So Will Smith turned down Django??

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Will was right and this is what many of us said in the "Spike goes in on Django" Thread. Django WAS NOT the lead in the movie, Waltz was. This is why Waltz got all the awards and nominations cause QT wrote the movie really about him. The needed to call it "Dr King Schultz Unchined". Jamie was nothing but a sidekick the whole damn movie. And don't give me the last 15 minutes, that was a weak attempt to make Jamie the hero. The fact is the movie died when Candy died and guess who killed Candy? Of course the White Savior. QT didn't want to have Django be the real hero of the movie.

Like I said in my review. Django was average at best and Black People who went at Spike should be ashamed. I'm glad Will didn't take it. As for Will taking more challenging roles. I thought "7 Pounds" was different for him. "Bagger Vance" and "Wild, Wild, West" were his worst roles to me. "6 Degrees" he was young and trying to get in. "Hancock" had issues but the fact is it was a Black Super Hero film with no back story or orgin and he grossed more than major Super Hero Blockbusters.

Will understands success and not doing Django didn't hurt his career. You think they would of given Will an Oscar for Django? LMAO, How many Black people won anything for Django? Oh that's right, NONE outside of the NAACP. Will made the right choice. "MIB 3" did what it did. "After Earth" will be huge this summer and we got "Bad Boys 3" on deck. Then he can do a drama after that. Jamie took the role cause he was desperate. He's had flop after flop. Will is in a different box. Will can't afford to Flop so he chooses his role carefully. If Will flops it's huge news, if Jamie flops nobody cares. I acutally think Django would of been even more successful if Will was the lead cause it would of done even better worldwide. I also glad Will turned down The Matrix. Neo isn't a charismatic character. Keanu was born for that role. Will might of been a little too goofy, lol.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jamie Foxx wasn't even really the lead. That's the whole point Will was making. And at least every hero movie Will was in, that he was able to kill the boss. Name me another hero movie were the lead didn't kill the boss. So come again with that koon shytt.:rudy:

Just off the top of my head Randy Quaid destroyed the mothership and Goldblum gave the aliens the virus.

The chick in MIB killed the main alien

In Hancock Jason Bateman kills the bank robber

Gravity

Banned
Daps
Sounds like an ego thing for him... wanting to be the lead, and wanting to kill the bad guy.

I guess that's what happens when you're a household name :manny:
Or maybe Will just wanted to play Django as the character was billed and hyped as, the lead. He gets my respect for recognizing QT's game. It's quite telling that QT wouldn't relent and allow Django to actually be the lead in the movie. Django is a white movie all the way around.

Daps
Or maybe Will just wanted to play Django as the character was billed and hyped as, the lead. He gets my respect for recognizing QT's game. It's quite telling that QT wouldn't relent and allow Django to actually be the lead in the movie. Django is a white movie all the way around.

Hmm... Knowing that QT has a very very dysfunctional view of black people I don't know why that didn't occur to me. You're absolutely right...

fuk it I can admit when i'm wrong

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lee Slams Smith for 'Driving Mr. Damon' - ABC News

According to the New York Post, Lee referred to the movie as "Driving Mr. Damon" for painting such a pretty picture of racial relations in the Depression-era South.

In real life, black men were being "castrated and lynched left and right," the Boston Globe quotes Lee as saying. "With all that going on, why are you [expletive] trying to teach Matt Damon a golf swing?"

Smith told Mr. Showbiz in a recent interview that he couldn't initially get past the "Yes, sirs" his character had to say in the script, but finally decided that the role and the story were intriguing enough for him to commit. The Robert Redford movie has so far seen so-so reviews and middling box-office business.

That Old Black Magic - TIME

Smith is a bigger star than Damon, and yet it's Damon who wins the tournament and gets the girl
In The Legend of Bagger Vance, one of the more embarrassing movies in recent history, Will Smith plays a magical black caddie who helps Matt Damon win a golf tournament and the heart of Charlize Theron. In 1930s Georgia, no less. You'd think Smith would have used his powers to, oh, I don't know, stop a lynching or two.

Bolzmark

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Will was right and this is what many of us said in the "Spike goes in on Django" Thread. Django WAS NOT the lead in the movie, Waltz was. This is why Waltz got all the awards and nominations cause QT wrote the movie really about him. The needed to call it "Dr King Schultz Unchined". Jamie was nothing but a sidekick the whole damn movie. And don't give me the last 15 minutes, that was a weak attempt to make Jamie the hero. The fact is the movie died when Candy died and guess who killed Candy? Of course the White Savior. QT didn't want to have Django be the real hero of the movie.

Like I said in my review. Django was average at best and Black People who went at Spike should be ashamed. I'm glad Will didn't take it. As for Will taking more challenging roles. I thought "7 Pounds" was different for him. "Bagger Vance" and "Wild, Wild, West" were his worst roles to me. "6 Degrees" he was young and trying to get in. "Hancock" had issues but the fact is it was a Black Super Hero film with no back story or orgin and he grossed more than major Super Hero Blockbusters.

Will understands success and not doing Django didn't hurt his career. You think they would of given Will an Oscar for Django? LMAO, How many Black people won anything for Django? Oh that's right, NONE outside of the NAACP. Will made the right choice. "MIB 3" did what it did. "After Earth" will be huge this summer and we got "Bad Boys 3" on deck. Then he can do a drama after that. Jamie took the role cause he was desperate. He's had flop after flop. Will is in a different box. Will can't afford to Flop so he chooses his role carefully. If Will flops it's huge news, if Jamie flops nobody cares. I acutally think Django would of been even more successful if Will was the lead cause it would of done even better worldwide. I also glad Will turned down The Matrix. Neo isn't a charismatic character. Keanu was born for that role. Will might of been a little too goofy, lol.

I disagree...Django was the lead. Yeah the white dude had a strong supporting role, but the story was about DJango. You calling him a "sidekick" because he was dudes partner? I mean thats how the story went...he had to partnr up wit dude to get his wife back. And please dont tell me that white dude was the lead because he got to kill the main bad guy. DJango was the lead role.

Greenstrings

All Star
Daps
I disagree...Django was the lead. Yeah the white dude had a strong supporting role, but the story was about DJango. You calling him a "sidekick" because he was dudes partner? I mean thats how the story went...he had to partnr up wit dude to get his wife back. And please dont tell me that white dude was the lead because he got to kill the main bad guy. DJango was the lead role.

Pretty much. Their roles are subject to the nature of the story being told. In order to save his wife Django needed access. A black man simply didn't have that in those times. Schultz is there as a facilitator but the driving force is all Django.

Rusty Kuntz

It be ya own peoples, huh?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Myself. fukk 12(1)!
Will Smith is overrated as hell to me as a "blockbuster" actor. He's boring, and I can't picture him doing a better job than Jamie in this role.

The only movies of his I can say that I like are Independence Day and Bad Boys (and that's because of Martin).

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City

Yes on the surface he was the lead but watch the movie. He was playing 2nd fiddle to Dr. King until Candy was shot. Jamie did not command the role to me. Will would of been an equal presence to Chrstoph Waltz. Jamie was not. Also the killing the main bad guy was one of my biggest complaints. Candy was the one who brought broomhilda.

Candy was the reason she was even on that plantation and you don't let Django kill him? Then last year everyone was trying to spin it "Oh Stephen was the real last villian" well that makes it even worst that QT felt that another Slave should be Django's main villian. I completely see why Will said No. But people wanted to blame Will and say he didn't want to take risk. Maybe Will read what we saw. Django basically getting outshinned by Waltz the whole movie.

sfgiants

BANNED
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Will Smith is overrated as hell to me as a "blockbuster" actor. He's boring, and I can't picture him doing a better job than Jamie in this role.

The only movies of his I can say that I like are Independence Day and Bad Boys (and that's because of Martin).

yea i agree overrated:

He is the only actor to have eight consecutive films gross over $100 million in the domestic box office and the only one to have eight consecutive films, in which he starred, open at the #1 spot in the domestic box office tally. Fourteen of the nineteen fiction films he has acted in have accumulated worldwide gross earnings of over $100 million, and four took in over $500 million in global box office receipts. As of 2011, his films have grossed $5.7 billion in global box office.

totally overrated :comeon:

MAKAVELI25

the heir apparent
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang
Peep how Quentin was adamant on NOT letting Django kill the bad guy.

Making Django kill Cotton Candy would not have really thrown the movie off, so I wonder why Quentin didn't make the change...hmmm

Quentin knew what he was doing by making this fake ass "black superhero" movie. But dumb muthafukkas want to raise this shyt on some kinda pedestal.

:ld: You and I might interpret the scene in different ways. I think the scene occurred the way it did to show that Schultz (spelled right?) and Django were truly friends. Schultz had nothing to lose by just shaking DiCaprio's hand and leaving but he felt a deep sense of disdain for Candy. What might have started off as a convenient business relationship between Schultz and Django (as Schultz admits in the beginning) turns in to a real friendship in a time when blacks were regarded as inferior. Schultz was offended on Django's behalf and knew whoever killed Candy would also get killed so he sacrificed his life so Django and his chick could live. At least that's how I interpreted the scene :yeshrug: