Serious question - when will X-Box start getting games like...

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So what is depth and give me examples? Because to me it sounds like you're basically cherry picking examples of depth and basically relegating "depth" to gadgets/abilities/loadouts. You completely ignored Horizon's myriad of depth with enemies having very specific ways to tackle them and not just blindly shoot them with arrows which don't work. To me it sounds like you guys only consider games with lots of character customizations and weapon/armor upgrades as having depth.

That's some depth but in a nut shell you end up killing things the same way.

Now the bigger enemies they are engaging to kill for sure. But more times that not you are killing humans and other things the same simple way over and over. You can mix it up just to do but it's pretty straight forward.

Think if horizon met monster Hunter or even breath of the wild.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
That's some depth but in a nut shell you end up killing things the same way.

Now the bigger enemies they are engaging to kill for sure. But more times that not you are killing humans and other things the same simple way over and over. You can mix it up just to do but it's pretty straight forward.

Think if horizon met monster Hunter or even breath of the wild.
Breath of the Wild you can kill enemies with the sword, bombs, arrows or other things but you don't need to most of the time. You can beat the game without seeing most things.

TLOU you can kill enemies with nail bombs, different guns, stealth, melee or skip them. The way you kill a clicker isn't the same way you'd engage a human enemy. The point I'm making is we can go all day about how "things are killed the same way" to claim a game has no depth.
It's a weak argument. There's more depth to the gameplay of TLOU than Gears of war as Gears is straight up a shooter while TLOU has way more going on.

This same type of encounter in Gears would've been either to plant a nade, a close range or long range shootout or throwing a nade. TLOU you can upgrade your armor, create a nail bomb or molotov cocktail, shiv someone close up or stealth kill them with an arrow all in that one scenario.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You can button mash your way through a few matches of Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter online and probably win and not have to get "in depth" at all, does that mean those games don't have depth? Difficulty is one thing, ignoring the challenges of a game on higher difficulties and saying the depth doesn't even have to be used is stupid. You can put Halo on easy mode, blast your way through with the same weapons and claim the game has no depth to it's gameplay. Same with games like TLOU, you can't just button mash your way through an intense MP match with people who are skilled.

Would you say this has no depth?

You can't hand the controller off to anyone and expect them to win in this moment.

None of the games I mentioned did I play on easy mode it was either normal, the hardest or second to hardest.

I'm speaking of the system itself and what the game requires of you to be able to do.

I'll put it like this....

I have a friend that was able to beat tlous no problem, but can't beat gow.. or would still struggle with it.

Gow has a certain depth to it that even on normal is challenging and makes you look and think about how everything is tied together from the crafting, to slotting gems and how moves combo together, enemies weaknesses, and you even how you want and need you AI to act...

And that's not even including traversing the map

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Breath of the Wild you can kill enemies with the sword, bombs, arrows or other things but you don't need to.
TLOU you can kill enemies with nail bombs, different guns, stealth, melee or skip them. The way you kill a clicker isn't the same way you'd engage a human enemy. The point I'm making is we can go all day about how "things are killed the same way" to claim a game has no depth.
It's a weak argument.
The beauty of breath of the wild is doing things whatever way you want, that's the depth.

There are only 3 ways to kill a clicker.

Firearms, explosives and melee.

In botw, I can freeze, burn, blow, shoot, shock, drown, and push something to it's death.

Wild having to think about what it can do to me, the weather and the environment. Not to mention the battle system and enemy behavior, type and weaknesses

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
None of the games I mentioned did I play on easy mode it was either normal, the hardest or second to hardest.

I'm speaking of the system itself and what the game requires of you to be able to do.

I'll put it like this....

I have a friend that was able to beat tlous no problem, but can't beat gow.. or would still struggle with it.

Gow has a certain depth to it that even on normal is challenging and makes you look and think about how everything is tied together from the crafting, to slotting gems and how moves combo together, enemies weaknesses, and you even how you want and need you AI to act...

And that's not even including traversing the map
That's an entirely different genre. Again, difficulty =/= depth. The campaign in a game like TLOU can be structured in a way that make it accessible to players but there's definitely a different game there when played on grounded or survivor mode. A mode where you need to take into account lots of things such as ammo count, enemies that can waste said ammo, sound made that would wake up a clicker etc. Tell your "friend" to beat TLOU on grounded mode and it's probably going to give him a tough time.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The beauty of breath of the wild is doing things whatever way you want, that's the depth.

There are only 3 ways to kill a clicker.

Firearms, explosives and melee.

In botw, I can freeze, burn, blow, shoot, shock, drown, and push something to it's death.

Wild having to think about what it can do to me, the weather and the environment. Not to mention the battle system and enemy behavior, type and weaknesses
but you can pretty much ignore doing that for most of the time. That's just the way that game was tailored. TLOU doesn't need you to freeze, burn shock or drown clickers as that wouldn't make sense. You're basically saying for a game to be considered in depth, it has to have all these different types of ways to progress even if doesn't make sense. Why and how would say the player shock an enemy in TLOU? You want them to have the ability to craft electric arrows out of thin air? TLOU is a game set in a semi-realistic world and you're comparing the gameplay system of a fantasy game to a brutally realistic setting. What's next? Why can't Drake triple jump or do a side jump? Why can't Link dismember or shoot bokoblins in the leg to cripple them? Why can't Mario shoot Goombas from far away with a bow and arrow? Again, if you're comparing games to BOTW in terms of depth than no game has real depth according to you, including Halo, Gears or Forza.

Last edited:

PremierDaTruth

Oh well.
Daps
I'm starting to suspect you never really played any of these games you trashing.

TLOU 2 has plenty of real depth(it's literally been compared to MGSV by several reviewers) Dreams is literally the opposite of a theatrical type game and Ghost of Tsushima is a completely different game from TLOU2. Also did you not play Spider-Man or God of War? Lack of depth? :mjlol:

:mjlol:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I have both PS4 and XB1 and I will be getting both next gen consoles as well. I just think a lot of the PS4 exclusives are vastly overrated.
Disagree.
God of War, Persona 5/Royal, Uncharted 4/TLL, Bloodborne and Spider-Man are NOT overrated. Heck, Horizon Zero Dawn, Ratchet and Clank, Gravity Rush 2, Astro Bot(VR game), and Dreams are rated appropriately(85~89). When someone says a game is overrated they're basically being pretentious and are upset other people find enjoyment in something they do not.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Disagree.
God of War, Persona 5/Royal, Uncharted 4/TLL, Bloodborne and Spider-Man are NOT overrated. Heck, Horizon Zero Dawn, Ratchet and Clank, Gravity Rush 2, Astro Bot(VR game), and Dreams are rated appropriately(85~89). When someone says a game is overrated they're basically being pretentious and are upset other people find enjoyment in something they do not.

I own all of these games but Dreams (waiting on PS5 version of it)

God of War and Uncharted have pretty average gameplay. They are epic in story telling. The others have good gameplay.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

God of War and Uncharted have pretty average gameplay. They are epic in story telling. The others have good gameplay.
God of War has average gameplay but the "others" have good gameplay?:gucci:

I'm starting to think some of you guys just aren't really good at shooters or don't like em because out of all the third person shooters I've played this gen, Uncharted 4 was at the very top with how good it felt and I've played among the best. God of War is far from average, if you were talking about God of War 3 and older maybe but the new one? Absolutely not.

Never have I ever disagreed with an opinion so strongly.

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx

Which current gen games do you consider are better than those?