Shogun (FX/Hulu) - February 2024 :ohhh:

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
these two groups of humans believe that they are the superior race wtf cares if the show is a white savior theme... :mjlol:
Race is a European concept that at this time has a tentative hold in the Atlantic and no bearing in the east.

Notice the English man identifies himself as protestant first, and allied with the Dutch second.

The Portuguese priest is catholic first, Portuguese second

The "spaniard" (Spain is a national invention of the mid 1800s) identifies himself as a "spaniard" allied with the Portuguese. This is both wrong because he would've identified himself as a subject of the crown and by his kingdom.

In other words there is no race in this setting. Whiteness is being constructed because european boundaries are still being formed, it has not been established yet.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Is this a white savior show? If so I’m good, idgaf what the reviews say.
So @Starman said it's based on James Cavell's fictional book, so I'm not 100% sure. However I can say that the historical events do not lend to a happy ending for the Europeans.

If you want a spoiler: Japan–Portugal relations - Wikipedia

In school, you learn about Japan briefly through Commander Perry. However, you never learn that one of the places America dropped the A bomb was ground zero for Europeans infesting Japan centuries before.

Uchiha God

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The shyt throwing me off is that the "Portuguese" they're speaking is English

Why would this throw you off? It’s a staple of fiction/story telling. We’re hearing English but contextually - it is to be understood that they’re communicating in Portuguese

It’s not different than when you see “universal translators” in science fiction for example. as the audience we hear English, but in the context of the story they’re communicating in whatever language the aliens speak

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
Why would this throw you off? It’s a staple of fiction/story telling. We’re hearing English but contextually - it is to be understood that they’re communicating in Portuguese

It’s not different than when you see “universal translators” in science fiction for example. as the audience we hear English, but in the context of the story they’re communicating in whatever language the aliens speak

Nah the Japanese only know of Portugal from Europe…even the Spanish pilot is Portuguese to them

Uchiha God

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah the Japanese only know of Portugal from Europe…even the Spanish pilot is Portuguese to them

Yes - that’s the context in the story.

We’re hearing English but contextually - it is to be understood that they’re communicating in Portuguese

Which part didn’t you get?

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

Cause I can speak a bit of Portuguese and I'm expecting to hear some God damn Portuguese! :heh:

It's not a flaw. I'm just being nitpicky. But it would actually show how cunning the Portuguese would have to be to speak Castilian, Portuguese, English, and Japanese to exist in this world. They're kind of getting written off as side characters to the Englishman, but they actually are a focal point of global trade at this point in history. If you're Portuguese in Africa at this time you have to communicate with people from senegambia down to Angola around to Mozambique. If you're Portuguese in Brazil, you have to speak with the indigenous and Dutch. If you're in Macao, Gochin, etc. They’re not just Bible thumping Jesuits or side kicks.

Uchiha God

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Cause I can speak a bit of Portuguese and I'm expecting to hear some God damn Portuguese! :heh:

It's not a flaw. I'm just being nitpicky. But it would actually show how cunning the Portuguese would have to be to speak Castilian, Portuguese, English, and Japanese to exist in this world. They're kind of getting written off as side characters to the Englishman, but they actually are a focal point of global trade at this point in history. If you're Portuguese in Africa at this time you have to communicate with people from senegambia down to Angola around to Mozambique. If you're Portuguese in Brazil, you have to speak with the indigenous and Dutch. If you're in Macao, Gochin, etc. They’re not just Bible thumping Jesuits or side kicks.

I hear you - but the show is based on a fictional book. It will trade historical accuracy, notes and build-up for entertainment purposes. I’ll say they’ve already established the Portuguese as more than bible thumping missionaries though, even if subtly.

Daps
:wow:

Just off the first two episodes I already feel like this is the strongest show out of Tokyo Vice and House Of Ninjas. Had my attention 100%.

Been missing this kind of intrigue. Japanese Ashur Yabushige is already my favorite :dead:

@Neo The Resurrected ONE you watching this?

@hex This deserves a sticky :myman:

Not yet but if you giving it the stamp of approval, I'm in :whoo: