So should Kobe be ranked in the top 10 or not?

Is Kobe in the top 10?

• Yes

Votes: 116 78.9%
  • No

Votes: 31 21.1%

• Total voters

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Go look up the 81 finals series and try again.
So you’re reluctant to say who the best player on the Celtics was in the 1980-1981 season?

So Bird didn’t lead the Celtics in pretty much every major statistical category through the entirety of the 81 playoffs?

It surely was Cornbread Maxwell who was fed in a team effort non dominating Finals performance, correct?

Look y’all lol we can play all day or we can discuss things like men

fifth column

Superstar
Daps
So you’re reluctant to say who the best player on the Celtics was in the 1980-1981 season?

So Bird didn’t lead the Celtics in pretty much every major statistical category through the entirety of the 81 playoffs?

It surely was Cornbread Maxwell who was fed in a team effort non dominating Finals performance, correct?

Look y’all lol we can play all day or we can discuss things like men
I never said anything about the season, I’m talking about the finals. You are arguing against yourself. Bird has 2 fmvps same as Kobe. Bird was not the best player on his team in the 81 finals.

JackRoss

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Wtf are you talking about? Bird played the 3 & 4 most of his career. A true precursor to the stretch 4

Of course they played the game differently, it’s clearly not a direct comparison. It was more comparing their scoring prowess due to their proficiency as elite shooters

That’s why I said if you added those attributes to Dirk, you’d get an approximation of what Bird was. Bird was a point forward Dirk was not.

lol nah. Dirk was soft as baby shyt

Houston911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The "If He Stayed in Charlotte" argument does not have to stop. Every great is affected by where they end up drafted.

Percentages are about seasons and careers not 1 game.

When I said the argument has to stop, I’m referring to people making the assumption that there was no chance that he could have won there. We don’t know that

I’m aware of what a percentage is. It doesn’t change what i said and players don’t look at the game that way.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
When I said the argument has to stop, I’m referring to people making the assumption that there was no chance that he could have won there. We don’t know that

I’m aware of what a percentage is. It doesn’t change what i said and players don’t look at the game that way.
When has Charlotte proven to be a solid front office? He likely does not win there and even if he got 1, that's a vastly different career.

It does change what you said because everyone knows that it's not a big deal in 1 game. But when it's your career mark while including scorching hot streaks it stands out compared to the tier of players he's compared to.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
You can make the argument both ways. I slightly favor Bird but don't think it's a big deal and I could make the argument the other way, too. Here's what I'd say for Bird, though:

•slightly higher peak than Kobe, whether you're talking GOAT year ('86 Bird vs '06 Kobe) or 5-year peaks
•Bird was the best player on all three of his championship runs; Kobe was the best player 2/5 of his championships; Bird didn't get to stack championships with the Shaq of his day (woulda been Kareem or Moses) carrying the load early to titles
•Bird was a Day 1 phenom wrecking shyt from the start
•skillset to skillset, Bird was a much more dynamic offensive player overall, a better shooter, and you could easily argue he was a more dangerous scorer
•that run of three straight MVP's is some legend shyt and it just ain't the MVP's because a few guys have matched Bird's production 1983-86 but didn't win three straight MVPs. Kobe isn't one of them, no consecutive three year run he was on matches Bird's in this stretch

It ain't a big gap at all because I can turn this argument in Kobe's favor pretty easily, Bird definitely ain't in some whole separate tier from Kobe, but I think the aggregate of Bird's work gives him the slight edge. Even if you disagree, I find it incredulous that nikkas don't even "see" how Bird has an argument...

2005-2010 Kobe is just as great as Bird. Better for sure when you factor in defense. He was First Team All-Defense as well as All-NBA. You guys love to discount that shyt but if the shoe was on the other foot you'd point it out in a heartbeat.

Bird played with superior talent in his prime than Kobe did for a few years. Bird isn't winning with Smush Parker as his third option either. Don't go this route. You're not gonna act like Parish, McHale, DJ, Maxwell and Ainge were scrubs while Luke Walton and Kwame Brown were good enough to win a title with.

"Bird was a Day 1 phenom..." :dead: You just gonna leave out that he was 23 his rookie season while Kobe entered the league at 18? This is the disingenuous garbage you guys like to spew to discredit Kobe. At 22 Kobe put up 28/6/5 (29/7/6 in the playoffs) so it's safe to say he would have been a "Day 1 phenom" if he went to college for four years as well. :mjlol:

Magic did not even close the gap until the latter part of the 80’s. He was able to pass Bird up in accolades after his decline due to his debilitating injuries. Peak for peak Bird was a hair better than Magic, but they both share that decade

Mike was the most transcendent talent in the league by the mid-late 80’s but did not have the team success. The 90’s is his decade

Kobe went to more Finals yes, he was the leading force behind 3 of those trips and won 2 as the best player. Bird won 3 titles as the best player

By that definition, LeBron has no case over Kobe in the 2000s. Duncan is Kobe's only peer and Kobe won more titles in the decade as well as playoff matchups head-to-head.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
What is the MJ mystique that you speak of? I see this get brought up but no one can explain this “mystique”

It's been explained many times before. It's the fact that Jordan came along at the unique opportunity of becoming the first commercialized, off-the-floor basketball player, and what that globalization did to the collective perception of him as a player to people in his age range and the immediate generation of fans after him...

Most people older than Jordan have a very different outlook on where he stands in history, so do most of the youngins who are now adults but were born during or post 3peat, that didn't grow up in the era immediately under his shadow. It's all of us (99% of the posters on here) who were born roughly 1965-1995, I'm an exception and there are others, but most people born in that window were fed Jordan Mystique and it dominated and controlled the narrative of how we judged basketball players...

First of all, I think Bird >> than Dirk.... 2nd... .Did you even see Bird play.... you didn't see a prime Lake Show, so what can you say about Bird with your own eyes?

I never said I saw Bird, but since we're in the business of being transparent, when did you start watching ball?

If we're only going by what we've seen with our own eyes, sure, Kobe is Top 4 I've ever seen and I can make the argument for Top 2. That's a different question than All-Time but at least it explains why you're ranting so hard, you're not ranking him All-Time, you're just doing on who you've seen, right?

Bird was a tremendous player, definitely top 10 in his own right. But he played on more stacked teams than Kobe had with Shaq and Kobe still went to more Finals and won more rings. And those making the argument that Kobe wasn't a catalyst during the Shaq years are the same people that think the only playoff performances that count are the ones that occur during the Finals.

All the playoffs count. Kobe has a losing case versus Bird period if we are talking about complete postseason moments (all rounds), and has nowhere near a Top 5 case as a postseason performer. Kobe's regular seasons help his legacy in these conversations more than his postseasons, though obviously both matter on the whole....

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Bird only had like a 7 year prime(maybe 8) while Kobe's was like double that.... .at least... .there is no argument for putting Bird(or Magic) over Kobe.... not a legit one....

It would help if you finally said what you think is illegitimate about Bird's case over Kobe instead of just attacking nikkas with emotional rants. Talk basketball...

One of the points in Kobe's favor over most guys is he had a long prime, definitely a point over Bird. I'm not sure anyone disputes that though...

I like the Kobe over Magic case a lot better than over Bird. I'm not sure where I completely stand on it but it's closer than Kobe and Bird...Magic is overrated...

Instead of Kobe being just outside the top ten we really need to take a look at Bird:jbhmm: Yes he and magic helped take the game to another level but does that make him a better player than Kobe:patrice: I can't pick Larry over a guy that not only could take over offensively but could also shut your ass down defensively:ufdup:

Bird was a better defender than guys think...

That said, Bird's attributes that suggest him as a greater player than Kobe have already been mentioned upthread. They have a case on each other but Bird's case is probably stronger...

Kobe had valuable, prime years wasted on pretty awful squads surrounding him. You could argue they were the best years of his basketball playing career, where the game came the easiest to him.

Not a lot of other guys up for Top 10 discussion can you say that about. Kobe probably wins 6-7 rings if he doesn't have that 3.5yr drought in the middle of his prime playing with Javaris Crittentons and Lamar Odoms, imo.

Kobe was a better basketball player than Bird and Magic, imo. To answer the poll, yes.

For sure not winning a title with those casts isn't the strike on him. Missing the playoffs and losing in the first round is though, when you compare him to the handful of guys who have had similar cats and gone deeper with them. Again it ain't something that is ultra important but it gives others an edge when you can say, "well other guys had prime years with weak support but elevated them higher"...

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
How do we know that Bird was the clear #1 when he only has 2 fmvps just like Kobe. How did Bird play in that 81 finals? Give me something

Don't do that. Was Igoudala the Warriors best player in '15? Was Kawhi the Spurs best player in '14? Was Pierce the Celtics best player in '08? Was Parker the Spurs best player in '07?

Bird was the runner-up MVP in 1980-81. I don't know why you're trying to be contrarian as if he wasn't their best player, they ain't nowhere near The Finals without him. We see guys win FMVP every few years who aren't actually the best players on their team...

There aren’t 7 players in league history better than Kobe and by better I mean Kobe would bust their ass if they played in their primes. The people who can’t be touched: Jordan. Kareem. Aight. But after them? :usure: Jordan was busting everybody ass at 24, 25 but y’all think Prime 2005 Kobe wouldn’t do the same to Bird and Magic or 2003 Kobe or Fro Kobe. If you dropped 81 point Kobe back in 1989, Jordan would’ve HATED that nikka. Honestly LeBron should be thankful he’s six years younger. By the time LeBron came into his own Kobe was 30, 31 years old. Let’s say Kobe was born in 83 or 84, they would’ve been the same age and got to play in their primes together. There’s no way you could’ve been arguing LeBron was the best in anything with Kobe over in the West averaging 50 points a month.

Basketball ain't 1v1. Kobe at his peak would give anybody problems...

Kobe and Bron's primes overlapped for about 9 years, don't do that. They had moments on each other, but Bron outplayed Kobe more than the other way around...

I don't disagree though that there aren't many players in NBA history better than dude. He's Top 10...

Bruh I don't think most people view Kobe as "inefficient". Its only when you start lining him next to the FEW other great perimeter players at this level, those players were more efficient and took fewer bad shots. This isn't even something to get worked up about, his shooting percentages were fine for his era he wasn't as efficient a shooter or scorer as a handful of other guys...