Shaq to Kobe: "Because I had you, I was able to chill out every summer"

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Wait Kobe worked harder going against shytty guards while Shaq was matched up with DUncan, Robinson, Sheed, KG....... :dahell:
I'm talking about practicing harder. He put more effort in improving his talents. Training, going to the gym, watching film, watching his eating, etc...Shaq just showed up and was the most dominate player, without any effort.

75 Others

Stop it Skeeeyyyuuup
Daps
I'm talking about practicing harder. He put more effort in improving his talents. Training, going to the gym, watching film, watching his eating, etc...Shaq just showed up and was the most dominate player, without any effort.

Fair enough :ehh:

It really hurts Kobe fans that he wasn't the best player on the team during the first 3 rings and that LeGOAT was always the best player on his team by far.

We do realize it's only with Kobe that another man gets scoring title, League MVP, 3 FMVPs yet Kobe still the best player :mjlol:

Reece

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
It really hurts Kobe fans that he wasn't the best player on the team during the first 3 rings and that LeGOAT was always the best player on his team by far.

More like LeBron Stans are insecure about LeBron’s losing record and try to put Kobe & Shaq at odds with each other to further their own pitiful agenda.

Most Kobe fans have respect for Shaq. I know I do. If he ain’t leave and Kobe and him found a way to make the relationship work, the Lakers would’ve won 6-7 rings.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Kobe won more without Shaq than vice-versa.

And before you play the "Gasol" card (who was winless in the offs before Kobe), Shaq also had the likes of Penny, Wade, Nash, Amare and then James, KG/PP/Ray late in his career.

Shaq won 1 without Kobe (and he was carried to that ring let's be real) despite playing with loaded rosters/stars as well.

Obviously, Shaq was more important to those teams since he was in the middle of his prime while Kobe was still only 23 by the end of their three-peat. But you're undervaluing how much playing with Kobe helped Shaq.

Before Phil came and Kobe turned into a superstar, Shaq was considered a dominant individual player but ultimately a "loser". And it's not like he played with bums as well: Hardaway would've been an ATG if not for injuries, Horace Grant/Eddie Jones/Nick Van Exel all made ASGs, Nick Anderson (other than his FT choke) was a damn good player and Dennis Scott was coming off the greatest 3PT shooting season (at the time) back when Orlando made the finals :manny:
Kobe won more after 2004 than Shaq did because he was 6 years younger. Shaq was 32 and played 12 seasons when he was traded to Miami. Kobe was 26, right in his prime and less than halfway through his career. If he didn’t win more then it would’ve been a problem. Centers don’t really produce at that high a level past 34 unless your name is Kareem. Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, and Shaq all had their big drop at 34-35 years old from top guy on a contender to “should be the 2 or 3 at this point”.

Say what you want about his laziness, but I watched those 4 final trips for the Lakers and Shaq balled his ass off in every single one of those finals.
Well yeah that was kinda the initial problem that caused their beef. From the 2000-01 season onward, Shaq basically treated the regular season as his own personal training camp and would relax in the pool, go to family barbecues and birthday celebrations, and travel the world on vacation during the off-season. He’d play his way into shape and the difference in his physique, cardio, and endurance in November/December and April/May was night and day. He was definitely their best player, but Kobe wasn’t really mad about that as much as he was mad over Shaq not working as hard during the season as a lot of guys on the team were. He also missed a lot of games. He missed 54 games during his last 4 seasons, with 53 due to injury. The quote I posted early in this thread stemmed from that when he waited all off-season to get his big toe operated on until the eve of the season and missed a bunch of games as a result.

Raw Lyrics

Sunset Park
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
What part of Shaq's foundation was there after 04?
full

Phil Jackson initially came to LA because of Shaq not because of Kobe.

With that said, I always preferred watching Kobe over Shaq. Although I did enjoy watching Shaq.

Damnshow

Veteran
Daps
oh they did interview? :mjlol:

they look uncomfortable out there, no matter how hard they try we still know they dont like each other. One is the king of petty the other one just gives no fukk about friends :dead:

yeah kobe I had you, yeah your work ethic was great, we did it you know... "fukk when this interview ends"

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
That's not what I said though.
What I said is he's not as celebrated as Kobe, while being more valuable/essential to that franchise's success.
Was he more valueable essential to the Lakers success than the guy who won more rings with that franchise and stuck with them through the ups and downs?

:jbhmm:

How? Like literally how much more should shaq be celebrated than Kobe in lakerdom, when Kobe spent his whole career with LA and won more championships with LA than Shaq? How does that work, and in what universe? Kobe was an essential piece in every single one of Shaqs all time great NBA finals. For the longest Kobe was panned for not being able to win without Shaq, and then he makes it to 3 straight finals and wins two for LA. I know Kobe Stan's may he annoying, but I'm not seeing this argument. Kobe was the more essential player for the franchise in the long run.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Was he more valueable essential to the Lakers success than the guy who won more rings with that franchise and stuck with them through the ups and downs?

Except he didn’t stick with them. He demanded a trade and the only reason it didn’t happen is because his management and the Bulls could not agree. Not because Kobe had a sudden change of heart.

I mean, I’ve addressed your reply like 8 times in this thread. Without Shaq there almost certainly is no Phil in LA, almost certainly no titles, and who even knows if Kobe develops his raw athleticism into the star he became.

Yet again...it baffles me how Lakers fans cannot see and appreciate this. Maybe you all came of age in 2006 and you think Shaq was a mere footnote. That somehow Kobe made the Diesel great in the ashes of those glorious Nick Van Exel and Anthony Peeler years.

THE MACHINE

night owl
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
More like LeBron Stans are insecure about LeBron’s losing record and try to put Kobe & Shaq at odds with each other to further their own pitiful agenda.

Most Kobe fans have respect for Shaq. I know I do. If he ain’t leave and Kobe and him found a way to make the relationship work, the Lakers would’ve won 6-7 rings.
Most Kobe fans seem to try to put Kobe and Shaq on equal footing for those first three rings. Its been going on for years too. You barely hear or see praise for Shaqs impact on the Lakers. Shaq did more for the Lakers than Bron did for Miami but you would never know it. You can argue that Kobe cost them the title against Detroit trying to be the man but you rarely even hear about that series. It gets chalked up as "him establishing himself as an alpha". Both are top 10 all time to me