Shingeki no Kyojin: Attack on Titan

Chronic

All Star
Daps
Japanese Militarism in Shingeki no Kyojin
This is just something I noticed recently :patrice:
  • Eldian and Japanese both have a mythical female founder, Ymir Fritz and Queen Himiko.
  • The manga glorify patriotism and sacrifice while condemning pacifism (First King's Ideology)
  • Japanese ultranationalists have been advocating to overthrow the civilian rule and restoring power to the Emperor while being guided by a 'righteous' military rule. The same thing happened in Uprising arc.
  • Japanese Emperor was venerated as divine person, just like Eldian kings have 'divine' power over Eldians.
  • The Garrison and Military Police are portrayed as inexperienced and incompetent, the same view japanese ultranationalists hold toward JSDF.
  • Japanese ultranationalists believed that Japan is being punished for their crimes during WW2 just like Eldians are being punished for the crimes of their ancestors.
  • Marley could be an Amalgam of both China and United States.
  • Colossal titan represent atomic bomb.
    images
  • Survey Corps suicidal charge represent Banzai charge/Kamikaze attack.
    m011.jpg
  • 'Path' that connect all Eldians sound similar to the concept of Taoism.

Last edited:

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Japanese Militarism in Shingeki no Kyojin
This is just something I noticed recently :patrice:
  • Eldian and Japanese both have a mythical female founder, Ymir Fritz and Queen Himiko.
  • The manga glorify patriotism and sacrifice while lamenting pacifism (First King's Ideology)
  • Japanese ultranationalists have been advocating to overthrow the civilian rule and restoring power to the Emperor while being guided by a 'righteous' military rule. The same thing happened in Uprising arc.
  • Japanese Emperor was venerated as divine person, just like Eldian kings have 'divine' power over Eldians.
  • The Garrison and Military Police are portrayed as inexperienced and incompetent, the same view japanese ultranationalists hold toward JSDF.
  • Marley could be an Amalgam of both China and United States.
  • Colossal titan represent atomic bomb.
    images
  • Survey Corps suicidal charge represent Banzai charge/Kamikaze attack.
    m011.jpg
  • 'Path' that connect all Eldians sound similar to the concept of Taoism.
  • What if Zackley treatment of Nobles represent Isayama view toward corrupt politicians and Diet members.

:ohhh:

You see a lotta that og Japanese nationalism if you watch and read enough anime/manga.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
its not even japanese nationalism. its just plain old all over the fukking world's history nationalism

and everything is better with a mushroom cloud lol

this writer can't even tell a story in a straight line. i'm not giving him credit for piecing together a montage of eastern history

Arris

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
armin is dead :mjcry: hopefully he's barely hanging on and can get injected with the serum so he can eat either bertholdt or reiner. but knowing this series he's probably gone.

reiner has cheated death so many times I seriously want them to kill him in the worst way possible:pacspit:. humans cant catch a break with all these deaths and the enemy titans constantly get away:pacspit::pacspit:

this a$$hole reiner got away again:what:

:pacspit::pacspit::pacspit:

eren and mikasa bout to do a hostile takeover with that serum:mjpls:

naw but erwin is probably gonna regain conciousness and tell levi to give it to armin

sidenote: anyone else put off by that bipedal titan the beast shifter is riding. I just want them to kill it:huhldup:

gotta give the author credit for developing reiner and giving meaning to him still being alive. It's no longer:pacspit: on sight for him (subject to change:mjpls:). he's a soldier who has been gone on a long campaign who lived outside the frame of constant propaganda and has come back home tired of it all.[\SPOILER]

Last edited:

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
gotta give the author credit for developing reiner and giving meaning to him still being alive. It's no longer:pacspit: on sight for him (subject to change:mjpls:). he's a soldier who has been gone on a long campaign who lived outside the frame of constant propaganda and has come back home tired of it all.

You might want to Spiller tag that but anyway...

I loved how he told the story of the "demons" on the island being regular people and having everyone :dwillhuh::dahell::wtf:

I never thought he'd be a sympathetic figure.

Chronic

All Star
Daps
Feel for Reiner :wow:
There's theory that Magath might be Reiner's Marleyan father. He seems to be the most symphathetic Marleyan so far and shown concern about Eldians. He's also the one responsible for training and eventually choosing which warrior candidates will become shifter, so he might be the one who recommended Reiner over Galliard despite his lower score.

Last edited:

Crayola Coyote

Superstar
Daps
I'm so confused wtf is going on. Erin meets his dad in the past? Levi, Armin and Eren are on a island and the armor Titan is from another island that wants to eradicate the city Levi and Erin are from? Wtf help me out here:why:

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
gotta give the author credit for developing reiner and giving meaning to him still being alive. It's no longer:pacspit: on sight for him (subject to change:mjpls:). he's a soldier who has been gone on a long campaign who lived outside the frame of constant propaganda and has come back home tired of it all.[\SPOILER]
:pacspit: Armin and:pacspit: the coli for riding with his bytch ass. this past episode reminded how much a real nikka Erwin was.
tumblr_orc7u8WLsj1qa3yd1o1_500.gif

tumblr_orc87elbwp1w9du0ko2_500.gif

:banderas::banderas:
tumblr_orccbkZGt81sxfvy5o1_500.gif

:to:why they have to do my nikka like that. he just wanted to prove pops right.

Last edited:

bordeaux

xxx
Daps
Reppin
God's Plan
tell me this wasnt the last eps this season. there was no, "next week..."

some wks its like, the char. around him r interesting but i find erin pretty meh as a protagonist. but i was proud of breh after this eps.