Should a person making food at McDonalds be able to afford rent and groceries with their paycheck?

Contrefaire

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
West Coast
Fast food law passed in California this year makes it so fast food workers make $22/hour minimum.

$22 a hour. For any fast food workers. 16 year olds out here can work for $22/hour. They just dont want the jobs.

1) thats more than base pay at corporate jobs like verizon, banks, tmobile, at&t etc.

2) they still cant find workers.

Its not a hourly issue. Kids just lazy as fukk.

That's just a bold faced lie. I know teens who spent all last summer applying for jobs like crazy and didn't get a single interview. Only one (my friend's foster son) got a callback/interview which lasted all of five minutes once they realized he was a high schooler. And he's a smart, hardworking honor roll student who was very eager to start doing any kind of work.

Job sites like Indeed now show you how many other people applied for a single position and depending on the area it can be in the hundreds (if not THOUSANDS) meanwhile the listing stays up for weeks and after a month lo and behold they're still running with a skeleton crew with "NOW HIRING!" signs plastered all over the place. That nobody wants to work! shyt is a capitalist lie and that's doubly true for teenagers who tend to have hobbies and interests that cost more than what if any allowance they get.

Video games, sneakers, clothes, makeup, etc are all things teenagers are interested in and they don't come cheap but I'm meant to believe kids today are just sooo lazy that they'd rather sit at home with lots of free time and zero money??

Teenagers aren't too lazy to work, these companies just aren't actually hiring like that and/or don't want to hire minors because they can't work them like slaves due to child labor laws.

Umoja

Veteran
Daps
Of course they deserve to earn enough to meet the cost of living.

Some of you have the dikk of capitalism rammed so far down your throat that you cannot see the bigger picture. Living wage should be the bare minimum.

If the job requires particular skills, it should pay more than the cost of living. The world is so fukked up people are convinced that doing skilled work should earn people the right to just get by.

King

The black man is always targeted.
Daps
That's just a bold faced lie. I know teens who spent all last summer applying for jobs like crazy and didn't get a single interview. Only one (my friend's foster son) got a callback/interview which lasted all of five minutes once they realized he was a high schooler. And he's a smart, hardworking honor roll student who was very eager to start doing any kind of work.

Job sites like Indeed now show you how many other people applied for a single position and depending on the area it can be in the hundreds (if not THOUSANDS) meanwhile the listing stays up for weeks and after a month lo and behold they're still running with a skeleton crew with "NOW HIRING!" signs plastered all over the place. That nobody wants to work! shyt is a capitalist lie and that's doubly true for teenagers who tend to have hobbies and interests that cost more than what if any allowance they get.

Video games, sneakers, clothes, makeup, etc are all things teenagers are interested in and they don't come cheap but I'm meant to believe kids today are just sooo lazy that they'd rather sit at home with lots of free time and zero money??

Teenagers aren't too lazy to work, these companies just aren't actually hiring like that and/or don't want to hire minors because they can't work them like slaves due to child labor laws.
Same thing for people in my position with college degrees.

I’ve been shut out of the labor market as a result of graduating during the pandemic.

Contrefaire

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
West Coast
Obviously this will never happen but in an ideal world I would love for a copy of FDR's original comments when passing the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 to be posted any and EVERYWHERE labor occurs like the fukking Constitution because way too many ignorant goofies and bootlickers love to play like minimum wage was always meant to be a "stepping stone" when the original author of the Act himself made his views on the matter extremely clear.

In my Inaugural I laid down the simple proposition that nobody is going to starve in this country. It seems to me to be equally plain that no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country. By "business" I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level-I mean the wages of decent living.

The man couldn't have been any more unambiguous yet people today will still double down and try to claim "No no, he didn't mean burger flippers and FRY COOKS tho!!!" Wild how 90yrs ago it was easily understood that if a person worked they deserved basic essentials and necessities like housing and food but today that concept is apparently highly debatable.

Contrefaire

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
West Coast
Same thing for people in my position with college degrees.

I’ve been shut out of the labor market as a result of graduating during the pandemic.

I'm a child of The Great Recession and this is exactly what happened with myself and my peers over a decade ago only worse (in some respects) because back in those days we (allegedly) had a huge surplus of doctors and lawyers (etc) so wages for students graduating with some of the most expensive advanced degrees were low (and have somehow remained lower than average) and many graduates went unemployed/were forced to take lesser positions while those massive student loan repayments continued to roll in.

We're actually still seeing the effects of that recession to this day since much of my cohort has only in recent years been able to get on their feet and even then just barely so.

Yet the layman's solution to poverty continues to be "get more education" as if we haven't already been here before. It's sick.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
What these fukking stupid people don’t realize is if employees don’t get paid a living wage by McDonalds then the government subsidizes that wage with food stamps, housing vouchers, tax refunds, etc…..and where does that money come from? YOU!!!!

Why should you feel comfortable subsidizing the wages of McDonalds, Walmart, etc……. Either they pay a living wage as the minimum wage was originally intended or they don’t exist as a business.

Also how can a job exist primarily for high schoolers when the business is open during school hours? :jbhmm:

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Should and actually able to are two different things. You have more control over what you’re actually able to do than what “should” be. Focus on what you can control.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
In this rich ass country..of course they should. We got pretty bytches taking pictures on insta living in high end condos..lol

Raw Lyrics

Sunset Park
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
The whole tirade of "skilled" and "unskilled" workers is a way to divide up the working class
A plumber is infinitely more important than a burger flipper at McDonalds.

Not saying a burger flipped isn’t worthy of his/her humanity. But we divide things according to its importance, everyday.

Raw Lyrics

Sunset Park
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
People was sick when the pandemic happened and the food stores was closed for a while.. they went from crying about them getting a raise than calling them essential workers ect...

Fast food workers are the most important people in society you fukking right they deserve everything plus more.. let every fast food worker call off 2morrow and see how the entire world get to bytching.

Fast food workers are not the most important people in society. FOH. If fast food workers ceased to exist, I’d be perfectly fine.

Plumbers, firemen, electricians, doctors, etc., are waaaaaaay more important.

If all the politicians ceased to exist it’d take weeks before it would have a direct effect on your life. If all sanitation workers ceased to exist you’d notice after your first missed garbage pick up.

Last edited: