So Will Smith turned down Django??

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
yea will is eating good but i think that role could have done wonders for his career. Will Smith Reveals Why He Passed On ‘Django Unchained’ | FreesWorld.com

Before Jamie Foxx landed the role of Django, fellow actor Will Smith was also in the running to play the ex-slave/bounty hunter in the film. Last year, Will revealed that he was interested in the project and was close to signing on, but things didn’t quite work out.

“I came really close, it was one of the most amazing screenplays I had ever ever seen… I was in the middle of ‘Men In Black 3′ and [Tarantino] was ready to go, and I just couldn’t sit with him and get through the issues, so I didn’t want to hold him up. That thing’s going to be ridiculous. It is a genius screenplay.”

But that wasn’t all there was to the story. Apparently, Will wanted certain changes made to the scrip that director Quentin Tarantino refused to make. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Will revealed that he wanted Django to be the lead in the movie and not the right hand man to actor Christoph Waltz‘s character Dr. King Schultz. (Waltz actually won Best Supporting Actor at this year’s Oscars for his role as Schultz.)

“Django wasn’t the lead, so it was like, I need to be the lead. The other character was the lead!

“I was like, ‘No, Quentin, please, I need to kill the bad guy!’”

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
Will smith doesn't want to upset the white man..taking these safe roles...no wonder why he has no oscar

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps
Wouldn't have been the same. Personally, I thought Jamie Foxx was a weird choice too but I still liked it.

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
Will smith doesn't want to upset the white man..taking these safe roles...no wonder why he has no oscar
did you read what the OP posted?
What Will wanted to do would have upset "the white man" (whatever that means).

He thought Django being anything less than the lead was a waste, and wanted to be the one who killed the boss man...thats anything but being safe.

Chris.B

Banned
Daps

He thought Django being anything less than the lead was a waste, and wanted to be the one who killed the boss man...thats anything but being safe.
lol at you believing the crap will smith is saying.. after the Malcolm x debacle he has been playing it safe ever since.

Probably would have turned down Ray too :ufdup:

Jamie Foxx got that Oscar because he takes risks

Daps
Sounds like an ego thing for him... wanting to be the lead, and wanting to kill the bad guy.

I guess that's what happens when you're a household name :manny:

Real

Daps
Reppin
Under Your Skin

Piece of advice....anyone with a red dot...don't waste your time quoting them.

Real

Daps
Reppin
Under Your Skin
He shoulda done Django doe.

Meanwhile, we are gonna get a Hancock 2, I, Robot 2, and Bad Boys 3:comeon:

Bad boys 3 doe:noah:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
that's some added on BS, Django was definitely the star, even while spending 3/4 of the movie as a side-kick.

Will, if you scared, say you scared.

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
There's no doubt Will woulda killed the role. Jamie lacks emotion. Will woulda done that eyes water thing and people woulda cried for Django. Good to play it safe. Movie woulda been better though

Bolzmark

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I dont understand...Django was the lead character. Which is why the other guy won Best SUPPORTING actor. What am I missing? Is it just because Django wasnt the one who actually shot DiCaprios character?

No_bammer_weed

✌️ Coli. Wish y’all the best of luck. One
Daps

yep, this is right. This was the same reason why Will Smith turned down the Matrix (movie was written for him), and other films. Will generally only goes for roles in one-dimensional action flicks, with depthless characters. He'll accept a slam dunk role like Pursuit of happiness for instance, or Ali. Will clearly avoids roles that might challenge the audience, or inspire controversy. Hes wants to be neutral and non-political, and most importantly non-racial.