Snake Eyes | July 2021 | GI Joe Spin-off

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
This movie seems to be pushed extremely hard. It looks cool, but i'ma go in with low expectations. They not getting me. :ufdup:

Daps
Man, I'm a GI Joe fiend from the 80s/90s Marvel comic run and the continuation with Image and Devils Due. I been waiting on a real true Snake-Eyes/GI Joe movie since the 80s. Storm-Shadow and Snake-Eyes are my favorite comic book characters of all time.

Just got back from seeing this. I had very low expectations.

If this were a stand alone movie on its own with no connection to GI Joe, it could have been a pretty decent flick. But it totally obliterates souce material. And I'm not talking mere deviations, or gender/race changes. But if you take a character and the only similarity that character has with its origin is the name, then whats the point? And for an "origins" movie, character development was practically non-existent.

This is the 3rd GI Joe movie so its safe to say we're probably never gonna get a live screen adaptation from the original storyline that does the franchise justice. I just dont understand the reluctance to stick to the script, or at least the heart of it. There were at least 3 scenes or revelations in this shyt that I literally said out loud, "What?!?" :what:.

And there's this one scene of Snake-Eyes's training, no spoilers, is the epitome of :why:

This film had potential, and GI Joe isnt exactly a well known franchise to younger generations, so they had a legit opportunity to throw their hat in the ring amongst all the other comic book, toy, anime, nerd shyt captivating the entertainment industry. But I dont see this doing that. The fight scenes were OK. Nothing spectacular but they weren't total failures either. And surprisingly, this movie wasn't spoiled with stupid ass jokes. It was actually a straight through "serious" take centered on action. But man, when it falls flat, the flaws IMO were glaring.

And Jeezuz, I ain't one to shyt on people's looks, but Scarlett looks hideous in this shyt. :huhldup:

Baroness on the other hand :shaq:

twan83

GOAT FATHER
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Texas
I actually liked it more than I thought I would
The 2nd half more so toward the end really picked up

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
IMO, they're 0-3 in live-action Joe flicks. Have these people ever seen G.I. Joe before? It's so removed from the source material, it may as well be something else.

I will say Baroness was dope, Blind Master was dope. Who were we supposed to root for?

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
Man, I'm a GI Joe fiend from the 80s/90s Marvel comic run and the continuation with Image and Devils Due. I been waiting on a real true Snake-Eyes/GI Joe movie since the 80s. Storm-Shadow and Snake-Eyes are my favorite comic book characters of all time.

Just got back from seeing this. I had very low expectations.

If this were a stand alone movie on its own with no connection to GI Joe, it could have been a pretty decent flick. But it totally obliterates souce material. And I'm not talking mere deviations, or gender/race changes. But if you take a character and the only similarity that character has with its origin is the name, then whats the point? And for an "origins" movie, character development was practically non-existent.

This is the 3rd GI Joe movie so its safe to say we're probably never gonna get a live screen adaptation from the original storyline that does the franchise justice. I just dont understand the reluctance to stick to the script, or at least the heart of it. There were at least 3 scenes or revelations in this shyt that I literally said out loud, "What?!?" :what:.

And there's this one scene of Snake-Eyes's training, no spoilers, is the epitome of :why:

This film had potential, and GI Joe isnt exactly a well known franchise to younger generations, so they had a legit opportunity to throw their hat in the ring amongst all the other comic book, toy, anime, nerd shyt captivating the entertainment industry. But I dont see this doing that. The fight scenes were OK. Nothing spectacular but they weren't total failures either. And surprisingly, this movie wasn't spoiled with stupid ass jokes. It was actually a straight through "serious" take centered on action. But man, when it falls flat, the flaws IMO were glaring.

And Jeezuz, I ain't one to shyt on people's looks, but Scarlett looks hideous in this shyt. :huhldup:

Baroness on the other hand :shaq:

I rather enjoyed the movie a lot, but I still totally agree with everything you stated. To use another franchise as an example, I believe that the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was so good is because they pulled more from the original Mirage comics. Yet they refuse to do so when it comes to G.I. Joe. It’s like they’re still trying to sell toys to kids, even though kids aren’t the ones buying toys. Even the guy from Retroblasting said that Hasbro needs to stop fukking around, and just make quality figures that adult collectors will buy. Because they’re the ones going to Target and buying everything. They should have made a solid rated R action movie in the vein of John Wick and the Raid. Or if they’re going to do a main G.I. Joe movie, then something along the lines of Amazon’s Jack Ryan. Because Larry Hama’s run was so good, and even his Cobra, and who’s in it and their motivations why, fits so well with our world today.

I’ll will watch anything they put out though just for Borroness:takedat:

Won Won

Superstar
Daps
It’s like they’re still trying to sell toys to kids, even though kids aren’t the ones buying toys. Even the guy from Retroblasting said that Hasbro needs to stop fukking around, and just make quality figures that adult collectors will buy. Because they’re the ones going to Target and buying everything.

6" G.I. Joe Classified figures are very popular, and coincidentally Target is home to a lot of exclusives from that line

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
6" G.I. Joe Classified figures are very popular, and coincidentally Target is home to a lot of exclusives from that line

They are popular, but it's mostly adults buying them though. I have Snake Eyes and Timber pre ordered. Not only that, Hasbro doesn't produce a lot for the of them for the stores in order to create a scarcity mindset or whatever. The main people who give a crap about G.I. Joe are adults. Most kids today would rather play Fortnite and spend their money on in game stuff.