Shams: Kyle Kuzma could command $20M-$25M per year contract; Update: Stays in DC for 4 years $90M

Would you give Kuzma a 4 year deal between $80M-$100M??

• Total voters

2legit

Superstar
Daps
Kuzma career FG%: 45.1%
Kuzmz '22/'23 FG%: 46.3%

Kuzma career 3pt%: 33.9%
Kuzma '22/'23 3pt%: 33.9%

Kuzma career eFG%: 52.1%
Kuzmz '22/'23 eFG%: 53.1%

Kuzma career TS%: 54.6%
Kuzma '22/'23 TS%: 55.5%

Kuzma career ORB%: 3.9%
Kuzma '22/'23 ORB%: 3.0%

Kuzma career DBPM: -0.8
Kuzma '22/'23 DBPM: -1.3

He's the same player he's always been, just with more reps and less pressure. Yeah, he looks better and plays with more energy, but it doesn't lead to better results. He's still wildly inconsistent month-to-month and year-to-year, his shooting is still too inefficient for a 6'9" PF, he's still not rebounding on the offensive end, and he's still a minus defender. Those slight improvements in efficiency and energy would likely regress the moment he joined a contender and had to face more pressure and a diminished role.

I like your list more than the others, though don't really know what to do with Randle. I might even put Zubac over Kuzma. Obviously he isn't going to stretch the floor on offense, but he hits the boards hard as fukk, plays efficiently, and holds his own on defense. I'd rather go to battle with Zubac as my backup center than with Kuzma as my backup forward.

Lonzo getting consistent on threes makes all the difference for him. If he could stay healthy he's a valuable piece now. You have Nance surprisingly high but I haven't watched enough to rate, the team does seem to play better when he's on the floor though.
I said a month ago that Kuzma is the same exact player. His number in Washington and LA are identical.

In reality, Kuzma is the same average player now that he was on the Lakers. His numbers with the Wizards and Lakers are nearly identical. It's a fact.

MI1cJec.png

Look at that, it's the same numbers. The only difference is that he plays more minutes for the Wizards because they are sorrier and he gets more rebounds because he is only competing with Porzingis for rebounds instead of competing with AD, LeBron, Dwight, McGee, Gasol, Drummond for rebounds on the Lakers.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC

On Tuesday, The Athletic caught up with the 27-year-old forward and asked him about his free-agency plans, what it’s like to be the subject of constant trade speculation and whether he wants to remain with the Wizards.

(Editor’s note: The conversation has been lightly edited for clarity and brevity.)

How much thought have you given on your free-agency future?

Not much. It’s so early, you know? You don’t go through and are already searching for teams. I mean, some players may. But I’ve been so happy just being here and playing my game and developing that I’m not even really thinking about my future too much, because I’m having fun doing what I’m doing now.

You know as well as anybody how the business works. If the Wizards haven’t already, do you expect them to come to you and ask, ‘Hey, what are you feeling about your future?’”

Have they? No.

Do you expect them to do something like that, because they can’t afford to lose a player like you for no one in return?

Sure, that’s probably coming, you know? But I’ve said from the jump I love being here, because I can play my game and I’ve developed so much. Taking on a new role has been amazing for me. I’ve never given (an) indication of any other thing. … They understand what I’m doing right now. I’m trying to get better and that’s my priority.

Having been traded before, do you worry about the trade deadline?

Nah. I’ve been in trade talks five out of six years in my career. So, I’ve seen it. I’ve been through it. I understand it. I’ve been in trade rumors at the highest of the highest levels year after year. So, I’m numb to white noise and noise in general. I don’t get rattled and I don’t get bothered. I’m really an unbothered person at this point in my life.

You know full well they want to keep you long term.

One hundred percent.

How much of a source of peace is that for you?

Yeah, it is a source of peace, because any time somebody wants you, that’s a good thing. You want to be wanted in this world. You don’t want to be not-wanted.

So, it’s a great feeling. It’s like being wanted to be married, wanted to have a relationship. As a person, you love that, you feel love. You feel that and it makes you alive. It’s a great thing, especially when you think of the landscape of this sport between teams and players. Players are gone year after year. There are such short stints now. For anybody to want to keep you long term, that’s a blessing.

You’ve got eyes and ears. What’s it like for you for one week to be said to be wanting out from the Wizards and then the next week the Wizards are said to be confident that they’re going to keep you?

It’s what I said a little bit earlier: This is all white noise. A lot of speculation. You know what I mean? I’m the only source in this world that knows what I want to do or what I’m thinking. So, people can think. They can say I may want out and say I want to be here or whatever. But nobody really knows but me, and I don’t even know.

Like I said, I don’t get caught up in speculation and all the headlines and stuff, because I’ve been there. I’ve been there and done that. I understand what it is.

Could you see yourself staying in Washington for the long term?

For sure. One hundred percent. They showed me love. They have allowed me to have a platform to show my game and show the league I’m not just a role player. I’m someone that’s arriving right now. That’s the biggest thing for me.

I want to keep elevating. Having a leadership position, having somewhere where I’m developing and playing my game and my role and I’m getting better every single game — that’s what I care about.

SoSoSlick

Still gettin it!
Daps
Reppin
PG County
Kuz situation is kinda crazy. I'd definitely re-sign him but not breaking the bank to do it. Dude is already a match up nightmare every night. If he can take another step is the gamble. You've basically got him for 4 more prime years if he does. If not or he regresses it's awful.

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Kuz situation is kinda crazy. I'd definitely re-sign him but not breaking the bank to do it. Dude is already a match up nightmare every night. If he can take another step is the gamble. You've basically got him for 4 more prime years if he does. If not or he regresses it's awful.
$25 Mil for a Locker Room leader and a guy that can get you 20?:whew:
You cant break the bank for this. IF he was more efficient, I'd be all willing. But its really bad. @Rhakim pointed this out too.

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
We gave soon to be 34 year old Bogdanovic 39 million over the next 2 years. 4 years 100 million is a lowball for Kuzma who should be the best FA on the market
Give us Bojan and you can have Kuz for the next 4 years

Kuzma wouldn’t even be top 5 FA on the market.
Wizards twitter thinking a team will throw a Tobias Harris contract at him is mind blowing.

The Wizards are stupid. They overpay guys. But they aren’t giving him a MAX