See why African Americans do not want stolen African treasures to be returned back to Africa

Bonk

God’s Son
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
In Da 15th
This link explains the depth of Benin's involvement in the slave trade and also explains some of the confusion that causes people to interpret it as some major player in the trade.
That’s revisionism.

Granted Benin didn’t sell its own people (other kingdoms & empires also didn’t sell their own people apart from Igbos who were sold by their fellow Aros & Dahomey until Gezo outlawed it) - it doesn’t negate the fact that it sold other people.

Benin was a powerful empire that was also very wealthy. Where do you think it got the bulk of its enormous wealth from? Palm Oil trading which became the source of wealth for West African kingdoms towards the end of the 19th century wasn’t even a thing then. You can argue that the numbers being thrown out there by Europeans is bogus since they did more capturing with superior weapons than buying. But saying Benin didn’t sell slaves is a lie.

Perhaps when I have time I’ll post journals from the explorers that were present at the time.

Chattel slavery was a normal thing across the world at that time - no need to deny it. But the heinous crimes committed during transatlantic & trans-saharan slavery weren’t normal & that’s a stain on humanity.

Shabazz

All Star
Daps
That’s revisionism.

Granted Benin didn’t sell its own people (other kingdoms & empires also didn’t sell their own people apart from Igbos who were sold by their fellow Aros & Dahomey until Gezo outlawed it) - it doesn’t negate the fact that it sold other people.

Benin was a powerful empire that was also very wealthy. Where do you think it got the bulk of its enormous wealth from? Palm Oil trading which became the source of wealth for West African kingdoms towards the end of the 19th century wasn’t even a thing then. You can argue that the numbers being thrown out there by Europeans is bogus since they did more capturing with superior weapons than buying. But saying Benin didn’t sell slaves is a lie.

Perhaps when I have time I’ll post journals from the explorers that were present at the time.
Im not arguing benin never sold slaves im saying their participation in the slave trade was minimal. The link talks about what they sold outside of slaves as well.

Bonk

God’s Son
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
In Da 15th
Im not arguing benin never sold slaves im saying their participation in the slave trade was minimal. The link talks about what they sold outside of slaves as well.

If you mean “minimal” in terms of the number of Benin folks sold into slavery - then you’re right. Benin empire had a strong military & it was heavily fortified & surrounded by moat - so slave raiders couldn’t capture them. And it didn’t collapse until during colonial times when they went to war with the British empire & the kingdom got razed to the ground with cannon by British soldiers & was looted.

However, if you mean “minimal” in terms of the slaves they sold - I doubt that based on how wealthy it became. Itshekiri kingdom was a tiny kingdom with no military that got very wealthy by just being middlemen between Benin & Europeans cos they were on the coast & Benin was landlocked. Now imagine how wealthy Benin was.

Bonk

God’s Son
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
In Da 15th
@Shabazz

This is also one of the reasons why very few Benin were sold into slavery:

102CR.jpg

The Great Walls of Benin were a series of more than 500 interconnected earth walls (Edo: Lya) in the area around present-day Benin City. They extended for some 16,000 km in all, took an estimated 150 million hours of digging to construct and were perhaps the largest single manmade site on the planet.

Benin has one of the best history in African civilisations & those bronze heads represent the pinnacle of civilisation & they’re just as important as Egyptian pyramids. Too bad Europeans destroyed & looted everything.

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
She's an agent.

She's making the same bulshyt excuses the British give when told to return African shyt they stole and horded.

Giselle

Bushed
Daps
" The Restitution Study Group (RSG) led by its founder and executive director Deadria Farmer-Paellmann,"

The what and who now?:jbhmm:
That definitely doesn’t look like Black American last name. And Nigerians supposedly opening their own cultural centersomewhere in the dmv area and a Nigerian museum in Florida which is weird to me so I’m sure they’ll have those types of things as well. Go argue with them.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
That statement about that many slaves coming out of benin is likely inaccurate. That kingdom hardly participated in the slave trade from what ive read.
A lot of Edo people were kidnapped by slave traders.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The Dahomey was a Benin tribe. Plenty of people were enslaved from the area of Benin Togo.confusing the Kingdom of Dahomey, which is in the modern day country of Benin uith the Empire of Benin which is in the modern country of Nigeria. The Dahomey Empire were Edo people.
Dahomey were Fon people who are Gbe. The Empire of Benin were Edo people.

That goes to another point though. I think people are confusing the modern names of countries with the Empires that the modern countries named themselves after. The modern country of Benin is not the same as the Empire of Benin which is in Nigeria. The modern country of Ghana is not the same as the Empire of Ghana, which is actually much further West and north of the modern country. The modern country of Mali is in some of the geographic footprint of the Empire of Mali, but the Empire covered many more of the modern countries around the modern country.

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
Dahomey were Fon people who are Gbe. The Empire of Benin were Edo people.

That goes to another point though. I think people are confusing the modern names of countries with the Empires that the modern countries named themselves after. The modern country of Benin is not the same as the Empire of Benin which is in Nigeria. The modern country of Ghana is not the same as the Empire of Ghana, which is actually much further West and north of the modern country. The modern country of Mali is in some of the geographic footprint of the Empire of Mali, but the Empire covered many more of the modern countries around the modern country.
Did you see my second post where I admitted I was wrong about which was which, but still pointed out that the Nigerian version also participated in the slave trade, with accompany source for my statement?

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Did you see my second post where I admitted I was wrong about which was which, but still pointed out that the Nigerian version also participated in the slave trade, with accompany source for my statement?
The Oba of Benin banned slavery in the 1550s. The Edo and the other subjects of the Oba like the Igbo were targeted during the slave trade. One of the most famous slave narratives written during that time was by Olaudah Equiano, who was an Igbo that lived in Benin.

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
The Oba of Benin banned slavery in the 1550s. The Edo and the other subjects of the Oba like the Igbo were targeted during the slave trade. One of the most famous slave narratives written during that time was by Olaudah Equiano, who was an Igbo that lived in Benin.
What source are you getting this information from. My post has a source, so put up your source to counter it.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
This.