Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

he_is_I

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Pittsburgh/Cincinnati
Sup yall,

I just completed a year at University of Pheonix for an Associates in IT with a Programming certificate and I have one more year to go. I have been looking for jobs that would fit my degree and have been trying to find ways to add to my degree because I have no experience. I am hoping to start off making 60k. Is there any tips yal can give me to help me get in the right direction because I am completely new to the IT world.

he_is_I

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Pittsburgh/Cincinnati
Sup yall,

I just completed a year at University of Pheonix for an Associates in IT with a Programming certificate and I have one more year to go. I have been looking for jobs that would fit my degree and have been trying to find ways to add to my degree because I have no experience. I am hoping to start off making 60k. Is there any tips yal can give me to help me get in the right direction because I am completely new to the IT world.

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sup yall,

This thread might help you better http://www.thecoli.com/threads/it-certs-and-careers-lets-discuss-it.9043/
What language did you learn over there?

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So far I learned Java,C+,Javascript,HTML,CSS,JQuery.
Do you have a github? If you don't you should go make one and make a repo of all your hw assignments/or projects so employers can look what you done.
Also, what do you plan on doing, going in IT or being web developer?

he_is_I

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Pittsburgh/Cincinnati
I don't have a github, but I do plan on making one. I am not sure what path I want too take. Web Development does interest me but it doesn't seem like I would get a good salary from it. I have been looking at maybe being a mobile developer or some type of programmer. I am trying to get started on a path now so I can hone in on a job by time I graduate. I am trying to build enough to atleast begin making 60k a year. Do I really need to know everything jobs are looking for qualification wise or will they train me because I am not to good in any of the languages I learned.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps

I've been to Nashville, Indiana, and Detroit in the past 3 weeks. I put the course down for a while, too many distractions. I'll pick it back up this week or next when things get back to normal. I'll post it when I'm done.

KritNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Costa Rica
ANyone in here fuxks with Elixir. Seems to be the next big thing. I am reading Dave Thomas's book on it right now and I am attending the Conference next weekend in Orlando.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Taking a break from programming or anything computer related really helps you to come back with a strong focus.

Took my son to Busch Gardens and Great Wolf Lodge for 3 days. Probably the longest I've gone without touching a computer in years...lol

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
Starting with Visual Basic.Net tonight.

Had a book lying around so, why not? Will finish this book/course then move on to another language in a couple of months.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Starting with Visual Basic.Net tonight.

Had a book lying around so, why not? Will finish this book/course then move on to another language in a couple of months.

Honestly breh you are wasting your time with VB.Net . Microsoft pushes C# as the choice for developers. Plus if you learn C# you can easily switch over to Java. You would be better off learning Python or Ruby as your first language. I haven't delt with VB.Net in 5 years but one thing you'll constantly hear from VB people who moved onto a different language is you have to unlearn a lot of stuff.

It's not worth it.

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
Honestly breh you are wasting your time with VB.Net . Microsoft pushes C# as the choice for developers. Plus if you learn C# you can easily switch over to Java. You would be better off learning Python or Ruby as your first language. I haven't delt with VB.Net in 5 years but one thing you'll constantly hear from VB people who moved onto a different language is you have to unlearn a lot of stuff.

It's not worth it.

Interesting, thank you for this insight. My knowledge of the programming language landscape is extremely limited, and admittedly it's quite difficult to know exactly where to start.

I chose VB because it seemed to allow me to quickly build very simple yet useful mini Windows applications. In my line of work I do numerous calculations and I was looking to build a quick application to automate some of these calculations. It's stuff that can be done in Excel, but I wanted to put it in a single application to drive efficiency.

I do intend to graduate to higher languages...and if that involves a lot of unlearning of VB, then perhaps as you say it's not the best language for me to start off on.

Perhaps I'll jump right into C#.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Interesting, thank you for this insight. My knowledge of the programming language landscape is extremely limited, and admittedly it's quite difficult to know exactly where to start.

I chose VB because it seemed to allow me to quickly build very simple yet useful mini Windows applications. In my line of work I do numerous calculations and I was looking to build a quick application to automate some of these calculations. It's stuff that can be done in Excel, but I wanted to put it in a single application to drive efficiency.

I do intend to graduate to higher languages...and if that involves a lot of unlearning of VB, then perhaps as you say it's not the best language for me to start off on.

Perhaps I'll jump right into C#.

Python has a lot of excel bindings( meaning you can connect to spreadsheets and manipulate data ).

Our data science department strictly uses Python for all of their tasks and they even have books on Python for data mining.

The only downside is Python is not as great when it comes to GUI apps, at least compared to VB.Net/C#.

Also no matter what language you use, you're going to be frustrated. That's just programming , so you might as well be frustrated with a marketable language.

Last edited:

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
Starting my last year of college
Operating Systems
Software Architecture and Design
Software Projects Computers Networks
Mathematical Foundations
Almost there:to:

Github is slowly dying out. Share your projects on Code, test, and deploy together with GitLab open source git repo management software | GitLab stores repositories but is more collaborative as far as feed back.

Also check out this site, like a Linked in for college students as far as entry level jobs and internships to display their projects. No fee (for now) Start your Portfolium

Last edited: