So because of Black Panthers success studios are plotting to appeal to black audiences

The Message

Lex with tv sets the minimum
Daps
to me, Get Out was the tipping point

BP opened the flood gates

cant just be black actors tho. gotta be writers, producers, costume designers, casting, exec producers, etc

but if we had the distribution...thats the checkmate.

holla at the breh byron allen. he got the keys

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
They gotta give black producers actors and writers the green light.

The only way it will work.

But, it will fail because they still will have to cater to white (wider) audiences

One concede even the biggest supporter of Black Panther has to have; it's great and a success that they made the movie, but, there's no other way it could've been made without all black actors, black writers and a director

Not to say they don't deserve it, but, Marvel smart enough not to try to defend having a white guy director and write this--horrible PR

Success is when black people can play the background of power and get chances to fail

If this movie is regular successful every Hollywood execs is like It's just because it was Black history month, it's the only black superhero movie--a niche, etc.

Time will tell, but, I'm tired of waiting for advancement only to be hoodwinked

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
:beli: Now we're a big draw huh??? I remember a certain super director's comments on exodus on he can't cast a certain people because they don't push movies overseas... :mjpls:

George Lucas said something similar about Red Tails. Basically, studios weren't trying to fund it because black movies don't draw enough audience to make a big budget black movie worthwhile.

I guess those studios know better now :myman:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Echoing what others said, it does come down to distribution. Honestly, it's several things.I posted it in the black panther box office watch thread that Black Panther broke box office records in Africa... but the problem was (and has been) that the West Afrika region (Nigeria, Ghana, etc) only has like 32 theaters... period.

Basically those regions struggle with distribution bc of various reasons likely going back to not having as strong an infrastructure to support those types of luxuries. So it's multifaceted. Blacks in the diaspora have to do what they can to build their own studios and distribution companies, and afrikans naturally have to handle their business in improving the state of their countries.[easier said than done for both of course].

Basically black americans have the experience and creativity in mainstream entertainment while black afrikans have the vast numbers of willing bodies if theaters/avenues were available like that, so both sides have work to do in getting to that ideal state where that future partnership could reap instant billions for movies like a black panther or actual black owned studio productions.

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
:beli: Now we're a big draw huh??? I remember a certain super director's comments on exodus on he can't cast a certain people because they don't push movies overseas... :mjpls:

Ridley Scott on 'Exodus: Gods and Kings' Whitewashing Controversy

Also:
But NOW black stories with black casts on a grand scale can be a box office draw and success...:coffee:

+rep

Yep, and I almost forgot them Sony emails where they said Denzel wasn't shyt overseas

Or how Idris can't be Black Bond because it would flopped