Snake Eyes | July 2021 | GI Joe Spin-off

Daps
I'm gonna drop a more in depth review of what I disliked most about it and what I felt worked in the movie itself later, but I just wanna say for those on the fence, if you're not a GI Joe stan like me, this isn't on the surface a "bad" movie. It just irks me that it doesn't seem hard to please Joe fans AND casual movie goers AND put your own spin on things, but these movies always fail to do that.

If you came into this movie knowing nothing about GI Joe, Snake-Eyes, Storm-Shadow, and The Arashikage Clan and their folklore, you won't come away feeling like you wasted your time.

I said it before, but the most shocking and positive take on this to me was how they treated the maturity of the movie as a whole. There's few if any comedy relief moments. No cheesy toilet humor. No sexual innuendo. No punchlines. It's a serious take on the story they tell.

Just imagine if they took that approach and stayed true to the source material or even made this rated R and treated it like an actual military based franchise movie.

Shyt could have been epic. :francis:

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
I grew up watching the cartoon and played with the toys and even the videogames but there’s no way I’m gonna spoil my fun by giving a fukk about the plot. It’s impossible to stay true to the source in multimedia. Why? Cause its never the same person working on shyt AND when the creator does has input he’ll change some shyt and I’m okay with that too because it was his creation to begin with. Perfect example “The Dark Tower”. Alternate Roland. Just think of this Snake Eyes as an alternate timeline.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
man, I gotta know the advertising budget for this movie. cuz it seems like the entire NBA playoffs and the last few months watching shyt on youtube, I am getting constantly bombarded by ads for this movie to the point where I don't wanna see this shyt outta spite.

Won Won

Superstar
Daps
They are popular, but it's mostly adults buying them though. I have Snake Eyes and Timber pre ordered. Not only that, Hasbro doesn't produce a lot for the of them for the stores in order to create a scarcity mindset or whatever. The main people who give a crap about G.I. Joe are adults. Most kids today would rather play Fortnite and spend their money on in game stuff.

You're saying Hasbro needs to appeal to adults and not kids, with quality products they'll buy, but then you agree that they're appealing to adults with popular, quality products? :gucci:

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
Man, I'm a GI Joe fiend from the 80s/90s Marvel comic run and the continuation with Image and Devils Due. I been waiting on a real true Snake-Eyes/GI Joe movie since the 80s. Storm-Shadow and Snake-Eyes are my favorite comic book characters of all time.

Just got back from seeing this. I had very low expectations.

If this were a stand alone movie on its own with no connection to GI Joe, it could have been a pretty decent flick. But it totally obliterates souce material. And I'm not talking mere deviations, or gender/race changes. But if you take a character and the only similarity that character has with its origin is the name, then whats the point? And for an "origins" movie, character development was practically non-existent.

This is the 3rd GI Joe movie so its safe to say we're probably never gonna get a live screen adaptation from the original storyline that does the franchise justice. I just dont understand the reluctance to stick to the script, or at least the heart of it. There were at least 3 scenes or revelations in this shyt that I literally said out loud, "What?!?" :what:.

And there's this one scene of Snake-Eyes's training, no spoilers, is the epitome of :why:

This film had potential, and GI Joe isnt exactly a well known franchise to younger generations, so they had a legit opportunity to throw their hat in the ring amongst all the other comic book, toy, anime, nerd shyt captivating the entertainment industry. But I dont see this doing that. The fight scenes were OK. Nothing spectacular but they weren't total failures either. And surprisingly, this movie wasn't spoiled with stupid ass jokes. It was actually a straight through "serious" take centered on action. But man, when it falls flat, the flaws IMO were glaring.

And Jeezuz, I ain't one to shyt on people's looks, but Scarlett looks hideous in this shyt. :huhldup:

Baroness on the other hand :shaq:
i had a feeling it was not sticking to the script because baroness is in it. i was like "oh, they doing some other shyt"

Tetsuo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Texas
Just saw this. It was decent.

I'm not a GI Joe fan or familiar with the lore, but I loved the 1st film. The Snake Eyes in that one; the quiet badass who gets shyt done, I was interested in the origins of him not this Splinter Cell Double agent ass nikka:stopitslime:

If dudes are gonna keep making fight scenes where someone is taking on multiple assailants, make that shyt more believable. Tired of seeing mooks dancing around while one of their boys gets a complimentary set of beats from the main character.

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
not sure how to feel about this, didn't hate it or love it
the shaky cam was really bad but I got used to it
Snake Eyes pretty much being the villain of this was a interesting decision
He did way more worst things than Storm Shadow but I guess the original sin was introducing Snake to the Clan
they snuck in a Women's power movement scene
We really didn't get to see Snake vs SS at all
I did like both Scarlett and Baroness, give them a show going at each other

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
had just enough 80's camp
with that bullshyt fire gem nonsense :russ:

fights were nice

still hard to take crazy rich asian guy as any sort of super hero though

stormshadow though...he was dope

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
I had some hope for this, but after hearing how they didn't come through with the action scenes which is the most important for me :francis:, will just wait until it goes to Paramount+ or something.

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
Late 70's baby I grew up off watching GI Joe Cartoon Series, had their toys and I was well pleased with the Movie, it was dope! I just left the movie theater with my son who I introduced GI Joe a few years ago when I brought him GI Joe Cartoon Box Set and he enjoyed the movie, can't wait to see this Movie Franchise Continue