language do you mainly use for your work? C# ?

Xamarin looks cool I might check it out. I've made a few android apps but never put anything up on Playstore. Want to have at least one Playstore app, so I don't need to struggle so much to get people to take me seriously when I tell them I've dabbled in mobile development.

Daps
do any of you have a server set up at home that you use for backing up your data (NAS), streaming, anything else you might consider? I bought a few raspberry pis thinking i could use them for such on the cheap, but i'm running them hard and i'm getting fed up with the lack of performance. right now i just want something that's beefy but won't cost me too much money. requirements are:

- is not a power hog because i want to leave it on 24/7
- has at least 2 HDDs set up in RAID 1 (for backups)
- has enough RAM and CPU that i can use it for hd streaming and running various web servers

that's pretty much it. i can build or buy - whatever's cheaper - but i'm leaning more towards build because at least then i can customize it to my precise requirements.

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Surprised someone dapped me. My earlier post wasn't articulated clearly as I wrote it hastily. (was getting something to eat)

What I had in mind was some sort of 'Crowd-Sourcing Initiative' which would only involve programmers on thecoli. Someone would start on something and write the base code for a project (i.e.: a word processor, music player, etc.) and other programmers would download the code and add stuff to the program extending its functionality, fixing bugs, etc. We don't have to use github (though that's an option) but obviously some version control system would have to be put in place. Anyone on the site can voluntarily participate. I know alot of you guys have jobs and school. So this is something you could dabble with in your free time.

Projects can range from really simple stuff (i.e.: a desktop screenshot tool, word processor) to advanced (i.e.: complex 3D applications). And would attract coders from all skillsets.

Cool idea but ... :jbhmm:

Easier when somebody has already started something decent and puts it up on GitHub.

I guess I'll be the guy who'll start on some of the applications to get the ball rolling. I haven't coded anything in years so perhaps this sort of thing is what gets me back into the fold. I'm not terribly familiar with github but I assume it's some sort of collaboration tool.

But usually most ppl who have a good thing going won't open source it on the off chance they are able to monetize it.

Well monetization is not my goal with this initiative. This would be more of a learning experience so everyone involved can sharpen their skills. If 20 random people on the internet contributed code to an application then dealing with the logistics of monetization would be a nightmare. (potential lawsuits and what not) This will just be side projects people work on for fun.

Another thing, is that GitHub is a professional tool for devs. I don't think that most ppl here would want their github accounts to get picked up on thecoli where they've posted about cac this and cac that :ld:or 'chinks' :mindblown: - good luck surviving in the tech industry after that.

I'd imagine for some separating your online persona with your real life identity would be a priority.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Surprised someone dapped me. My earlier post wasn't articulated clearly as I wrote it hastily. (was getting something to eat)

What I had in mind was some sort of 'Crowd-Sourcing Initiative' which would only involve programmers on thecoli. Someone would start on something and write the base code for a project (i.e.: a word processor, music player, etc.) and other programmers would download the code and add stuff to the program extending its functionality, fixing bugs, etc. We don't have to use github (though that's an option) but obviously some version control system would have to be put in place. Anyone on the site can voluntarily participate. I know alot of you guys have jobs and school. So this is something you could dabble with in your free time.

Projects can range from really simple stuff (i.e.: a desktop screenshot tool, word processor) to advanced (i.e.: complex 3D applications). And would attract coders from all skillsets.

I guess I'll be the guy who'll start on some of the applications to get the ball rolling. I haven't coded anything in years so perhaps this sort of thing is what gets me back into the fold. I'm not terribly familiar with github but I assume it's some sort of collaboration tool.

Well monetization is not my goal with this initiative. This would be more of a learning experience so everyone involved can sharpen their skills. If 20 random people on the internet contributed code to an application then dealing with the logistics of monetization would be a nightmare. (potential lawsuits and what not) This will just be side projects people work on for fun.

I'd imagine for some separating your online persona with your real life identity would be a priority.

@kevm3 or anybody else

I'm down. I'm thinking how about a 2D beat-em up game using Unity 3D/C# to start?

I think it's important to stress any skill level is welcome( Even if you never programmed a day in your life ), with this project you can:

1.) Have something to put on your resume
2.) Learn to work with other developers( this is a challenge no matter your skill level )
3.) We aren't looking to make money off the game
4.) Questions can be asked here or on Github
5.) Since other fellow developers are working with you, you'll learn at an easier pace , plus we can share websites/youtube videos if somebody gets stuck on something.

I mean the list goes on, I've never worked with Github before( We use Team foundation server @ work ), so i would need to pick it up.

If we get enough people to join this project, I'm looking at this framework to get started - Asset Store . I can pay for it and put it up on Github for everybody.

For the art direction, I've posted a good Udemy Pixel art course and we can all go through it at the sametime( post your artwork in here etc ). I'm thinking outside of work + school, I can dedicate around 20 hours a week or so.

Edit: also if we don't want to be linked to the Coli, I'm thinking maybe an IRC chat room or something along those lines.

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I got an internship with hertz :wow:
Sucks though, my first business meeting I couldn't think of anything to add the discussion, I was pathetic. How do you find a way to inject, because my mind was blank. :francis:
It could work if we do make coli group then it shouldn't link to back tot he coli
I'm down for it, though I'm not sure how much allocate with school

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
I got an internship with hertz :wow:
Sucks though, my first business meeting I couldn't think of anything to add the discussion, I was pathetic. How do you find a way to inject, because my mind was blank. :francis:
It could work if we do make coli group then it shouldn't link to back tot he coli
I'm down for it, though I'm not sure how much allocate with school

Cool. Yeah I don't think any of us can dedicate a lot of time to the project, just more of a learning/work together on something fun project.

Work+school already leaves me beat most days. But working with other people you tend to be more motivated than if you were doing it by yourself.

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
I'm in (as a newbie).

Between work and family I should be able to dedicated around 10 hours/week. Obviously won't be able to contribute much starting out, but willing to follow along as a learning experience.

Daps
Nice .... some new developments :russ:

I've messed with Unity before for some VR work - deployed to android and everything. So I got experience. @ me once everything is ready. Definitely down. I'd have to create a new GitHub account probably though.