So What’s The REAL Alternative If This Site Goes Offline?

<<TheStandard>>

I Am A God
Daps
If this site is done then I'm done with forums, been on since AHH and Sohh

There's no other forms left.

I pretty much come here......and there's no where else to go.

I've been here since SOHH and it would feel like a part of my life is gone because between here and SOHH, I've looked at this site literally everyday. During that brief period where SOHH was down, I went to Okayplayer but that site is dead now.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
wonder if thecoli went down because of bots scraping the site.. :patrice:

1/3
Anthropic is effectively eating their seed corn in service of Claude, recklessly scraping the forums of open source projects at a rate that constitutes an attack. They recently brought down the Linux Mint forums and just had to be blocked from FreeCAD's too

2/3
From the Linux Mint admin: "To put it into perspective: over the same time period ClaudeBot caused 20 times as much traffic as the 2nd worst bot and 40 times as much as the 3rd worst bot. The traffic from all other bots combined was a blip in comparison."

3/3
More info here:

To post tweets in this format, more info here: https://www.thecoli.com/threads/tips-and-tricks-for-posting-the-coli-megathread.984734/post-52211196

1/3
Interesting: Anthropic’s ClaudeBot is the number 1 crawler on Vercel: Build and deploy the best Web experiences with The Frontend Cloud – Vercel, ahead of GoogleBot.

UA: Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; claudebot@anthropic.com)

Crawling is expensive for the crawler and the crawlee. Managing bot traffic is of the essence in the AI age, and
@vercel will help you do this with ease

2/3
Yes. Middleware and routing config at the edge, with more options coming very soon.

3/3
We’re testing a model tuned to
@nextjs (incl. app router) and
@vercel
docs on the Playground.

Excited to ship Generative UI and agent experiences with it

To post tweets in this format, more info here: https://www.thecoli.com/threads/tips-and-tricks-for-posting-the-coli-megathread.984734/post-52211196
GMYMHjPacAE3ns-.jpg

Last edited:

Givethanks

Superstar
Daps
I was looking at other forums and :scust:

I looked around boxden, KTT and it made me itchy.

I remember going on IGN for video game stuff back in 2000s but never looked at the forums.

Reddit isn't that bad, the name "Lip Stick Alley" keeps me away, I feel like I have no business there lol.

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
It won't be long until it the site collapses.

this site been holding on by a thin thread for years now.

Forums are a thing of the past and when you really think about it, it's damn near unbelievable the forum is still around

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Why did @cook leave? Anybody know?

Dunno the specifics but it was some race related drama. He was white, always made it clear he was white, but when registration was opened around 2016 or 2017, new posters went out of their way to talk shyt and/or expose that "a white man owns The Coli".

Which was never even true. Dude was a tech guy that co-founded the site, but Brook (a black man) has always owned it.

Brook clearly didn't do much, because here we are. cook was obviously running the site day-to-day. All these issues started with Brook being the sole guy running the site.

Fred.