Shams: Kyle Kuzma could command $20M-$25M per year contract; Update: Stays in DC for 4 years $90M

Would you give Kuzma a 4 year deal between $80M-$100M??

• Total voters

dh86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Give us Bojan and you can have Kuz for the next 4 years

Wizards twitter thinking a team will throw a Tobias Harris contract at him is mind blowing.

The Wizards are stupid. They overpay guys. But they aren’t giving him a MAX

Why do that when Pistons can have both #capspace. Wiz had Bojan and wasted it already

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Give us Bojan and you can have Kuz for the next 4 years

Wizards twitter thinking a team will throw a Tobias Harris contract at him is mind blowing.

The Wizards are stupid. They overpay guys. But they aren’t giving him a MAX
People keep using the excuse that the cap going to jump, which will make a lot of these contracts not like bad. While it's true, ATL had that same thought process with Collins and we see how that's working out for them.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC

From RealGM Wiz board. Hot damn. @Rhakim @Gil Scott-Heroin @Thavoiceofthevoiceless @Blackrogue

nate33 said:
Kyle Kuzma has been very bad down the stretch.

In the past 21 games, his TS% has been above league average just 5 times. That's really, really bad for a guy with his volume. And it is compounded by his horrific 3 turnovers per game (to just 3.4 assists).

I really hope Sheppard is paying attention when it comes to contract time. I understand that they want to keep him because he was one of the few dynamic players who can do some stuff. But, for the love of God, please recognize that his efficiency is a MASSIVE problem and it will keep the market for his services pretty muted. I seriously doubt anyone will pay more than $18M a year for him. And if they do, let him walk.

nate33 said:
On the season, Kuzma ranks 28th in USG%. He posts a terrible TS% of .542. Only 2 players have a higher usage and lower TS%, Jalen Green, a 20-year-old on the bottom-feeder Houston Rockets, and Westbrook, who was cut from his team.

Of the top 50 guys in USG%, only 7 of them rank lower than Kuzma in TS%:

USG% rank - player - TS%
23 - Jalen Green .530
26 - Westbrook .502
28 - Kuzma .542
29 - Banchero .528
37 - McCollum .539
38 - Rozier .517
42 - Barrett .530
45 - Oubre .532

And Kuzma has a worse TOV% than all of them.

Take a good look at that list. First of all, all of those teams are terrible except NY with Barrett. Secondly, most of the guys are rookie-contract guys on terrible teams who are learning on the job (Green, Banchero), or they are mediocre vets on terrible teams with no efficient first option scorers so someone has to take the shots (McCollum, Rozier, Oubre). Plus there's Westbrook, of course.

The player that resembles Kuzma the most is Oubre. Like Kuzma, Oubre is a 27-year old making roughly $13M on an expiring contract who is absorbing way more usage than he should be for a bad team. The difference is that nobody is talking about Oubre making $25M. He'll probably sign another deal in the $12-16M range.

The other guy that arguably resembles Kuzma a bit is Barrett. Like Kuzma, Barrett plays alongside two much better scorers (Randle and Brunson) but still shoots too much. One big difference is Barrett defends and his team wins. The other big difference is that Barrett is 22 and there is a presumption that he will improve going forward so he has been indulged to shoot more to work on his game. Barrett signed an extension off of his rookie deal last summer that pays him 4 years $107M.

Why in the world would anyone consider paying Kuzma the same contract Barrett got when Kuzma is 5 years older and has no real likelihood of improving? And even if they are reckless and stupid enough to consider paying Kuzma that much, they damn well better not consider paying him even more!

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

I think most of us noticed this 4 years ago, now it's just a constant stream of confirmation. He's a high-volume, low-efficiency scorer who is STILL a minus defender overall.

Kuzma is who he is and it's who he's always been. Posters who were claiming that his game took a leap in the positive direction just proved, once again, they know nothing about basketball.

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
I think most of us noticed this 4 years ago, now it's just a constant stream of confirmation. He's a high-volume, low-efficiency scorer who is STILL a minus defender overall.

Kuzma is who he is and it's who he's always been. Posters who were claiming that his game took a leap in the positive direction just proved, once again, they know nothing about basketball.
:snoop:

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC

I don't see the wild $30M a year offer that Wizards twitter keeps floating for Kuzma. Tommy Sheppard is gone and now Will Dawkins/Michael Winger are running the front office with no attachment to Kuzma.

With the new CBA, I think he may top out under $25M per year.

I keep thinking he gets 4 years and $90M in that neighborhood. Kind of like DeAndre Hunter's deal.