Shogun (FX/Hulu) - February 2024 :ohhh:

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
Yes - that’s the context in the story.

We’re hearing English but contextually - it is to be understood that they’re communicating in Portuguese

Which part didn’t you get?
Yea I guess they would have had multiple different languages being spoken with my prior post but that’s an odd twist for the show

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Cause I can speak a bit of Portuguese and I'm expecting to hear some God damn Portuguese! :heh:

It's not a flaw. I'm just being nitpicky. But it would actually show how cunning the Portuguese would have to be to speak Castilian, Portuguese, English, and Japanese to exist in this world. They're kind of getting written off as side characters to the Englishman, but they actually are a focal point of global trade at this point in history. If you're Portuguese in Africa at this time you have to communicate with people from senegambia down to Angola around to Mozambique. If you're Portuguese in Brazil, you have to speak with the indigenous and Dutch. If you're in Macao, Gochin, etc. They’re not just Bible thumping Jesuits or side kicks.
portuguese is very offputting to the untrained ear, even though this show is half in japanese. they did it for the casuals. just like chernobyl being in english.

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Saw the first episode 🔥🔥

Haven't watched a network show live in a good while. The amount of commercial breaks was :why: Also the speaking Portuguese(English) thing has to be for the viewers because no way they would confuse the two languages back then or ever. I guess nobody wanted a show that's 100% subtitles

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
:wow:

Just off the first two episodes I already feel like this is the strongest show out of Tokyo Vice and House Of Ninjas. Had my attention 100%.

Been missing this kind of intrigue. Japanese Ashur Yabushige is already my favorite :dead:

@Neo The Resurrected ONE you watching this?

@hex This deserves a sticky :myman:
Needed this after Westworld practically dikkteased this shyt in the second season. :ohlawd: