Small example of why schools should’ve stayed segregated.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I get her frustration...bcuz of state tests she’s forced to teach them at grade level to prepare them for it, but the reality of that situation might be that those students aren’t on grade level so they’ll feel like they’ve failed for not passing the state test even tho they may have made vast improvements from were they were at the beginning of the school year

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
I disagree. We wouldn't know how far behind we were until we sat beside them learning at the same rate they were. Also, there weren't enough Black teachers initially. I'm going by my personal experience being bussed to an all-White school in the 70's in NJ.​

Things have changed drastically since then.​

Daps
I’ve worked in education... but I’m not opposed to testing though. There has to be some kind of standards...everyone else gets it... the chinaman, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Nigerian, Jamaican...

you got driver’s tests, act/sat, bar exams, medical exams, etc. I don’t think we should be opposed testing... there will be tests throughout your whole life. Wanna coding cert? Gotta test.

I think we should have high standards to give kids something to shoot for... it’ll build self confidence and discipline as well.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
I don’t think she makes good points. She should care how her students perform, not call them lazy. The job of an educator is to teach, inspire, grow and learn so that they are prepared for the world.
Reading levels and test scores matter. It’s not the end all be all but for the most part, those who cant read or perform tend to have a poorer life.
Nah if they lazy they need to hear that shyt. Yea reading levels and test scores matter presently. But there was a time when actually getting an education took precedence. Now they do more preparation for a state wide test

datnigDASTARDLY

catching pigeons
Daps
I don’t think she makes good points. She should care how her students perform, not call them lazy. The job of an educator is to teach, inspire, grow and learn so that they are prepared for the world.
Reading levels and test scores matter. It’s not the end all be all but for the most part, those who cant read or perform tend to have a poorer life.

She's being facetious and speaking to her audience.

Besides, it's a circular argument anyway...if your lazy you won't read and won't improve. The only way to improve, especially with reading and all the other fundamentals is repetition. And you can't do that if your lazy about it :yeshrug:

As far as I'm concerned, she's approaching it correctly as harsh as it may sound. Ever since I've had to homeschool mine I've realized sometimes they need a kick in the ass and a dose of reality. Nobody gives a fukk about a struggling black kid. They'll buss you down to remedial in a heartbeat.

DatNkkaCutty

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
@ PA
IDC bout her past. Raw...no regret. White picket fences. :takedat:

kY3bOlr.jpg

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
I'm not understanding what this has to do with segregated vs integrated schools

Cause we need our people teaching our kids.

People that know how to talk to our kids.

People that know first hand the real struggles they’re facing.

Not looking at them as just a number but humans with real potential if it’s tapped.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps

Besides, it's a circular argument anyway...if your lazy you won't read and won't improve. The only way to improve, especially with reading and all the other fundamentals is repetition. And you can't do that if your lazy about it :yeshrug:

As far as I'm concerned, she's approaching it correctly as harsh as it may sound. Ever since I've had to homeschool mine I've realized sometimes they need a kick in the ass and a dose of reality. Nobody gives a fukk about a struggling black kid. They'll buss you down to remedial in a heartbeat.

Facts.

MajesticLion

Veteran
Daps
Gotta love the teachers who give a crap.

In any case, the problem is above them and systemic. Admins fudging numbers to keep funding - and of course, their careers and livelihoods, which is ever their only real incentive - will always be to the detriment of actual education. Also, coddling children won't help them learn, which is another cultural issue that cannot be avoided.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Cause we need our people teaching our kids.

People that know how to talk to our kids.

People that know first hand the real struggles they’re facing.

Not looking at them as just a number but humans with real potential if it’s tapped.
But school segregation was about students not teachers. And a lot of districts are still in effect segregated regardless as the black (and brown depending on location) kids are in public vs white kids in private schools.

Daps
I've always said integration while it was a good cause it was highly misguided for the time. We literally thought the white man's water was wetter at the time

I see what you're saying. It's complex. I feel like most schools are still segregated. Mine were 95% black...I went to a college prep charter school with high standards and a low level of tolerance for foolishness. It's now one of the best schools in the city and has a long waitlist. For most...you have to enter from the kindergarten level and go into highschool

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
ThatTruth777 said:
Its not about being lazy, its motivation.

Nothing motivated me more than being 'better' than my 'White' classmates.​

I didn't have nearly as much money, but they couldn't touch me, academically, after 5th Grade.​