Shonda Rhimes On Her :mjpls: Again

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Yep race never gets brought up on those shows and if it does it is some shyt about how black folks have issue on interracial relationships. Yet white folks been the ones bytching about it since black folks got off slave ships on that one way trip from Africa.

I don't watch Scandal, but from what my friends tell me they are always bringing up race, the whole Thomas Jefferson/slave comparison and it what it means for the protagonist to be having this affair with a powerful white man, and apparently lately they've been talking about Ferguson and cops. I don't think this is an all or nothing deal, but your critique of IR on TV is definitely valid and I side with your view more than people who wish to ignore it.

There's this great write up by this one brother that describes the mental state of why Black women love Scandal and subsequently why Shonda Rhimes tries to present a dream like scenario for Black women to live out these dreams vicariously through shows like these:

Why Do Black Women Love Scandal?.

I honestly don't think it's that deep. You have a black woman writing about a black woman playing the protagonist in a late night soap drama. Of course sistas will watch it. They also watch Love & Hip Hop (which features all black relationships), and they watched Girlfriends and Martin in droves. Nobody was writing articles about that. :heh:

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
It's not much that Scandal is based around a Black woman/White man relationship but what disturbs me is her love interest is a DOG and I'm sure she's curved qualified Black men order to be the cum rag (excuse the nomenclature but that's what a side piece basically is) of this honkey. This is what Black women aspire to be, is it so much better to be under the foot of a man just because he is white. Does his privilege rub off on you or something?

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
It's not much that Scandal is based around a Black woman/White man relationship but what disturbs me is her love interest is a DOG and I'm sure she's curved qualified Black men order to be the cum rag (excuse the nomenclature but that's what a side piece basically is) of this honkey. This is what Black women aspire to be, is it so much better to be under the foot of a man just because he is white. Does his privilege rub off on you or something?

Well I can't speak for all black woman, of course, but at least amongst my friend circle, Olivia Pope is viewed as a tragic figure, not someone to emulate. All I see connected to commentary on the show are hashtags like #poorlifechoices, #loveyourself, #dikkmatized. But on the other hand, I have seen articles about people trying to dress like her. So maybe they like her style? I dunno. I really hope no one is aspiring to be a side-piece, but I definitely wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.

ezrathegreat

Veteran
Daps
The number one TV show watched by black women is scandal , says a lot about black women's so called "loyalty" :mjpls:

flo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Scandal is about Olivia and her job as a fixer. It's a political procedural but the way people act in here you'd think it was some interracial romance.

The number one TV show watched by black women is scandal , says a lot about black women's so called "loyalty" :mjpls:
Pretty sure it's Empire now but alas.
Watching or liking Scandal does not mean you're somehow interested in Interracial relationships because there is one in the show. It's entertainment.

ezrathegreat

Veteran
Daps
Scandal is about Olivia and her job as a fixer. It's a political procedural but the way people act in here you'd think it was some interracial romance

:comeon:Yeah,because that's why it's the most watched T.V show by black women in the U.S., the fact the show ended their relationship and lost black female viewers says it all.:jawalrus: But keep deflecting if you must........

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Don't know why people have an issue with black female white male leads when black male other female leads have been ubiquitous and commonplace....in fact that whole dynamic IRL and this board's response to it is :russell:
That's not really true though is it... I can't think of any shows with a black male lead dating or married to a white female lead...

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
Don't know why people have an issue with black female white male leads when black male other female leads have been ubiquitous and commonplace....in fact that whole dynamic IRL and this board's response to it is :russell:

You "don't know why people have an issue with" interracial relationships on TV?

Really?

And I don't know how "ubiquitous" it is for black male/other female leads - especially on Network TV...

flo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:comeon:Yeah,because that's why it's the most watched T.V show by black women in the U.S., the fact the show ended their relationship and lost black female viewers says it all.:jawalrus: But keep deflecting if you must........
Scandal been losing its viewership.

Empire is now the most watched television show. No white male relationship there.

jwonder

Banned
Daps
Reppin
DADE County
Yup. You even have c00n Shonda helping with killing the black man image. The protocol now is to completely erase that alpha black male. This is why a good portion of black men now on TV are borderline women or playing submissive roles. Must be a "safe negro" in today's media.

deacon 12

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
ohio
So do you think Scandal would be as popular as it is if the president was black and Olivia Pope was white?
If youre implying it would it would have to be green lighted first and shyt ain't happening homie but if it did I don't think it would even be close to as popular let's be honest most shows that are considered guilty pleasures are fueled by viewers that live vicariously through the show and I would think a show based on the ideal black man for lack of better words smutting out the most powerful white woman in the world would be that and most black and white people especially black men know alot of white women fear of anyone knowing that ethier they lust after black men or god forbid slept with us so watching this imagery show would be a no no that equals shytty ratings damn I kinda miss soul food that black love that black struggle and nikka them women jesus