Should Tinashe retire? Her new album did 7K first week.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Bushed
Daps
The real issue is why did her debut album do so poorly?

2 On was a catchy ass song, and top 40 hit. It used to be on radio a lot. That should have catapulted her.

She low key should have had doja cat level popularity, sadly.

Doja Cat was created by Dr. Luke.

No way she wasn’t going to blow.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The nudes already leaked, the thread in JBO had posters disappointed :russ:

I can imagine,she definitely has lost weight over the years. Them titis ain't what they used to be:wow:

But she still sings,dances,produces her own music. She ain't in debt unlike these less fortunate singers who need dance lessons,cant make beats,mix or master:banderas:

7K is Tinashe pay day:myman:

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Inter scope was trying to make her pop when she was real a rnb artist

two much back and forth on her genre placement.
Then no promo

Her label didn't know how to market her, which is what ultimately led to her going independent. Also, she tried a bunch of different styles, but nothing really caught on. She could have been one of those artists that had hits but no core audience, but people weren't even interested in making her that.

Realistically speaking, a lot of artists from that era, especially 2014, aren't around anymore. A lot of hit songs that year were from people who nobody had heard from before. Also, I think the industry was transitioning so a lot of the artists who had hits got left behind quickly.

She's been off Interscope for a long time and she's still trying to be a pop star. You can't keep using that excuse.

she needs to give up those pop princess dreams and go full contemporary R&B, she excels in that lane idk why she doesnt just fully lean into that

I've accepted that she's never gonna lean into her strengths and always be chasing pop success. There'll be a few songs on each album and that's it. Everything else is gonna be pop or ratchet while she tries to chase Rihanna and Beyonce.

Maybe nobody close to her has ever been completely honest or given her a reality check. More than likely, she doesn't care and still wants to be Britney Spears. :yeshrug:

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHODEY/BIGBLUE/SNOWGANG/MIDNIGHTBOYZ
Who tf is she?

And before the coli says

"yOu BeEN liVINg UNdEr a rOCk!!!"

Obviously not, based on her sales lol, im not the only one wondering this

Who?
I just listened to that 2 On song they talking about in here. If that certified reggie is the best she can do, she’s lucky she got 7k. Generic as fukk

greatone

Pro
Supporter
Daps
2on was a gift and a curse. It was a hit but it alienated the small but loyal fanbase she built with her first 3 mixtapes, who were used to her making moody, atmospheric R&B. And pop music fans are fickle so once the industry moved on from that DJ Mustard sound she got left in the dust.

Her biggest problem has been her lack of a musical identity. Seems like she doesn't know if she wants to be FKA Twigs or Beyoncé

I still fukk with her first three mixtapes as well as Nightride, which I think did a good job of sticking to her OG sound while still sounding modern but she's just never gonna resonate with a mainstream audience. And she doesn't come across as authentic enough to connect with an underground audience either.

Agree with your entire post. I went back and listen to Nightride and forgot that I liked almost the entire album. That album was more like the Black Water and Amethyst sound which her core fans like. But she is running from that sound. What she need to do is go back to the producers who were on her mixtapes and was also her her 1st 2 albums. That can at least get her core fans back. I thought her record label was stopping her from working with them but noticed that she is independent which mean this is all on her.

I looked at the producers on her mixtapes and her first 2 albums and the producers with the best songs were Ritz Reynolds, !llmind, Boi-1da and Ryan Hemsworth. She doesn't even work with them anymore. I guess she is blaming them for her album sales. Ritz Reynold did some of her best songs (just the way i like you, aquarius, bated breath, lucid dreamings) so she probably need to have him EP her album. Even the producer dpat who did a good job on Nightride wasn't on her last 2 albums.

Leao2005

All Star
Supporter
Daps
She's been off Interscope for a long time and she's still trying to be a pop star. You can't keep using that excuse.

I've accepted that she's never gonna lean into her strengths and always be chasing pop success. There'll be a few songs on each album and that's it. Everything else is gonna be pop or ratchet while she tries to chase Rihanna and Beyonce.

Maybe nobody close to her has ever been completely honest or given her a reality check. More than likely, she doesn't care and still wants to be Britney Spears. :yeshrug:
once an artist goes independent with no buzz its a wrap. it is partially on interscope

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York

Yeah, but that guy was asking why she didn't initially catch on despite having a hit at the time. I also said she tried a bunch of different styles that didn't catch on. At this point in her career, if she's still trying to chase hits, that's on her. But this could also be the music that she wants to make, who knows?

She recently did an AMA on r/popheads so she still has an audience that wants to hear from her. Those people probably were the ones that bought the album. :pachaha: