See why African Americans do not want stolen African treasures to be returned back to Africa

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What source are you getting this information from. My post has a source, so put up your source to counter it.
Just Google Oba Esigie.

Btw a lot of those Southern Nigerian ethnic groups are interrelated. There is a lot of cross over between the Edo, Ishan, Yoruba and Igbo and they share overlapping lands.

Last edited:

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
Just Google Oba Esigie.

Btw a lot of those Southern Nigerian ethnic groups are interrelated. There is a lot of cross over between the Edo, Ishan, Yoruba and Igbo and they share overlapping lands.
That is one king, and not the entire scope of the conversation concerning their participation in the Slave Trade. Do you have any source that counters the statements made by the National Geographic about the Benin Kingdom becoming rich off their participation in the Slave Trade?

I gave you a specific source to counter, you return with look up one particular King.

Last edited:

Bonk

God’s Son
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
In Da 15th
Just Google Oba Esigie.

Not entirely true. Just use the map.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
That is one king, and not the entire scope of the conversation concerning their participation in the Slave Trade. Do you have any source that counters the statements made by the National Geographic about the Benin Kingdom becoming rich off their participation in the Slave Trade?

I gave you a specific source to counter, you return with look up one particular King.
Stop being lazy. Do your own research. There are whole scholarly articles written on the subject that explains why the Obas stopped their participation in the slave trade. Much of it goes back to defense and being able to fortify the great wall around Benin. The Obas also saw manpower and production shortages in other areas of their kingdom which led them to the decision to ban the trade.

ReasonableMatic

Daps
Pure Black division.

America wasn’t even the only place people from Benin were shipped off to.

Her logic is rooted in exceptionalism.

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
Stop being lazy. Do your own research. There are whole scholarly articles written on the subject that explains why the Obas stopped their participation in the slave trade. Much of it goes back to defense and being able to fortify the great wall around Benin. The Obas also saw manpower and production shortages in other areas of their kingdom which led them to the decision to ban the trade.
You stop being lazy. I actually looked up my point, presented it, and made it easy for anyone else to find it and refer to it. You are the one who is trying to obscure your point in a general "look up this person" statement. So show those scholarly articles.

Post one of those many scholarly articles up so that it can be read just like I posted one up. All it takes is for you to move your lazy hand to copy and paste in the the addy in a quote. This BS you are doing with telling me to search out the answer to your assertions demonstrates so far that you really do not want your point to be challenged.

Oh look it here, another source that states the Benin Kingdom got rich off of the slave trade.

"From the 15th through the 18th century Benin carried on an active trade in ivory, palm oil, and pepper with Portuguese and Dutch traders, for whom it served as a link with tribes in the interior of western Africa. It also profited greatly from the slave trade. But during the 18th and early 19th centuries the kingdom was weakened by violent succession struggles between members of the royal dynasty, some of which erupted into civil wars."

Last edited:

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Not entirely true. Just use the map.
Edo and Yoruba people shared royalty. Onitsha which is associated Igbo people was actually settled by Benin. Lagos which is largely associated with Yoruba people was founded by the Army of Benin. So yes if you look at the map there is a lot of territorial overlap and interrelatedness among those Southern ethnic groups.