So we agree that The Amazing Spider-Man 1 and 2 are both underwhelming...(INEVITABLE SPOILERS)

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Superhero movies are for anyone with an imagination. It doesn't matter how old you are.

Superman was birthed in 1938 so that means we now have maybe 3-4 generations of men who were raised on superheroes as children.

I'm sure there's still lots of people out who don't mind taking 2 hours out of their day to relive their childhood.
No point in taking him seriously.

Dude said captain america was an unknown before his movie.

He couldnt make it more obvious his knowledge of the subject begins and ends with the marvel cinematic universe.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Daps
Superhero movies are for anyone with an imagination. It doesn't matter how old you are.

Superman was birthed in 1938 so that means we now have maybe 3-4 generations of men who were raised on superheroes as children.

I'm sure there's still lots of people out who don't mind taking 2 hours out of their day to relive their childhood.

They are primarily geared towards males, Males under the age of 25. This is why the films are generally stocked with male characters front and centre, It doesn't mean that older people or fans can't watch the films, it just means that males under the age of 25 are the main set of people filling up the seats.

Tell us more about your time working at disney:stopitslime:

:pachaha:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CC4QFjAA&url=http://www.mktgsensei.com/AMAE/Product%20Files/Disney%20Nabs%20Marvel%20Heroes.doc&ei=ZdF0U-u1NcuI7Abt2YGwCw&usg=AFQjCNH7xT34hJZJSR692WOqtChcnn_yHA&bvm=bv.66699033,d.ZGU&cad=rja

"By bringing in macho types such as Iron Man, Thor and Captain America, the Marvel deal would expand Disney's audience, adding properties that appeal to boys from their preteen years into young adulthood. That demographic group hasn't been swept up by Disney's recent hot properties, such as "High School Musical" and the Jonas Brothers".

Disney Corporation purchases Marvel Comics - Nashville Comic Books | Examiner.com

Walt Disney’s willingness to pay $4 billion to bring action heroes like the Hulk and X-Men into its pristine Magic Kingdom is a great example of the do-what-you-have to-to-do mindset in the new media market. After years of failing to attract young males to its creative cause, Disney is just buying them.

Disney’s surprise acquisition of Marvel Entertainment — a missed opportunity for rivals Viacom and Warner Bros. — assures its appeal beyond children and families across its film, TV, video game, theme park and merchandising ecosystem. Young male consumers are an elusive, but lucrative demographic is any media segment, as Disney knows from the success of its own ESPN franchise.

Disney buys Marvel Entertainment | Business | The Guardian

Marvel's chairman, Mort Handel, described Disney as a "perfect home" for his company's library of characters. "Both companies have their roots in great storytelling and innovative artistry," he said.

Marvel had sales of $676m last year but employed just 300 people. Disney, in contrast, had a turnover of $37.8bn and a payroll of 150,000 staff at businesses varying from its Hollywood film studios to ABC television, theme parks on three continents and a high-street chain of Disney merchandise stores.

"This helps give Disney more important exposure to the young male demographic that they have sort of lost some ground with in recent years," said David Joyce, a media analyst at stockbroker Miller Tabak.

He added: "When you look at the kind of TV shows on their cable networks, and the Disney consumer products line for the princess and fairies – the Hannah Montana kind of stuff – it shows that they have a lot of strength addressing the young female demographic."

Star Wars: Why Disney was destined to buy Lucasfilm | Film | theguardian.com

As for Disney, acquiring Star Wars (and Lucasfilm's other productions) represents an opportunity to further extend its demographic reach to target male consumers of all ages. Over the past 15 years, Disney has been enormously successful at producing material for girls, through its Princess and Fairies brands. It has been less successful at targeting boys – although Pixars' Cars was a cash cow for the company. Recently, Disney's acquisition of Marvel Productions seems to have been driven by a desire to expand its reach to older boys. Now, when you walk into a Disney store, you turn left for princesses and right for superheroes. Acquiring Lucasfilm continues this process, of developing brands with a broad sweep of demographic appeal (and I'm not for a minute suggesting that boys exclusively like cars, space and superheroes, or girls prefer princesses – rather that this kind of thinking motivates Disney's decision).

It has ultimately acquired Lucasfilm partly because the companies have a longstanding creative relationship, but mainly to intensify its grip on consumers. In effect, the company just paid $4bn to ensure that now, when you walk into the Disney store, you just head straight on for lightsabers.

• With thanks to my colleague the film historian Peter Kramer, who has comprehensively explored the relationship between Lucas, Spielberg and Disney; and with credit to my PhD student Charlotte Meakin, who was the first to observe, to me at least, that Disney acquired Marvel in order to better appeal to boys.

81931-ANYONE-ELSE-gif-Thor-2-The-Dar-0kxs.gif

Last edited:

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
so any statements from disney or just a bunch of random websites??

this is the internet, i can link websites denying the holocaust and arguing the world is flat.

george lucas himself will tell you star wars is for children.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
I could tell you first hand when I went to see Avengers it was a packed theater and there's no way it was all kids cause it was a work day afternoon and all the kids were probably in school. I went to see it with some friends of mine from work and none of them were even geeks like that. I was the only one. They just wanted to see it.

I'm sure kids are a prime target - especially when it comes to merchandising - but they're not the only ones showing up for these movies.

AkaDemiK

I Love Hip-Hop
Daps
saw TASM last night then the new X-Men.....Days of future Past was the better film....there is something missing from these spiderman films....the raimi triliogy had it....these don't....the effects are better....the acting is better....but something is off....I think they need new writers....I havent had any memorable moments yet....I still enjoyed both films....and i'm going to miss seeing my girl as gwen :to:

Daps
saw TASM last night then the new X-Men.....Days of future Past was the better film....there is something missing from these spiderman films....the raimi triliogy had it....these don't....the effects are better....the acting is better....but something is off....I think they need new writers....I havent had any memorable moments yet....I still enjoyed both films....and i'm going to miss seeing my girl as gwen :to:

I'm on the other side of the fence on this one.. Saw Xmen first two days ago and finally caught Spidey last night, I thought Spidey was the better film.. For me I feel like Xmen was the movie missing something, possibly due to the bloated cast and not enough time spent in the future, can't quite put my finger on it but IMO Spidey blew that one outta the water.. They handled gwen's death perfectly I'm gonna miss seeing her too man :to:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

You know what I think it is? By being a slave to the comics, they're duplicating iconic moments rather than creating their own. So Gwen's death is an iconic moment definitely but if you've read the comics or even know the story, you know what's coming. I do think they need new writers though but it could also be a case of Iron Man 2 syndrome so we'll see how the 3rd shapes up.

I'm on the other side of the fence on this one.. Saw Xmen first two days ago and finally caught Spidey last night, I thought Spidey was the better film.. For me I feel like Xmen was the movie missing something, possibly due to the bloated cast and not enough time spent in the future, can't quite put my finger on it but IMO Spidey blew that one outta the water.. They handled gwen's death perfectly I'm gonna miss seeing her too man :to:

I agree with all of that but this leads me to a question I've been thinking about: What are they going to do with the 3rd one? As much as I like this film, the fact that's not making as much money as the preceding installment and not received well critically means that something will be different in the 3rd, because normally that's how studios react. If anything, they could rest on their laurels and say "well, it's made more money so we're good" but it hasn't so I keep wondering what the 3rd one will look like and feel like because clearly the audience has spoken and they aren't a fan of the 2nd (again, in general terms). And with no Emma Stone/Andrew Garfield chemistry, you're already losing a big hook of the movie

Daps
Reppin
NYC
I agree with all of that but this leads me to a question I've been thinking about: What are they going to do with the 3rd one? As much as I like this film, the fact that's not making as much money as the preceding installment and not received well critically means that something will be different in the 3rd, because normally that's how studios react. If anything, they could rest on their laurels and say "well, it's made more money so we're good" but it hasn't so I keep wondering what the 3rd one will look like and feel like because clearly the audience has spoken and they aren't a fan of the 2nd (again, in general terms). And with no Emma Stone/Andrew Garfield chemistry, you're already losing a big hook of the movie

You wanna know what though? I don't think it's really the fault of the film. I think perhaps people in general are just starting to experience Spidey fatigue. We're on our 5th movie now and our 2nd franchise in only 12 years. And as much as I liked ASM2 (I actually think it's the best Spiderman movie that's been made so far)... it doesn't really do anything to reinvent the franchise in a way that demanded people go see it. Strictly judging from the promotional material I think a lot of people just thought it looked like another typical Spiderman movie.

But hey even if it didn't hit the mark they wanted it's still makin boat loads of cash so I think it's safe to assume the franchise isn't going anywhere anytime soon. But I think if they really wanna take the franchise to the next level they have to get cracking on a Venom/Carnage story. I don't know how it falls in line with their sinister six plans but whatever they do they better start planting the seeds now.

Jefe Blanco

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Give us ONE good villain and a focused, smaller scale storyline. The villains in these two movies haven't been good at all, they need to stop rushing Sinister Six and give us one villain and focus on his arc for the whole movie and not throw in two or three more for the sake of their universe.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
You wanna know what though? I don't think it's really the fault of the film. I think perhaps people in general are just starting to experience Spidey fatigue. We're on our 5th movie now and our 2nd franchise in only 12 years. And as much as I liked ASM2 (I actually think it's the best Spiderman movie that's been made so far)... it doesn't really do anything to reinvent the franchise in a way that demanded people go see it. Strictly judging from the promotional material I think a lot of people just thought it looked like another typical Spiderman movie.

But hey even if it didn't hit the mark they wanted it's still makin boat loads of cash so I think it's safe to assume the franchise isn't going anywhere anytime soon. But I think if they really wanna take the franchise to the next level they have to get cracking on a Venom/Carnage story. I don't know how it falls in line with their sinister six plans but whatever they do they better start planting the seeds now.

I think the sinister 6 needs to be the next movie just to take a break from him. Fukk carnage but bring on Venom and Kraven the Hunter and I know Webb says he's a fan of Kraven so I wouldn't be surprised if he's the villain in part 3. If it were me, I'd go with the organized crime angle but it's too late for that at this point because they've invested so much in Oscorp but I think that's what does it for people when you mention spidey fatigue because there have been five movies now with a sci fi angle to them and now 3 movies involving the green goblin and oscorp one way or another.

mrken12

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Maryland
Give us ONE good villain and a focused, smaller scale storyline. The villains in these two movies haven't been good at all, they need to stop rushing Sinister Six and give us one villain and focus on his arc for the whole movie and not throw in two or three more for the sake of their universe.

I agree. They threw Green Goblin in the movie out of nowhere in the end. And even for Electro the writing they did for his character was weak.

And I really hope that if Venom gets in a movie they have someone better to play him than Topher Grace. :scusthov:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
amazing spideman ii, is a dope flick.
plus, you get exactly what should have happened.
to pete's first real love interest in the raimi trilogy in amazing two.
instead of mj superimposed into situations.
pete was prescient, to make sure did not happen to mj after his first love interest.
as mj only had value after what occurs in amazing part two.
after what pete indures, with his original love interest.
the love interest that actually made him a man.
to the point, she gave him confidence to ride a motorcycle, and get real world swag.

the first trilogy just took icons of spidey and made a story with raimi's expertise and vision in the first two parts.
which were grade A, excellent...
yet, by the third part and the studio gangstering raimi into making a typical b movie with a budget.
which is what you don't do because raimi is a master at employing anyone into bruce campbell.
on top of knowing how to make a b movie bad, because he is the expert at making b movies exeellent.
that pissing contest, ruined the entire perception of the original trilogy.

in the next installment or reboot, called amazing.
you get the modern mix of the reboot heros reborn and after arcs'.
plus, the cool spidey/gwen in the mtv animated series.
on top of the creation of oscorp into a huge conglomerate like the current rebooted comics and it is done exactly right.
even better than the current comix,....

so, right now,...
i actually like the amazing series better than the the original.
especially after part two,..where i got the same feeling of unexplainable whatever it is.
that i had and still have after witnessing what occurrs in comic, and on film, in amazing.

which is the death of gwen stacey. as i lived losing my original and argueably first love. so, i have a connection to reading spidey. that goes beyond, just thwip and a place on chelsea. to the point, the actual scene hit me a bit harder than the crow. when, the crow also is high up there because of this connection, to the main character. as i know the void, of the situation and the inexplainable feeling of,......

amazing is expertly done compared to the re-righting a lot of the wrong in the comic reboot and the movies.
so, if you know of how badly they messed up spidey in the comics.
during the bagley era, to now, and after the reboot.
plus, take into account the fukkup on part three of the original trilogy.
added with the high quality spiderman cartoons in cgi, and on cartoon networks.
then, you should be pleased, with the outcome.

if you don't indulge in any type of spidey.
after say mcfarlane stopped penciling on spiderman, after amazing.
then, you won't appreciate the new reboot at all.
the reboot is the what if, sony got spiderman completely right after fukking it up.
plus, making it digestible to the new gen of spidey fans, from the reader to the cartoons.

amazing spiderman is grade A, if you look at it from that perspective.

art barr

Last edited:

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
amazing spideman ii, is a dope flick and you get exactly what should have happened to pete's first real love interest in the raimi trilogy in amazing two.
as mj only had value after what occurs in amazing part two.
the first trilogy just took icons of spidey and made a story with raimi's expertise and vision in the first two parts.
which were grade A, excellent...
yet, by the third part and the studio gangstering raimi into making a typical b movie with a budget.
which is what you don't do because raimi is a master at employing anyone into bruce campbell.
it ruined the entire perception of the original trilogy.
in the next installment or reboot, called amazing.
you get the modern mix of the reboot heros reborn and after arcs'.
plus, the cool spidey/gwen in the mtv animated series.
on top of the creation of oscorp into a huge conglomerate like the current rebooted comics and it is done exactly right.
even better than the current comix,....

so, right now,...
i actually like the amazing series better than the the original.
especially after part two,..where i got the same feeling of unexplainable whatever it is that i had and still have after witnessing what occurrs in comic, and no on film.

amazing is expertly done compared to the re-righting a lot of the wrong in the comic reboot and the movies.
so, if you know of how badly they messed up spidey in the comics.
during the bagley era, to now, and after the reboot.
plus, take into account the fukkup on part three of the original trilogy.
added with the high quality spiderman cartoons in cgi, and on cartoon networks.
then, you should be pleased, with the outcome.

if you don't indulge in any type of spidey.
after say mcfarlane stopped penciling on spiderman, after amazing.
then, you won't appreciate the new reboot at all.
the reboot is the what if, marvel got spiderman completely right after fukking it up.
plus, making it digestible to the new gen of spidey fans, from the reader to the cartoons.

amazing spiderman is grade A, if you look at it from that perspective.

art barr
Prolific posting :wow:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
I agree. They threw Green Goblin in the movie out of nowhere in the end. And even for Electro the writing they did for his character was weak.

And I really hope that if Venom gets in a movie they have someone better to play him than Topher Grace. :scusthov:

i don't even read much of the new reboot of the comix.
yet, green goblin's appearnce and what takes place.
is damn near right out of the panels of that comix.
so, goblin is not just thrown in out of nowhere.
it was one of the few times in a comix movie.
where, at least it stuck to some printed source material for a change.
instead of just giving us icons labled as superheroes and villains we connect with to mainstream labels.

art barr

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Prolific posting :wow:

preciate it,...handshake!!

the new spiderman is for people who are consistent in keeping up with every incarnation of spidey.
if anyone naysays it,..it maybe because they don't indulge in any newer spidey reboots.
or, any of the animated series since, ASM, the series was on fox.

they expertly mixed the best animated spiderman in cell CGI.
the spidey cartoon from mtv perfectly into this movie franchise.
which is grade a, dope considering how little people may have known or not known about that series as well.

art barr