So you buy an M.2 SSD device that meets standard but there is no guarantee it will work

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

E733AC5XoAk2AC4

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Sweet! But I'm still going to wait for the official update and for Sony to give crystal clear supported recommendations for what ssd to use.

as you should..we dont even have access to the firmware yet.

The same guy said it took him 18sec to copy spider-man over so it looks super fast all around.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
If you tinker with your own PC this is child's play

I'll likely get either the WD Black or the Samsung 980 without the heat sink and buy my own to save a bit of money.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
yeah, its like asking, "but what if someone forces the SSD into the wrong slot on the series x though???" its like ok...im sure there will be dumb people who find ways to break their shyt no matter what, its not worth wondering about.

Impossible, the slot is different from the rest.

You're vastly underestimating the stupidity of the average human.

Fixed

For the last two generations gamers have praised Sony for not using perpriatary memory solutions on their consoles, why is it different now?

Installing an ssd in a ps5 looks no harder than installing a harddrive in the ps4 and ps3. Yall literally complaining about nothing.

They also have to make sure heat is accounted for, or possibly damage their console. There are people who will look at this with utter confusion.

I wasn't gonna be petty, but you butchered the fukk out of "proprietary":mjlol:

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Which SSD's are recommended ? I've got a 2tb external hooked up to the ps5 but
unfortunately, it doesn't allow two or more HDD's to be hooked up like the Series X.
So I have very little memory to swap out all my games.

If anyone has any recommendations let me know, it's cramped over here on my PS5.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The PS5 worked fine with the slowest compatible SSD we could find
That’s why we tracked down an ADATA XPG Gammix S50 Lite, one of the slowest compatible PCIe Gen4 drives we could find at 3,900MB/s reads and 3,200MB/s writes, and stuck it into a PS5, along with another drive.

IMG_1307.jpg

Yep, that’s a 3900MB/s drive all right.
Image by Sean Hollister / The Verge
We compared the S50 Lite against both the PS5’s internal SSD and a 5,000MB/s Sabrent Rocket 500GB in a battery of tests, including load times for games like early PS5 showcases Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart and Spider-Man: Miles Morales. We also measured how long it takes to back up games to each kind of drive, throwing in a Seagate external HDD for comparison, since Sony now allows you to archive PS5 games and play PS4 games from an traditional hard drive.

The verdict? Surprisingly, even the slowest compatible SSD we could find had near-identical load times to the one Sony includes in the box. Sometimes it’s a second slower, sometimes a second or two faster, but basically it’s a total wash. Hopping through dimensions in Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, I saw no appreciable difference with the slowest SSD in gameplay, either. Stepping through pocket dimensions was instantaneous, and when there was a slight pause during a boss fight, I saw the same pause on the internal SSD as well.

Seems like right now the games aren't really pushing the SSD. I'd think in the future some games will be affected if using some slower SSD.

backbreaker65

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Passage of Time
Xbox SSD is a smart short term solution. The problem will come when you need to get a SSD larger than 1Tb. Segate/MS will have to make a bigger memory card to add a 2nd NAND and it will still even more than it is now.