Shogun (FX/Hulu) - February 2024 :ohhh:

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
Is this a white savior show? If so I’m good, idgaf what the reviews say.

So @Starman said it's based on James Cavell's fictional book, so I'm not 100% sure. However I can say that the historical events do not lend to a happy ending for the Europeans.

If you want a spoiler: Japan–Portugal relations - Wikipedia

In school, you learn about Japan briefly through Commander Perry. However, you never learn that one of the places America dropped the A bomb was ground zero for Europeans infesting Japan centuries before.
So after watching the first 2 episodes and seeing the previews for the later episode's, it does look like we're getting backdoored into a white savior plot.

My suspicion was first peeked with the storm scene. There's simply no reason the Japanese would allow a European pilot to navigate a Japanese ship in Japanese waters. The chill viewer isn't going to care, but I fully understand how that scene feeds into the belief that only Europeans knew how to navigate the seas. It's why you're not taught that European explorers had native, African, and Islamic navigators on their ships.

Why wouldn't the Japanese know how to predict that a storm was coming? Why would the Japanese need to be told how to handle steering in a storm? Why wouldn't the Japanese have their own pilot?

Small details like that are overlooked as plot devices but this is how you smuggle ideas of European superiority.

Arianne Martell

"Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken"
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
House Martell #SnakeGang #Targset
So after watching the first 2 episodes and seeing the previews for the later episode's, it does look like we're getting backdoored into a white savior plot.

My suspicion was first peeked with the storm scene. There's simply no reason the Japanese would allow a European pilot to navigate a Japanese ship in Japanese waters. The chill viewer isn't going to care, but I fully understand how that scene feeds into the belief that only Europeans knew how to navigate the seas. It's why you're not taught that European explorers had native, African, and Islamic navigators on their ships.

Why wouldn't the Japanese know how to predict that a storm was coming? Why would the Japanese need to be told how to handle steering in a storm? Why wouldn't the Japanese have their own pilot?

Small details like that are overlooked as plot devices but this is how you smuggle ideas of European superiority.

yeah that had me LOL

the Japanese were people that literally left their ancestors by boat, lived on an island, and fishing is one their main source of food...yet...they need foreign pilots to navigate their own waters and command them to row?? :mjlol: :camby:

if they Japanese don't have an issue with this story :manny:

I'm just here to enjoy this 🔥

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
Also if you've watched Kingdom (please do!), this show takes place right afterwards.

Kingdom: Set in the 16th century and three years after the end of the Imjin War. Imjin ends 1598, so 1601.

John says he's a subject of the Queen. That can only be Queen Elizabeth I. She dies 1603.

Taiko and Toranaga mention a failed Korean invasion. This had to be a reference to Imjin.

IS08

Pro
Daps
Incredible show. I'll even say episode 1 was the best episode of any series I've ever seen.

LinusCaldwell

From The Eastside with Love
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
This show is dope. I wonder why they speak Japanese but they didn’t let them speak Portuguese too.