Shin Megami Tensei V announced for Nintendo Switch (Atlus JRPG)

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Are we ready to admit this game was mid?

Story was trash, world was mid, battle system was mid, dungeons were damn near non existent, endings were trash.

Game was nowhere near as polished as persona 5 and compared to smt 3 and 4 the shyt was a huge let down.

Skyjacker

All Star
Daps

Story was trash, world was mid, battle system was mid, dungeons were damn near non existent, endings were trash.

Game was nowhere near as polished as persona 5 and compared to smt 3 and 4 the shyt was a huge let down.
Not really! I was letdown by the story, an ending or 2 and some of the characters that's it. I really enjoyed the combat, exploration and the scenery. I prefer open world over dungeon crawling so the lack of dungeons doesn't bug me.

There's nothing more forced than SMT and Persona comparisons.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Not really! I was letdown by the story, an ending or 2 and some of the characters that's it. I really enjoyed the combat, exploration and the scenery. I prefer open world over dungeon crawling so the lack of dungeons doesn't bug me.
The battle system had nowhere near as much strategy involved as the past smt games. Boss fights have level checks where it's nearly impossible to win if you're even slightly below the required level but becomes extremely easy once you've reached the right level. There was no real need to combine demons for stronger demons because the game allows you to make any demon you want extremely powerful, I beat the last boss with high pixie on my team.

Exploration was basically running around the same dull environments looking for mimen, most of which were hidden in the laziest way possible. All 4 areas looked the same and got old by the time you finished the second area, and the side quest were trash.

You've already admitted that the endings and story were trash so I won't even speak too much about them. I'll just say that for a series that usually have thought provoking reasons for why you should choose between the law, neutral, and chaos paths, this game basically forces you down the lawful path then literally allows you to pick your own ending despite choices made during the game.
There's nothing more forced than SMT and Persona comparisons.
I didn't compare SMT V to persona, I just said persona 5 was more polished. I compared it to smt 3 and 4, and the game doesn't hold up at all in that comparison.

They said they rewrote this game many times, and its pretty obvious.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
@5n0man did you play on normal or hard?

Can’t speak on normal, but hard pretty much every main boss I had to adjust my lineup. I thought gameplay delivered personally. The non DLC superboss was a tough but great challenge imo.

Characters was a big drop from nocturne. Story was def a miss.

Gameplay was strong enough for me that it was worth it. Not great but personally found it in the solid to good range depending how much gameplay driven jrpgs suits you.

Outside of NieR Replicant and Kuro no Kiseki I’d honestly put it above any other Jrpg from that year. Those 2 being a remake and an unlocalized game.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
@5n0man did you play on normal or hard?

Can’t speak on normal, but hard pretty much every main boss I had to adjust my lineup. I thought gameplay delivered personally. The non DLC superboss was a tough but great challenge imo.

Characters was a big drop from nocturne. Story was def a miss.

Gameplay was strong enough for me that it was worth it. Not great but personally found it in the solid to good range depending how much gameplay driven jrpgs suits you.

Outside of NieR Replicant and Kuro no Kiseki I’d honestly put it above any other Jrpg from that year. Those 2 being a remake and an unlocalized game.
I beat it on hard.

Seemed like most of the difficulty came from level restrictions. You can test it out yourself, be at a lower level and the game won't allow you to do big damage in battles regardless of the strategy you use or the stats you have. Doesn't matter how high your strength and magic stats are, you simply cant do real damage if you're underleveled. Reach the correct level and fights become drastically different.

This became obvious to me when you reach the final area and the recommended level jumps from 50 to 70, and you're forced to grind for awhile just to make the battles feel normal.

But outside of the battle system, the fact that that every environment on the game looks exactly the same was a huge letdown, and exploration seemed forced since all you're doing is hunting down mimen and doing simple fetch quest.

Skyjacker

All Star
Daps
The battle system had nowhere near as much strategy involved as the past smt games. Boss fights have level checks where it's nearly impossible to win if you're even slightly below the required level but becomes extremely easy once you've reached the right level. There was no real need to combine demons for stronger demons because the game allows you to make any demon you want extremely powerful, I beat the last boss with high pixie on my team.

Exploration was basically running around the same dull environments looking for mimen, most of which were hidden in the laziest way possible. All 4 areas looked the same and got old by the time you finished the second area, and the side quest were trash.

You've already admitted that the endings and story were trash so I won't even speak too much about them. I'll just say that for a series that usually have thought provoking reasons for why you should choose between the law, neutral, and chaos paths, this game basically forces you down the lawful path then literally allows you to pick your own ending despite choices made during the game.

I didn't compare SMT V to persona, I just said persona 5 was more polished. I compared it to smt 3 and 4, and the game doesn't hold up at all in that comparison.

They said they rewrote this game many times, and its pretty obvious
Beating bosses on a lower level than you is doable, but requires strategy. The game can be unforgiving in that way. I do wish it was more unforgiving on you if you're overlevelled. I never whine about grinding because it has been a staple of rpg's since the nes days. I've always thought of grinding as training.

There's much more to exploration than that and I wouldn't call them dull. I've always enjoyed side quests and in this game is no exception.

The story doesn't live up to what could have been, but it's not awful. The only ending I hated so far was the Law ending. It seems clear that Dazai doesn't believe in free will and the ending has follow or die implications. The first ending I picked was the chaos ending.

Not directly, but you did force this made up rivalry despite both SMT and Persona being made by the same company, likely just with different teams. By the end of SMT 3. I ended up hating every single character in the game. I at least liked some characters in SMT V.

bigdaddy88

The King Of Power
Daps

I agree with everything u stated and that's why I haven't beaten the game...I know that is not persona and I was not expecting that.but the story is so dull, am sorry but a jrpg with a dull story is like a shooter with bad shooting mechanics nah son....

Battle system is sooo basic,the world's are empty and they love to randomly spike the difficulty smh...cryptic story messages and using lingo without explaining what they mean is a nono..even boring philosophers tell ya the meaning of phrases and words they use before they start the lecture so I won't be to lost lol

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
I agree with everything u stated and that's why I haven't beaten the game...I know that is not persona and I was not expecting that.but the story is so dull, am sorry but a jrpg with a dull story is like a shooter with bad shooting mechanics nah son....

Battle system is sooo basic,the world's are empty and they love to randomly spike the difficulty smh...cryptic story messages and using lingo without explaining what they mean is a nono..even boring philosophers tell ya the meaning of phrases and words they use before they start the lecture so I won't be to lost lol
To me the shyt was even more of a let down because I had just finished smt 3 right before playing it, and I also played smt 4 years ago. It was such a stark decrease in quality compared to those games.

Smt 5 just felt like they didn't know what direction they wanted to go in so they just slapped some bullshyt together because the shyt was already in development for like 6 years with multiple rewrites.

Champion

#RxLife #UCF #FAMU
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town to Tampa

Put that bottle down.

Un-AmericanDreamer

Simp City
Daps
I lost my switch. I just fused an overpowered Odin ( 150-ish strength and other stats) and was just about to re-fuse an equally overpowered Idunn. Shva was gonna get that work. I was max level and fine tuning my build for post game. I had a ridiculous MC build, I damn near one-shotted Odin when I fought him.