Shaq to Kobe: "Because I had you, I was able to chill out every summer"

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
Lakers fans idolize Kobe and rightfully so, because he did a lot for that franchise.
But they don't idolize and celebrate Shaq nearly enough. Lazy or not, he was dominant and his choice to sign with LA in 96 changed everything.

This board is overflowing with Kobe stans. There probably isnt a single Shaq stan.

@R=G

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
Except he didn’t stick with them. He demanded a trade and the only reason it didn’t happen is because his management and the Bulls could not agree. Not because Kobe had a sudden change of heart.

I mean, I’ve addressed your reply like 8 times in this thread. Without Shaq there almost certainly is no Phil in LA, almost certainly no titles, and who even knows if Kobe develops his raw athleticism into the star he became.

Yet again...it baffles me how Lakers fans cannot see and appreciate this. Maybe you all came of age in 2006 and you think Shaq was a mere footnote. That somehow Kobe made the Diesel great in the ashes of those glorious Nick Van Exel and Anthony Peeler years.
Your whole argument is based on hypotheticals, you don't know what Phil would have done or any of that other shyt.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Actually this is true. Technically.

Though it makes absolutely no difference as far as the impact Shaq had in changing the landscape of the western conference, the doors it opened for Lakers players to operate on the floor, getting Phil Jackson, and Kobe’s overall development.

On 3 teams with 3 supremely talented athletes (Hardaway, Bryant, and Wade), it was Shaq’s dominance that allowed them to flourish. And without Shaq, each of them went on to rather modest personal achievements while wearing themselves out trying to fill Shaq’s void. Hardaway never did become as successful without him. And both Bryant and Wade would have followed suit had they not been given Gasol, James and Bosh.

The Big Diesel’s impact cannot be overstated.
That people merely “like” Kobe or the aesthetics of his game will never change that.
"Impact" in Shaq's case is often overstated. Especially when it comes to the guards he played with. How much credit you wanna give Shaq, Gasol, LBJ or Bosh for Wade and Kobe's success really depends on which side of the line you fall on and your own personal bias. Wade getting bounced out of the first round had just as much more to do with Spo being a 1st year head coach and those heat teams being Horrible, than it did with Shaq leaving. Especially considering Wade's game reached new heights even without having Shaq in the paint drawing doubles teams. It's weird how folks do Wade and Kobe. It's like all their career achievements get reduced to being "gifted" X big man or X player. LeBron, Gasol, Bosh, nor Shaq weren't winning titles without Hall Of Fame level players either. I'll give you LBJ, because at least he won FMVP in all of the heat titles. And by year 2, it was clear that he was the alpha and best player in the league. Put we're not gonna ever forget 2011 where there was a level of uncertainty that lbj was the alpha. If we're going by your foundation logic, I could argue that Wade convincing LBJ to join Miami and Wade taking a step back from the alpha role so LeBron could ascend, was the foundation to LeBron's career ascension as a whole. Spo convincing LeBron to play in the post more after getting psyched out by Dallas Zone defense in 2011 was the foundation of LeBron's growth as a scorer.

:hubie:

We can play this game all day.

Last edited:

Jesus Is Lord

Give Thanks, Repent, and Forgive
Daps
Reppin
Christ
It really hurts Kobe fans that he wasn't the best player on the team during the first 3 rings and that LeGOAT was always the best player on his team by far.
It really doesn't hurt though. Most Kobe fans are Lakers fans first. Now, Kobe stans are different. Also Lebron wasn't better than Wade by FAR at all.

Last edited:

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
Lakers fans idolize Kobe and rightfully so, because he did a lot for that franchise.
But they don't idolize and celebrate Shaq nearly enough. Lazy or not, he was dominant and his choice to sign with LA in 96 changed everything.

This board is overflowing with Kobe stans. There probably isnt a single Shaq stan.
In what universe do Lakers fans not idolize Shaq:what:

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Not really. Shaq would show up to camp out of shape after Kobe spent all summer and fall in the gym and then play his way into shape. Then the playoffs roll around and he seemingly effortlessly crushes basically everything in his path. It worked for him but it sets a bad precedent and as a competitor it has to get under your skin if your teammate dominates like that without taking great care of himself while you’re working around the clock. I’d have been mad if I were Kobe too.
That's jealousy though.

DrexlersFade

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Kobe Stan's in here getting :bustback:

Shaq was fat and lazy and was still the better player for the first three peat:mjlol:

nikka said I didn't have to train for Duncan but it was Kobe only for burned the Spurs. Must be nice too never ever be doubled:russ:

Antonio Daniels:stopitslime:

D. Anderson :stopitslime:

M. Ellie:russ:

Western Conference 2 guards were dogshyt they was all out east:stopitslime:

Kobe Stan's wanted one way well y'all know the rest :shaq2:

Patrick Kane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Say what you want about his laziness, but I watched those 4 final trips for the Lakers and Shaq balled his ass off in every single one of those finals.

It's just unbelievable that he worked his way into shape throughout the season and come playoff time he just dominated the game more than anyone we have ever seen. You just couldn't fukk with Shaq in the post, shyt was damn near guaranteed buckets and rebounds and he was a good defender too (shot blocker anyway). It's too bad he was so damn fat and lazy most of the time but he was putting up 30 and 15 in his sleep during those championship runs:damn:

GilSho

Veteran
Daps
Kobe stans are pathetic. Imagine hating on a man that brought 3 Championships & was a 3-time MVP. :picard:

Who cares how lazy he was? He dominated in the postseason every year. Rings are all that matter right?

CP3 is an ultra-competitor, lives in the gym & gets shyt on by this entire forum because he hasn't won yet.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
It really hurts Kobe fans that he wasn't the best player on the team during the first 3 rings and that LeGOAT was always the best player on his team by far.
2011 was debatable. I'm not gonna continue to allow folks to act like 2011 didn't happen.

:ufdup:

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
What i don’t get is even with shaq being lazy, he still would have been the best player with anyone in NBA history except :mjgrin: and maybe Wilt

So that’s not a real diss to Kobe